Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Jackson drags the entire booth down. That may not be a long way if you don't like Breen & Van Gundy but whatever you think about them they are noticeably worse when Jackson is there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The CBS team is way worse than the Fox team, which mostly has more to do with Phil Simms than either of the play-by-play guys. Simms is insanely bad.

The PBP guy I hate is Thom Brennaman. To me, Buck isn't even in the same universe when it comes to crappy announcers with famous sportscaster dads.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

commy gun posted:

Buck and Aikman are loud and annoying but at least they don't lull me to sleep. Nantz and Simms are the worst.

This. Thom Brennaman is slow and dull and mispronounces names so often its mind blowing.

Plus whenever he starts editorializing he's so smug and retarded that it's painful to listen to. Guys like Buck and Nantz can grate and say dumb crap but Brennaman is a fountain of dumb poo poo emerging from the most tedious, dull, incompetent, Build Your Own Sports Broadcaster imaginable.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
It's probably way easier to just say "the previous play is under review" or call holding on the Seahawks than it is to eloquently explain the thought process behind a call on the fly.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MourningView posted:

They have a lot of hours to fill, and at least it's not Skip Bayless Yelling. Chill the heck out, internet.

Seriously, give me all the weird sports, games, and activities you have over ESPN debate and analysis.

I watched a bunch of darts a few months ago and it owned

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Proven staying power: guy who just retired, other guy who just retired, and cal ripken.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

zakharov posted:

And now Jessica Mendoza has been added. Hopefully he won't be back next year.

Cool. Her/Kruk/Schullmann was probably the most bearable Sunday Night Baseball booth I can remember.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

leokitty posted:

Uhhhh Schulman/Francona/Hersheiser was a legit good booth. Kruk is way worse than Schilling.

I don't think I ever heard that one, I don't regularly watch Sunday Night Baseball and the A's were probably either bad or a season removed from being bad at the time so there was no way they were ever on it.

And I thought Kruk was kind of charmingly stupid next to Mendoza. I like him way more than Schilling.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Honestly, the last person to have a hit piece written about them was AJ Piersynki, which let's be honest was probably earned. Lester didn't sign and the general consensus was that it was the FO's fault for lowballing him, nor can I recall any dirt being thrown Ellsbury's way when he signed with the MFY.

I remember stuff about cespedes being arrogant, lazy, etc that was completely at odds with the rest of his career

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Benne posted:

Tirico's a good PBP guy, but more importantly, he's a perfect "straight man" foil to Gruden's wackiness. ESPN finally got it right with their MNF crew after floundering for years.

Also Tirico always seems really well-prepared and knowledgeable, so when he offers opinions on stuff it carries some legitimacy and intelligence and I don't want to strangle him like I do every time Thom Brennaman opens his stupid mouth.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2016&wk=1

I don't mean to sperg out, but this is kinda what I was getting at in regards to how the NFL fucks up it's scheduling.

There's 12 games between 2 time slots. Yet, there's 9 at 1:00, and 3 at 4:30. The two games on Fox are Cowboys-Giants, and Lions-Colts during that timeslot. I live in Cleveland, Ohio. That is 2 and a 1/2 hours from Detroit, and 5 hours from Indianapolis.

Yet, I will be seeing some lovely NFC East football for whatever reason. ("Because it's the Cowboys! America's team!) It's just amazingly idiotic and seems to be stuck in the 1970's or some poo poo. College Football has this down to a science. Games from 12 PM to as late as 1 AM because of how they're able to divide games up.

There's been a pretty common complaint recently that west coast teams shouldn't have to play in the 10 AM slot when they travel to the east coast and that seems like it'd be a really trivial adjustment to make but the NFL isn't interested so it seems like they value having a thin 1 PM (4 Eastern) schedule. I guess to maximize available viewership for America's Game of the Week starring America's Team The Dallas Cowboys

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I agree, the second half of Red Zone is kind of a bummer when you've watched three hours of nonsense and then you're just alternating drives between whichever major market team has been deemed game of the week and Jaguars-Raiders

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Thom Brennaman is secretly the worst Fox announcer

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Finally, sports talk that doesn't hold back

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Jason Whitlock and Clay Travis have a TV show? Jay and Woody back together? Skip and Shannon BRINGIN IT five days a week? We're living in a golden age guys

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Fox Soccer became FXX

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MourningView posted:

I think the Rams may ultimately be okay but yeah no one here gave a poo poo about the Chargers and that hasn't changed. The Raiders were definitely by far the team with the best chance of succeeding, they still seem to be the most popular team in the area, and I wouldn't be shocked if their Vegas games draw a decent number of fans from the IE.

I'm not from LA but I'd think to the extent anyone there gives a poo poo about the Chargers, it'd be antagonistic since they and the Raiders have been rivals since they both became things.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong but this is the same guy that rips players for taking paternity leave.

So I can’t figure out whether this guy wants men to spend more or less time with their families.

lol yeah he berated a coworker on air for taking paternity leave a few months ago or something

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

This is really impressive but also she really shouldn't have to do that

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

I have no idea either. It seems like something incredibly monotonous and digitally anti-social. Why would I want to watch people play a video game when I could just play it? It isn't like the talent gap is that great from an average person to someone online, as opposed to a regular person and a professional athlete.

the talent gap between joe gamer and a pro is huge

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think he means the part about esports being primarily dudes who shoot people

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MourningView posted:

The skycam is a way better view if you know what you're watching. You actually see all the players and can see the play develop, rather than being blind to everything except the guy with the ball. They did at least one full game with it last year and got a super polarized reaction. Really hardcore football people loved it amd more casual fans hated it. I would imagine there's a lot more of the latter, but like I said maybe figuring out how to do it while also giving a sense of where the first down is will make it more accessible

i know i'm basically the target audience for live skycam but it's weird to me that anyone who hasn't at least like played madden wouldn't be begging for something like that to become standard. sideline cams loving suck.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

iospace posted:

Sideline cams have been the standard for every major sport except baseball and cricket for a reason, and it's not because they suck.

I think that has as much to do with it being way easier to set up a stationary camera that pans vs. inventing skycam when all these broadcast standards were invented ten thousand years ago

i mean for most sports a sideline cam is perfectly fine but I cannot come up with a single advantage it has over an elevated behind-the-back camera for American football if Top Minds figure out the first down marker problem

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

iospace posted:

I invite you to read this post, again:

It also has the same problem with hockey with the above the goal camera, as I mentioned above, but hockey is more "how close to the blue line are they" which could be argued is as important "how close to the 1st down marker are they". Over time, sure one could get used to it, but as pointed out, endzone tickets tend to be cheaper than 50 yard tickets.

That's why I added the "if Top Minds" qualifier. I haven't watched any preseason football so I have no idea how the Green Zone fares but if they figure out how to indicate the first down line and line of scrimmage live I don't think sideline cam has any advantage. Maybe some people will get motion sick?

I think the comparison to stadium seats is faulty because unlike red zone seats, the Skycam is never 100 yards away from the action, and unlike 50 yard seats, the sideline cam doesn't allow you to see what's happening downfield

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Regardless of being able to indicate the first down line or LOS, you still can't tell at a glance if a RB has gained 2 yards or 6 yards because of the perspective and how human beings perceive depth.

Now you're being hyperbolic, there are big white lines every five yards that can give you a hint.

you do lose some precision judging distance but most football plays are immediately identifiable as successes or failures regardless of a yard or two of vagueness. There are a handful of plays a game where it's vitally important I know whether it went for 7 or 8 yards (and if I'm ever unsure, a graphic will inform me in two seconds), there are 130 a game where I want to see the routes, coverages, run blocking, etc.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Yes yes the skycam doesn’t cut off any of the action in American 9 on 9 football.

in comparison...

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I forgive her

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Do I still have to shut up if i did stop watching

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

ALSO.

Doris Burke is a fantastic color announcer and deserves better work. I just wanted to post that and give some love to someone who has earned some respect in a position that can be incredibly noticeable when not done well.

The state of NBA color commentary on national broadcasts is so dire. Doris is a shining light.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I liked how he said Tim Biakabutuka

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Hire away Harlan so he can call the NBA with Doris imo

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think Mike Breen's actually extremely good but he has to work with Jackson and Van Gundy and it's just an impossible task

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

The kicks will always be on national TV games so why not give them good players. I wished they would have rigged that.

i'm glad they didn't because I'm pretty sure I haven't watched ten minutes of knicks basketball in six years aside from mavs games, and i don't wanna start now

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I still don't like Nantz for the most part but going froms Simms to Romo really did a lot for him, he at least sounds alive now

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

Cord cutting doesn't make any sense if you still want live TV. Youtube TV and PSVue are both about $50 a month. Add that to your internet bill and I would imagine getting a TV/internet combo package would be cheaper. Sling is probably the only one that makes any sense since they have some $15 packages, but last time I used that the service sucked.

It probably depends where you are, in my area I can do Vue + Criterion Channel + $15 wild card spot for the same price as my cheapest option that gives me the important live options PSVue does, and that's before equipment fees and the cancellation fee if I want to let it lapse for a couple months between basketball season ending and football starting. The splintering is annoying for sure, only going to get worse, and probably going to eventually coalesce into something worse than cable, but at the moment there are still advantages depending on your viewing habits and the shittiness of your local telecom monopoly

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I don't follow MLS so I looked up this too many teams thing to see the state of things, and got a lol at them having added four teams just since Trump got elected, and an additional lol that there are four more coming by 2022, and then a small final lol at the note that they plan to add two more shortly after. That seems completely insane

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
e: wrong thread

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
What do you mean, that Josh Allen performance was the most life affirming sports thing I've seen in years

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

I love how romos revolutionary style is talk about the game with knowledge

The rare and elite skill of knowing about and enjoying the sport you professionally talk about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The play prediction stuff got Romo lots of meme attention but I honestly think his most important asset is he clearly just really loves football and likes being there. Listening to a Nantz/Romo broadcast vs. a Nantz/Simms broadcast is loving insane, Nantz sounds so much more alive and engaged. Not being a huge dumbass obviously helps and I'm sure aspects of the game that Romo is most familiar with will shift over time but he's a huge breath of fresh air as a broadcast personality because he's one of like five national color commmentators/pundits across NA sports that clearly isn't just cashing checks and waiting for his next tee time