Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DJExile posted:

Yeah I think recent ratings showed First Take was their biggest show by a pretty wide margin.

Wait, people actually watch it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Simmons podcast with Al Michaels is phenomenal. He talks about OJ, Pete Rose and a bunch of other stuff regarding broadcasting.

It was a really spectacular podcast, and I know it's his thing that simmons does, but goddamn does simmons make anything related to boston the worst most petulant poo poo.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Pro Bowl gets better ratings than the goddamn World Series.

But worse than the MLB all star game.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

They need an arm with experience to lead them back to the big game.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Unmerciful posted:

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/758862033072762880
https://twitter.com/AnyGivenWeds/status/758860065944113155

HBO must have buyer's remorse so loving bad...

Also Rapaport gives one of the most amazingly bad acting performances of all time in season 4 of Prison Break - the show had already lasted 3 seasons too long at that point but he turned it into a must-watch for me.

He's terrible in Justified, still wasn't able to make it not the best show.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

So the NFL is forcing almost 72-year old Al Michaels to call NBC's Thursday Night games instead of MIke Tirico

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/767026991510028288

Is Al also doing SNF? I remember him saying that doing SNF and TNF on the same week is always bad because between the travel and double preparation you always end up with two bad broadcasts.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

Homerism is fine, homerism when you spend the entire game bitching about refs and other players is unbearable, homerism where you scream about how yer playin' this game UNDER PROTEST DADGUM IT is kind of amusing, homerism when you are physically incapable of calling an opposing walk-off home run is kind of amazing, but it goes with all the other stuff.

The best thing is now Steve Stone splits his time between Hawk and Jason Benetti so you get a direct comparison on how Stone is an excellent color guy but still can't save a broadcast from Hawk.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I wonder who Steve Stone pissed off in a past life to get set up with play by play guys.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So I can understand that people might hatewatch Skip Bayless but do people actually like him on TV?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Do you mean to tell me that two poo poo football teams playing a West Coast kickoff time wasn't much of a TV draw???

The poo poo :taco: game was one of the greatest ever.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Mariotti got into it with pftcommenter on twitter the other day and it was the first time I thought of him in...well quite a while at least.

How do you get in a fight with pftcommenter? That's like trying to fight @dril?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Important point from Scott Van Pelt: Since Bill Walton is 6'11" that almost certainly means he had to have that sequinned Uncle Sam suit custom-made just for tonight.

Like 80% chance Bill just had that in his wardrobe and wears it around the house.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

iospace posted:

Welcome to every baseball broadcast ever.

What if they were both Bill Walton?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is it still impossible to watch baseball from the states of Iowa or Nevada?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DJExile posted:

Congrats to shithead Boston sports radio station WEEI and Alex Reimer, who have now managed to piss off Tom Brady after saying his 5 year old daughter was "being an annoying little pissant” in his documentary.

Cool to see Tommy's daughter learned it from dad.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

algebra testes posted:

How quickly did Boxing fade to irrelevance? Is that going to be the road map for the NFL?

Not that fast overall, took 20 years to really decline.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm watching some Rugby thing and its super cool the ref is mic'd up and you can clearly hear what he says during the run of play

I wish US sports would do this

Players and refs are mic'd up commonly in all 4 big sports.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Robnoxious posted:

Hasn't that been the Pro Bowlers Association since it's inception?
Man... the PBA really hasn't been the same kind of event viewing since Chris Schenkel stopped called the frames. :sadpeanut:

At least with professional bowling it's 100% clear what the bowlers are doing is really super hard to do. This professional cornhole is really just tossing a beanbag sorta accurately.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Timby posted:

Ten hours? Wasn't Made in America only, like, eight?

But Jordan murdered three people in the 90's.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Berman doing Red Sox PBP is going to be unbearable

I mean I've listened to Boston area home telecasts and is it any worse?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ungratek posted:

I just checked and Francesca is right. It’s never happened

if the pope says it... its fukkin canon

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

angrygodofjebus posted:

Bill Walton is calling a White Sox game with Jason Benetti and this sure is a press release:

I'm glad Jason is upgrading from senile and bitter to senile and joyous.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What's currently the cheapest way to get espn, tnt, nbatv, and local sports fox sports affiliate to get local nba team + the national games?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DJExile posted:

Goddamn, I'd forgotten how gargantuan an audience that Cubs/Indians game 7 drew :stare:

To be fair that was the best narrative matchup basically ever (especially pre cavs).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

illcendiary posted:

That was post Cavs title though

ah, whoops, for some reason I though it was 6 months prior.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Has anyone compiled a supercut of character assassinations of players leaving Boston area sports teams?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
edit: wrong thread

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Has Stephen A gone on Wendy? I feel like it might be too much for this world.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MourningView posted:

That's more than he made in all but 3 seasons as a player, goddamn. Good for him.

To be fair he was a good qb but he's a better announcer.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My guess is how they wasted Felix Hernandez

There's going to be a graph of supporting OPS for all the pitchers in the league vs ERA and he's going to be a 2 sigma outlier for both.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Are they going to do home and away crowd noises?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
We already got a Hernandez doc. I'd take a Gronk doc or belichick or randy moss or wilfork before Brady.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I listened to the undertaker interview on the bill simmons podcast and man is that dude a toady for Vince.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Pointing out that people don't care about cycling is kind of irrelevant since the US has always been willing to take one person from a niche sport and make them a superstar, just like Michael Phelps or Jackie Joyner Kersee.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Being popular for a bit of time doesn’t really matter. MJ is still basically as popular as he was the same can not be said of characters like Lance who were more a passing fad

Jordan absolutely is not as popular today as he was in the 90s.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I want to find the producers of that a rip a big juice fart in their face

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm sad that people are getting fired and the media in general getting disassembled but the sports media class of the people who go on the yell-about-sports shows are not who are top on my list of personalities I care about

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well they also didn't renew LeBatard who is the opposite of that, so it's just generally a 'if you make money we are just going to replace you with someone cheaper because we need to spend more on live sports'

I mean that seems fine on a macro scale because basically any sports whatsoever is better than any non-sports content they've ever made.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What does DJ Khaled do?

He yells "DJ Khaled" from time to time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

fartknocker posted:

A while back, either ESPN or NFL Films/Network did a(nother) documentary on Vince Lombardi, and for part of it they used an impersonator to deliver do a lot of his quotes. They mostly filmed him from behind or silhouetted to obscure the face. Al Davis vs the NFL was basically the 2021 version of that same thing, and the results were similarly mixed. I liked the underlying story behind it, but the deep fake stuff felt like a gimmick that could have easily been left out.

Did they get the faux Lombardi to complain that he didn't want no dr looking up his butt?