Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Vertical Lime posted:

of course they're not gonna bring it up, they paid a lot of money for rights, they have a set narrative and god forbid they pivot away from it

To to the point where NBC is literally broadcasting training runs in prime time. Because god forbid that anyone would be interested in anything other than the U.S. women's team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

MourningView posted:

... but they still had their deal undermined after the fact when the league decided to create the Thursday game

Worse, as far as quality goes, it's now Sunday night >> Thursday night > Monday night.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

DJExile posted:

probably didn't help being on cable, starting at 9:30, and being well in hand by halftime

And on a Monday night.

I have the same issue with the Superbowl. You could have a proper party if they moved the game to Saturday.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

MourningView posted:

more people watch TV on Sunday or Monday night

I'm sure you're right, but these broadcasts are events, not some random sitcom.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A huge part of the Superbowl and football in general's success is based on having Sunday all to itself TV wise. Moving the most iconic championship game in sports to a new day after 50 plus years of tradition would be death.

I kinda agree; I think this is one of the NFL's many, many problems. You used to build your Fall weekends around an early Sunday afternoon kickoff (or, maybe one or two times a year, late Sunday or Monday...but those were the 'big games'). Now, your team might be playing Sunday 3rd slot, Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night, Saturday... or not playing all that week. The comfortable routine is no longer there.

That said, the Superbowl is just once a year (and its not Thanksgiving). There is no routine at play.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

What is even on the golf channel at night, they might as well put on the hockey playoffs

Presumably, the same junk that's on the NFL channel all week and all winter+spring+summer....I can understand things like the Big-10 and SEC networks; they have a ton of new content all year. But building a network around 1 mediocre game/week? And only during the regular season??

Somewhat seriously, The Golf Channel is kinda the Readers Digest of television. Inoffensive filler that companies can put on in waiting rooms.

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 10, 2018