Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

It grows on people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah curling is still going to be live and uncut on like MSNBC or something right?

Edit: Never mind, I missed the complete explanation right above this post. I'll put up a curling thread soon - I've been meaning to do it for a while now.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Badfinger posted:

Point conceded. You're right. HOOT AND HOLLER IT'S THE US OPEN

Injury music reserved for double bogeys or worse.

And injuries, of course.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Chess, on occasion when I was in college (which was cool by me, being a chess guy), but I suppose there's at least some tradition of that getting sports coverage dating back to the Fischer days.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Alain Post posted:

I think it was Bobby Fischer Goes To War that was a good book about him? Not a full biography, I think, but a really good look at the international interest in the Spassky-Fischer matches.

It's a pretty solid read. There are several Fischer movies, some of which are okay, some of which are bad, and one of which features him talking to the ghost of his dead father and goes on for like an hour too long.

There are a lot fewer crazy grandmasters these days, which may have a lot to do with the fact that thanks to computers, the best players now accomplish more in a few hours of study than players in previous generations could do in sessions twice as long. Not zero crazy grandmasters, mind you, but less.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Vertical Lime posted:

Speaking of Francesa, the second annual Francesacon was yesterday. Yes, it exists

http://www.newsday.com/sports/media/mike-francesa-fans-have-a-frantastic-time-at-francesacon-1.9839058

And this time the man himself showed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBL0kDvKXB0

Ahahahahaha, that's incredible. I especially love that they chanted "Fox Sports sucks!" at him, and he didn't try to stop them - he just said "there's a camera rolling here somewhere, so no comment."

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 30, 2015

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Retail Slave posted:

I also think there was an ESPN 900 number, back when 900 numbers were still a thing.

When I saw this post, I remembered part of the jingle: "call 1-900-976-ESPN!"

And then I found video proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

skaboomizzy posted:

I still have the DVDs of "Tilt" sitting unwatched in my bookcase in reserve for when something knocks out my internet. I saw the first two eps as they aired and I'm sure the rest will be just as delightful.

I wipe my rear end with eight grand! Nine, if I've had chili.