Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

DJExile posted:

Yeah cord cutting didn't hurt this nearly as bad as the decision to put the #1 team in the country on TV when drat near nobody could watch it, especially outside the eastern time zone. If I was a sooner fan i'd have been pissed.

On the west coast it basically meant skipping dinner with the wife, on what is basically a holiday, to watch football.

Not gonna happen, and that was the stupidest loving choice ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mahoning posted:

People over 25 actually go out on NYE?

Wife and I generally go out for dinner, then relax at home.

So sports aren't part of that.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Thaddius the Large posted:

I've asked this question every time I've ever seen him, but how the gently caress does Michael Rappaport keep getting work?

How the gently caress does anyone with that atrocious accent get work

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't think millennials like professional sports any less than previous generations.

Possibly more due to fantasy and daily fantasy.

But they are also far less likely to have cable.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Since when is that a white supremacist thing? That was what we did to each other on the ship, and if you looked it meant you were trying to look at a dick.

I mean, still super regressive but goddamn. To the majority of people that would have nothing to do with a supreme race. If anything it's a sign that you're a hosed up child.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Niwrad posted:

As long as radio stations exist in Chicago, Mancow will be working.

It's funny because this is the 3rd rock station he's worked for and they all went under while he was there. They never learn.

I remember thinking he was hilarious on 103.1 when I was in elementary school, waiting for the school bus every morning.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think I was the only person who watched Cold Pizza

I watched it, but only because I was a teenager and had nothing else to do during the summer that early.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ramadu posted:

i think its more that the best color guys are the former players but once they are out of the league for 2 or 3 years they begin to suck

rotate new retired dudes in

Id be all for this. Announcing teams in every sport must be players no more than 5 years out of the game.

I think hockey would be the funniest, as they actually still have personalities usually. At least the ones who would do it.

I'd pay good loving money to hear PK Subban and Brent Burns in a booth, with an asshat like Marchand on the ice. Those 2 would be hilarious, and the mic'd up takes from players chirping Marchand would be goddamn amazing.

Or even better, Luongo.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

AsInHowe posted:

The solution here is to bring a 3rd man into the booth during the playoffs, among teams already eliminated.

If Tampa beat Boston, for example, Marchand could do color commentary on the final two rounds.

"Oh hit him! Dirty little prick."
"Brad, you tried to lick his face."
"Yeah, well, can you blame me? He looks delicious."
"Time for commercial."

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

exploded mummy posted:

In terms of North American wrestling of the major first run shows on nationwide broadcast or cable

1. WWE Raw
2. WWE Smackdown
3. Ring of Honor TV
4. Impact Wrestling (Formerly TNA Impact)
5. Lucha Underground

would be the order in viewership. Out of all of them people consistently probably like Lucha Underground the most, though we'll see if it holds since the petals have been coming off the rose and their hiatuses keep killing them

Raw and Smackdown haven't been consistently great in a while, at best consistently mediocre these days but it's a habit to a lot of people.

ROH tends to have technically good wrestling, but their TV show is kind of negligible in things mattering

WWE also has 2 other web service shows (205 Live which is a cruiserweight exclusive show and NXT which is their developmental)

Also New Japan can be great if you're into it, but it's a clip show of taped Japanese matches (and some really great matches) but it's also on AXS si it doesnt fr a ton of play.

I haven't liked wrestling since I was really young (whatever the era was called from like 93-00) but I will watch the living poo poo out of Lucha and New Japan.

Also off topic but sort of on, the Netflix show GLOW was awesome.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That makes sense, because I was for sure a small child during that period.

Shawn Michaels was also much better, by the way. :colbert:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

exploded mummy posted:

Shawn Michaels was also an egostistical pillhead that once had a match rebooked so he would beat a guy for a title in front of said guy's cancer stricken sister after the guy dedicated the match to her.

I'm not hearing anything that changes my opinion.

Get better white blood cells.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

exploded mummy posted:

kind of hard with bone cancer

He should have also poured milk on them.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Chart Party is the best sports broadcasting that currently exists.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Truth.

The poo poo he covers is so weird sometimes but I'll still sit here and watch for hours. Fairly sure I've watched every episode of Pretty Good while home sick as gently caress today.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Peanut President posted:

I'm glad that thanks to new math 3.74 is now less than .8

...its not? Cable does not equal broadcast.

Also, a lot of the Indy number is likely due to the headache in streaming ABC/ESPN3 versus NBC. I expect number next year will look better.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Niwrad posted:

I'm waiting for the day one of these companies says gently caress it and gets the rights to the NBA or NFL.

I feel like NBA will happen in the next 2 years, at least for a decent chunk of games. NFL in the 20s, after it crashes and burns in a couple years because the owners are whiny racist pissbabies.

MLB and NHL both have decent streaming already, and can easily be made much better.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So after a shooting during a madden tournament that got broadcast on twitch live, so you think this will help or hurt broadcasting of esports which are primarily made up of these dudes who keep loving shooting people? (Or crashing their car into them)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Dutchy posted:

I think he means the part about esports being primarily dudes who shoot people

It was a bad joke about esports being a lot of young white dudes not getting laid, which lately is the archetype.

By lately I mean since like the 1860s.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What if I told you a man could run into another man's rear end?

30 for 30 presents: The Buttfumble.

I give it 2 years and that will legit be a 30 for 30.

It's just amazing that as poo poo as ESPN is at everything else, 30 for 30 continues to loving rock.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Well the four man booth for the Eagles@Jags game wasn't terrible, and whoever was directing traffic in there did a superb job of not having four competing voices talking over each other, as well as bringing in both sideline reporters. Mooch was probably the worst of the four, Eisen took a few series to get into a groove, but Michael Irvin was practically revelatory. No bombast, just calm methodical analysis when called upon

Everything I've seen with him seems to be he plays up an act when the spotlight is on him and for attention, but he isnt dumb and could honestly probably be a decent announcer.

But only white cowboys get announcing gigs, black dudes gotta go yell on daytime shows to make a buck.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

That is goddamn amazing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Henchman of Santa posted:

I just can’t get over it being pronounced “Da zone,” especially because my brain automatically fills the middle with “mothafuckin share”

I always read it as da azn, like early 00s edgy typing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Declan MacManus posted:

the 757 demands a pro team, they’re horny for it

stephen a is a delight and max is good at talking about boxing and zero other things

My thing with Norfolk/HR getting a team is will they actually go and be fans? I see it having that many viewers as a symptom of the population base (primarily transient, not native) watching their home town team.

But I could be way off.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

My wife has never given a poo poo about soccer and watched every match. I think there were a lot of people in that same boat.

Thise were some good rear end games, too.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

hcreight posted:

Greg Hill is a MAGA shithead so WEEI isn't exactly improving here.

Well, yeah. Hes from Boston, we already know hes a racist poo poo pile.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

algebra testes posted:

40,000 dollars a month on Marijuana?

That seems

*takes off glases*

*slow zoom*

high!

The amount some of these dudes smoke is loving crazy. Wiz Khalifa said he goes through like 2 oz a day by himself.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

In 20 years ESPN will be completely overrun by hot take shows, like you'll tune in for Monday Night Football and there'll be a guy saying that only children enjoy ketchup on their hotdogs.

You said hot takes, not correct takes.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rick posted:

This is big, because audiences have shown they just completely ignore the Pac-12

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Edward Mass posted:

NBC Sports Gold is a series of passes - unless ALL of the passes are on there, I'd expect it to stick around.

It's such bullshit. Not sure about other sports, but if you watch multiple types of racing you somehow never have the correct number of passes to watch everything.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

sportsgenius86 posted:

Those marble runs are oddly captivating.

I stumbled on them about a year ago and watch them quite a bit, however my wife does not get it at all and is convinced I'm the only person dumb enough to watch it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Spoeank posted:

I acknowledge they understand television shows exist when they are in front of their eyeballs but it's like their TVs only show new run episodes of shows and reruns of The Wire

The Wire is HBOs best streaming show during this poo poo, it's not just him.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

DJExile posted:

Today's live stuff. Enjoy your sunday.

Nascar also has trucks at 930am (rained out yesterday) and xfinity at 1230pm. First time in history for all 3 series to run on one day.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

R.D. Mangles posted:

australian football is the most exciting sport where it is legal to jump on people's heads

7's

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

xbilkis posted:

The great ones tell their brain chemistry "not today"

If its reap depression the body has a way of just shutting that down

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Benne posted:

DJ Khaled mastered the art of getting rich and hanging out with famous people while doing as little work as possible

poo poo, dude did the minimum with his wife too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

fartknocker posted:

It was pretty good and the GDT for it got goldmined if you want Goon's live reactions to the insanity (Also some reminiscing about old Nickelodeon). Probably not something you want every single week, but likely something for a playoff game or a handful few other times during the year for fun.

This means, of course, it will become weekly.