Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

haljordan posted:

Of course the useless ESPN affiliate here won't be carrying Dan LeBatard's show, why air something that people might listen to? Then again, this is the station that gave some shithead named Bruce Jacobs a job (at least today is his last day) and also just fired two guys for getting completely swindled by a fake Shane Spencer on air. ESPN 104.5 THE TEAM!!! gently caress YEAH!!!

I can barely listen to my local ESPN radio station because everything is delayed 3 hours. I get Mike & Mike till like 10am and then Cowherd through lunch. It's hilarious though when you hear them speculating about poo poo that has already happened in real time but because of the time delay hasn't for them and they are hilariously wrong.

So instead I listen to CBS sports radio and hear Jim Rome and Doug Gottlieb. But, since I'm in Arizona it's still better than the right wing poison on literally every other station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Craptacular! posted:

If you can take Outdoor Life Network, add an uncomfortable amount of cagefighting and hockey until you have to rename it "Versus", and then stick a peacock logo on it and make people suddenly accept it as a serious sports channel then FS1 shouldn't be having much of any problem. People associate the NBA with TNT of all channels, so recognition can be easily had.

Fox News wasn't what it became overnight, either. Give them a bit to begin really leveraging their licenses with NFL, etc. Though I don't know if they're going to be able to pull baseball fans away from MLB Network, I'm under the impression there's not many of those anyway.

It helps that Inside the NBA on TNT is probably the single best sports program on TV too. I know people who don't even watch the NBA who will tune into it to watch Charles Barkley jabber about this and that. I know I set my DVR to record it when I can only watch parts of games. It really is that good.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

With the addition of frank luntz this can only have dark portents

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

FuzzySkinner posted:

Anyone else digging the TNT/TBS/CBS integration for March Madness?

Save for the whole "Jim Nantz is our lead announcer" thing, it feels like they have a good thing going on.

Always felt the Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith studio team made the NBA Playoffs quite fun to watch.

I wish those guys would cover the NBA Finals over ESPN.

The TNT NBA Countdown show is the best thing on TV for sports. You don't even have to watch the NBA to enjoy that show. Bob Costas winning best host over Ernie is a travesty.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

FuzzySkinner posted:

Any one else ever watch arena football?

(probably not)

They just showed something pretty incredible the NFL likely would never do in a million years on the CBSSN broadcast I'm watching.

They actually mic the refs up during a replay, and have them explain their ruling to the audience while they're looking over the play.

Liked it quite a bit.

Arena football is awesome to watch and that part I always rave to my friends about because its amazing how much you actually can understand exactly what they are looking at and why they did what. I love it.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Benne posted:

What the hell, the kitchen was the best part about the show :(

I will always believe that they were running the show out of Papi's kitchen.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Benne posted:

Looks like the NBA is re-upping with ESPN and Turner. Details will be released tomorrow.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/09/08/Media/NBA-media.aspx

According to twitter

Richard Sandomir ‏@RichSandomir
NBA to announce $24 billion/9 year deal w/ ESPN and TNT on Monday. Annual average value nearly 3x current deal.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

OrangeKing posted:

It's a pretty solid read. There are several Fischer movies, some of which are okay, some of which are bad, and one of which features him talking to the ghost of his dead father and goes on for like an hour too long.

There are a lot fewer crazy grandmasters these days, which may have a lot to do with the fact that thanks to computers, the best players now accomplish more in a few hours of study than players in previous generations could do in sessions twice as long. Not zero crazy grandmasters, mind you, but less.

Theres a chess grandmaster that streams on Twitch.tv. It's really cool to watch him destroy multiple people at once and play games in less than a few minutes in some kind of weird super fast chess league while explaining his reasoning. He also posts stuff on youtube though he's been doing less streaming of late. I think his first name is Jerry :shrug:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's just amazing how night and day better that whole crew is versus the ABC/ESPN crew.

Hearing Sir Charles talk during a blow out made me actually sit through the whole thing just to hear him shoot the breeze and speak his mind.

The Breen/JVG/Mark Jackson crew? Ear Bleeding bad. Their banter is just really awful.

I actually thought Breen and JVG were pretty good together but the addition of Mark Jackson is just awful.

The TNT crew is the best on TV. EJ I agree is underrated and when he gets snubbed for Bob loving Costas for those awards for best Host it's a travisty. I think the most surprising thing to me is how good Chris Webber is at announcing a game and also being on the TNT panel. He fits in way better than Shaq does. I know I'm in the minority but I also like Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons together. The ESPN panel of Bill Simmons, Sage Steele, and Jalen rose was pretty great to listen to too. Barkley is the star of it all even when he says stuff I disagree with. I am just glad I get to experience it twice a week. Also imo SAS should sponsor EJ one week.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Benne posted:

If G4 hadn't withered and died out they'd be the perfect home for televised game events (I'm not calling it loving "esports").

But really, is there any real audience in that field that Youtube and Twitch aren't covering already?

Just you wait. You're gonna go home for Thanksgiving and your dad is gonna be screaming at League of Legends and talking about the latest balance patch.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Incredible

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

B-b-b-b-but Bill Simmons wasn't fired for taking shots at the NFL!!!!!!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Jamelle Hill is awful. I hate you for even considering this as a good idea.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Was it actually that bad?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/jerodbrown62/status/727163808431542272

Uhhhhhhhhhhh what the heck?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Marquis de Pyro posted:

People complained about the Walking Dead premier being brutal and hard to watch, and yet that many people watched Seahawks/Cardinals????????

That will end up being GOTY, mark my words.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the context for this? Did Garnett just lose a tough game? Does he just always deadpan his smack talk? I was trying to find the humor but it just seemed mean. :(

Your Taint posted:

I didn't see a problem with it. Seems like joking around between friends, or at least friendly acquaintances. Sager seemed like a guy with a good sense of humor and thought it was funny.

I could be totally off base and maybe Sager was pissed afterwards and/or KG was being a dick, but it didn't appear to be that way to me.

And o/t but I would watch the loving poo poo out of an Olympics channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDB4hnFjJ-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNBYeu18y8E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY11De7h3BQ

It was sort of a tradition to hate on Sagers suit. KG was one of Sagers best pals and they joke around in every interview. KG was iirc the very first person to call Sager when he heard the news and sent him a ton of flowers as a get well present. I think one of the reasons it might have come off mean is if you haven't watched the NBA much but watch a lot of football where it is so sanitized that there is no personality. Craig was probably the most beloved person in the NBA and KG is also a legendary trash talker.

That suit was real bad though.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 16, 2016

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I feel so dirty for admitting this but I actually enjoy watching Around the Horn and I cannot adequately explain why. I guess I just enjoy Tony Reali? he seems to have the only good sports opinions at ESPN other than Lebatard.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I love when this stuff happens

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://sportfacts.org/nfl-redzone-saved-viewers-from-35-hours-of-commercials-this-season/

Jesus christ. This is why your ratings are down NFL

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

lmao

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

sportsgenius86 posted:

I mean, they'd probably interview every woman in direct contact with Horowitz to find out if anything had happened to them too, so does that one line really mean anything?

I think it's more no one can think of any other prominent on air women other than her.

Either way it's really funny coming off of that awful announcing article

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So she was probably the one Horowitz was harassing then? It feels too close in time to be a coincidence

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I think which station you like also depends if your favorite team was NFC or AFC from what I've seen

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Kibner posted:

She was being sarcastic.

maybe hes a nazi and is mad that she doesnt like nazis

its pretty common for internet people to be nazis now

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

C. Everett Koop posted:

Someone's gotta fill Tirico's jack of all trades role.

I think the weirdest thing was seeing Tirico hosting the replays of the 1992 dream team games on the Olympics Channel

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I can't stop laughing at this

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/alexqarbuckle/status/916806150473113601

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

lol stephen a. keeps giving

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i've heard cotton-pickin' a bunch in Tennessee and it's normally from very old folks or middle aged dudes trying to be folksy but jeeze that's not a word announcers ought to be using. i feel like it's in the same category as gyp where people don't really think about it until it's pointed out to them. but oof that's a bad clip

this was me. i had no idea about the gyp thing, i thought it was just getting screwed out of something. boy was my face red when someone pointed it out to me lol

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://deadspin.com/thunder-call-out-announcer-for-saying-russell-westbrook-1825225445

apparently the thunder realized it was bad

quote:

“We think obviously the use of that term was offensive and inappropriate, and I expressed that to Brian last night,” Mahoney said Thursday. “Brian assures me that it was not meant in any derogatory way, and he apologizes. But again, we feel strongly that it’s inappropriate and offensive.”

sure am glad he's gonna have to apolo-

quote:

Mahoney said that they wouldn’t force him to apologize or address his comments on a future broadcast. “That’s really up to Brian,” he said. “Again, we’ve expressed to him strongly that it was offensive and inappropriate, and that’s all we can do for right now.”

oh

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MourningView posted:

I'm almost never home to watch midday ESPN but pretty much everyone in the extended LeBatard crew is really good and fun and they've increasingly started building it mostly around them. Even Around the Horn, which used to be the dirt worst, has its moment now because it works people like Pablo, Bo, and Mina into the rotation a lot. If they could just dump all the old newspaper hot take guys from when the show started it'd probably be genuinely good.

i like tony reali a lot even if hes like bill simmons and talks about the wire a lot

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MourningView posted:

There are still a couple broadcast teams without one and that's hosed up imo. Also Romo was almost immediately by far the best color guy so I'm all for them adding more recent players rather than old guys who are gonna harumph about Establishing The Run or whatever

i think its more that the best color guys are the former players but once they are out of the league for 2 or 3 years they begin to suck

rotate new retired dudes in

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m glad he backed off of politics somewhat, as he was becoming a broken record.

you can only be right for so many decades

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MourningView posted:

I assume they'll figure it out eventually, they're all too talented not to. HQ was weird as hell for the first year or so too.

HQ year 1 was the best tv show ever made

papi is a national treasure

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Robnoxious posted:

XTRA Sports 1090 is the only one I know of... it's the only way Jim Rome gets into the LA market unless they finally dropped him.

edit: Turns out they did... Rome is on virtually nothing now. Too much Smacktalk I guess. :rip:

lol is rome really dying nationally? hes still on here in az on cbs

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1019688258064617472
https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1019318572319891456

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh yeah I glossed over that. That’s a weird take

Yeah these are the dudes that swat people and get the cops to shoot them