Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Cowherd has been a shitbag for years but now that he's an expensive shitbag, he's finally a problem. Hooray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Even if Brady wins?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Credit card thief Doug Gottlieb says Aaron Boone should be on ESPN Sunday baseball instead of Jessica Mendoza because you need to play the game to know how to cover it. Yeah OK

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Haha he deleted all the tweets saying that using some app Mark Cuban promotes

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

I've been out of the loop. Why exactly did he get fired?

To "re-energize" the team's broadcasts. No, really.

I guess the new guy is cheaper, too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I'm not knocking you guys because it's ESPN's problem, but who the gently caress still cares about SportsCenter

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It's a good book but I found it very dry until you get to the part where they hire Keith Olbermann. Then it really picks up.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Nickelodeon book sucks, it's very poorly edited and organized

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I used to work with a guy who had a baseball pager that told him score, runners on base, outs, inning, stuff like that.

Also:

95 cents per minute
Call 1-900-976-ESPN

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Oh drat I can't remember who this was now but I remember some athlete had his dad hold the phone up to the TV for him for one of those old Florida State games and when the dude missed the field goal at the end he hung up on his dad without even saying goodbye.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

They have to protect their own basketball brand by using

LOL do they even have a basketball song? I'll remember the baseball and hockey songs forever but I can't even think of a basketball song.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Benne posted:

You could always join the dark side and watch cool and good European soccer at 12 p.m. ET instead of lovely-rear end Big Ten football

There's nothing like having a kid to make you appreciate sports that are (1) on at 7:45 am on weekends and (2) over in less than 2 hours

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

ESPN seemed like a godawful place to work during the boom times and I can't imagine being there now

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

And after I pay for ESPN, Fox, NBC, Be In Sports, and my regional channel, I'm probably close to what my cable bill already is. I have no faith in the industry that ala carte packages will be as great as everyone thinks.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

But remember, if the big ten had to share a single penny of that with the players they'd go broke and have to replace all sports with club teams

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Hey expensive hot take machine Stephen A Smith is defending domestic violence again, if ESPN needs to cut corners they could find a million dudes on Twitter to do the same for minimum wage

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

MourningView posted:

Danny Kanell is dumb as all hell just in general.

Thinks there's a "war on football", thinks "Redskins" isn't racist, thinks college athletes shouldn't be paid, he's either really stupid or the highly suggestible type

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Rick posted:

I absolutely still care about the Rose Bowl, and care about it more than any other bowl. If there's been any tarnish on its legacy it's been trying to accommodate the NCAA's post season over the years instead of just being what it is.

To keep it "what it is" would require the PAC and Big to agree to never win a national title again.

The "BCS National Title Game", even before the playoff, did more to damage the bowls because it made the big four games consolation prizes.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Why were there all those low-tier bowl games on during the afternoon on days that basically no one had off?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I just watched ESPN.com's highlight clip of the Packers/Cardinals game and holy poo poo was it bad. Like "boom goes the dynamite" guy bad. Please tell me this was some intern level person they pulled out of an edit suite to do a quick and dirty voiceover for the website because I was better than that when I was 19 doing campus TV at Syracuse.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Didn't someone figure out that their celebration story wasn't even true

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Goddammit they just settled the MLB TV lawsuit. No terms out yet but so much for blowing up the blackout model.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Option number 1: shitcan Stephen A Smith, Skip Bayless, Darren Rovell, and the other useless turds being paid millions to do gently caress all

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Niwrad posted:

wanting to punch Doug Gottlieb in the face.

don't we all :allears:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

NBC kept the score bug off Notre Dame football way after everyone else was using it too

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

One of the best Onion picture-only stories was "Televised sporting event completely obscured by on-screen graphics"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm surprised Fox never tried the puck-with-a-trail trick for long passes in their NFL broadcasts.

With the advances in player and ball tracking in soccer I'm surprised this hasn't made any kind of comeback in the US big 4. It wouldn't need to be ugly and intrusive but surely it's a lot cheaper and easier to put RF tags in pucks, balls, jerseys, or whatever now than in 1995. Soccer has stuff like goal line technology, distance covered, average speed, stuff like that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

Erin Andrews: ESPN Forced Me To Go On TV And Talk About My Stalker

http://deadspin.com/erin-andrews-espn-forced-me-to-go-on-tv-and-talk-about-1762058985

The worst corporate culture.

The replies to Deadspin's tweet for this story are basically as low as the internet can sink

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The ratings for the NFL Draft and the Pro Bowl are intervention-level troubling

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Why does the NFL keep doing Hard Knocks if everyone hates it? There's a report now that the Rams drafted Michael Sam in exchange for not being the featured team.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

You can like wrestling and Star Wars all you want, but those are two things that ESPN doesn't need to go near but of course do so anyway in the name of the almighty dollar

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

You can buy it here

http://www.shelflifeclothing.com/shirtpages/caucasians.html

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

He's not sniping at a co-worker so he's fine

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

MourningView posted:

Torico is bad and boring and a gigantic creep

I mean, there were sexual harassment stories about him way before people even pretended to care about sexual harassment.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

OK I get Netflix and whatever but me and just about everyone I know livetweets whatever sports event they are watching (via who knows what means, though)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

If two people ever deserved to fall over a ballpark railing and get flattened like at the end of Naked Gun, it's those two.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Deathlove posted:

Crab rangoon.

that's preposterous

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

There is not a single person on earth who understands the NFL rules, whoever replaces him will have the same problem

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's a top 5 all time tweet. It gets me every time.

also "that's preposterous. Crab rangoon, things of that nature"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Jay and Dan's bank accounts probably don't think they made a mistake