Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The NFL shows don't seem to hit this one, but the college does: why should I care what Washed Up Coach or Washed Up Player that Couldn't Hack It in the NFL thinks? Haven't the demonstrated that they are objectively bad at football?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Anals of History posted:

Was wondering that yesterday with a graphic that covered Gerry DiNardo's coaching background to somehow establish his credibility. Left off that stint in the XFL for some reason.

He's actually the one that made me start thinking this.

I mean...if he's like "What the Wolverines need to do in the second half is X," I'm thinking "given how bad you were at Indiana, I'm not sure your course of action will be the correct one."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I pretend he's like that all the time, screaming catchphrases about ultra-mundane stuff around the house.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I could only watch Spidercam for a few minutes before I wished that's how all football looked all the time and got sad.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

Fox's seemingly massive committee of overthinking marketing execs ruins everything they do.

I am a major capitalist but I'm so tired of cross-promotion and branding because it feels so forced. If it was subtle, it would be magnificent and I would celebrate it. But no I'll be home visiting family and they'll be watching the NASCAR because they turned into hillbillies after I moved away and I loving swear I will stab a dog the next time I hear that gibbering redneck say "SUNOCO RACING FUEL" or whatever instead of...you know...gas. Like a sane person would be allowed to say.

Not literally stab a dog. Figuratively.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wonder what impact, if any, it'll have on the thursday night college games

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Human empathy. It's as useless as the Winter Olympics. This February, on NBC.

--Jack Donaghy

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Badfinger posted:

Everything about this list depresses me.

It confuses me more than depresses me.

How are reruns of Family Guy and American Dad the highest rated cable shows?

Also NBC should just give up on new shows and run Friends and Seinfeld reruns.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

How the hell does Mark Madden have a job?

I was never even sure when he was on. Seemed like...always. I'd be casually driving somewhere, listening to QED until it was pledge drive time, so switch over to the X, and the next thing I know the SUPERGENIUS is wheezing into the mic like his obesity has finally caught up to him because he doesn't know how to use the mute button when whoever he's interviewing is talking.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

C. Think that WDVE doesn't have a good music lineup and instead listen to WXDX.

I thought it was against the law to live within 90 miles of Pittsburgh and not have at least one of your car presets set to DVE

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

Yes, basketball is notorious for it's lack of activity.

Clearly I need to step up my talking about how much I dislike basketball because there's too much activity.

Although the other night I watched my one basketball game per year and I watched an Ohio State player get kneed in the testicles by a Penn State player then for reasons I don't understand PSU got two free throws, so it was all worth it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Too bad spidercam did so badly. There goes my hopes for the death of the sideline camera.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

sportsgenius86 posted:

If it's up to me, it's Nessler.

EA Sports used that pair for so long that it feels like it was already a thing

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When I lived in Erie, we got Buffalo on the TV, the local stations and the papers covered the Cleveland teams, but everyone was a Pittsburgh fan. Basically everyone was on a different page, it was awful.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

erezaka posted:

i drove through there once and there was a building called the Polish Sharpshooters Club so it cant be all bad.

Aside from this business, which always seemed like it was asking for trouble: http://goo.gl/maps/ssA2o Erie was a pretty miserable place all around.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

This is like the store I would have opened when I was 8.

Or now, honestly.

To make it a bit stranger, it had two locations. But only one said "Karate Supplies" on the side. The second one has since been turned into a fireworks and jelly beans store (http://goo.gl/maps/nSvVm), which might be the single most unusual business anywhere.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Can't argue there...

although the History Channel going from the Nazi Power Hour to Ancient Aliens and Bigfoot is definitely 2nd.

Ancient Aliens is technically history.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mornacale posted:

Just like this new documentary I've been hearing a lot about, Game of Thrones.

History: There are these vaguely table-shaped tombs all over Ireland, called dolmen that are megalithic sites dating as far back as 6000 years. How they were constructed is unknown and they would be exceedingly difficult to build with modern technology. You probably wouldn't have heard of that if you weren't watching Ancient Aliens right now.

Not-History: Aliens built them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It looks like a set from some sort of futuresport movie, but not the good kind like Rollerball or Running Man. No, like if they made a movie from that football-like game in Starship Troopers.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hate when things are marketed as "X for YOU!"

Well obviously its for me, otherwise why are you advertising it?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

sketchy t-shirt vendors

Is there any other kind?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

I've accidentally come across golf on the radio before. I...why?

I'm kinda curious how this would even work.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

At one point they were showing like 70,000 hours of poker in prime time. Gigantic blocks of programming devoted to math dorks who got beat up all the time in high school wearing sunglasses and trying to look cool.

Remember when ESPN Classic went from showing things like "top 25 Tyson knockouts!" and "the 1982 Pitt-Penn State game" to ESPNPOKER literally overnight?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

Extreme Sports
NASCAR
Poker
UFC

I remember all four of those being talked about as having the ability to overtake the NFL in popularity or at least being talked about as replacing one of the "Big 4".

...and then the bubble would burst and it was onto the next "Big thing".

UFC sure did obliterate boxing though. Although boxing might not have needed the help.

One time I was at the laundromat and one of the TVs was on a car auction. There were these four positively ancient black guys just going mental over it. Never seen anything quite like it before. Normally I go on monday or thursday and end up watch wrestling with the Hispanic guys in their Tapout shirts.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 17, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

In the 50's and 60's, chess masters and Jai Alai players would occasionally be treated like a big deal.

I loved the Jai Alai plot in Mad Men. So deliciously off the wall.

Never seemed like a good spectator sport to me, though. Like trying to watch people play a faster, bigger, more lethaler squash.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Isn't there some ridiculously big gambling that goes on with Jai Alai? I swear I once read about how it's one of the most heavily bet upon sports in the world.

That's one really simple way to make you super interested in something.

Yeah, one of my friends went all the time when she was in Miami.

Just seems like it's hard to see!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Well you do get 4 to 7 World Series games, so missing a minute of Wrestlemania would be a more significant impact.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

How do we know that wasn't a fan near a mic who really, really likes hockey

I know I made a similar sound of ecstasy when Ulf Samuelsson murdered Cam Neely

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There was an ESPN cologne? Good gravy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That was the scent, actually.

I laughed at this way more than I should have

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cheap Seats wasted way too much time with the goofy title cards and segments. They should have just riffed straight through.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Has anyone just exclaimed "Catchphrase!" in the spot someone would normally attempt to coin a catchphase?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

So It Goes posted:

I legitimately don't know why people draw a line between watching something like NASCAR or video games in terms of whether ESPN should cover it. Both involve no athleticism by the participants, just hand-eye coordination, reflexes, strategy etc. In one event a person controls a car, in the other a person controls an avatar. You have to be a special type of insufferable to complain about video games but simultaneously be okay with poker and NASCAR and bowling and even the spelling bee.

What? NASCAR is an endurance sport.

quote:

The ESPN report showed that Hamlin’s car was 130 degrees throughout the race, that he sweated 3.5 pints of perspiration an hour, lost 13 pounds of water weight during that event and that his neck supports g-forces of 40 pounds in the turns—in a 400-lap race, that’s 800 40-pound reps with his neck. His heart rate was 130 for the event, which is comparable to an endurance runner except that the Coke 600 lasts twice as long as a marathon would.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2013-11-19/are-nascar-drivers-athletes-donovan-mcnabb-jimmie-johnson-fox-workouts

I don't even like any kind of racing, but to call it not athletic is outright inaccurate.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Like we all haven't said worse at the TV.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

Nothing will ever beat Costas calling the St. Louis Spirits 4th quarter collapse "a blow job"

What about that time Madden said something about "pounding the A hole" a few times until he remember to say "A gap" instead.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

skaboomizzy posted:

I only watch ESPN for major sports events like Tim Tebow's birthday.

THE DECISION II

A three hour spectacular wherein we see Tim Tebow try to decide between a sundae and a banana split.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can't hear that song without thinking about the weird violin dude in a waistcoat or the guitar guy with the lion's mane

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

So yes, they would even complain about Roundball Rock.

Counterpoint: pretty good chance John Tesh is a Republican himself

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They should have a show that consists of a few guys that make comments on articles online yelling at each other, so everyone can see how ridiculous half that poo poo would be if you said it out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm not a fan of Pam Ward and Beth Mowins.

I never thought Pam Ward was very good in general terms. There's something about Beth Mowins I don't like and its hard to put my finger on it. I think its her "big play excited" tone. It doesn't sound that different from how she sounds normally.

I often wonder where all those people that call the olympics come from.