Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

sportsgenius86 posted:

This sounds like Bernie Kosar during Browns preseason games.

I'd love a full season of his commentary against the Browns, but I don't think his liver could handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I like crazy senile Terry because he reminds me of Peter Boyle in Young Frankenstein, intelligible speech is hardly necessary.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

davecrazy posted:

The Deadspin guys re-read the Simmons parts of Those Guys Have All the Fun and wrote a book report about it.

http://deadspin.com/the-sports-guy-vs-espn-how-bill-simmons-lost-bristol-1639533260

A) the bulk of what I got from that is reaffirmation that Simmons is a massive tool.

B) I will never be able to take seriously a grown man who goes my Skipper, unless he is actively on the bridge of a seafaring vessel. No, it doesn't matter that it's actually his name.

C) seriously, Simmons is so big a tool he has a noticeable gravitational pull

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I heard this on NPR while driving this morning: Frank Deford is thankful for the Spurs
A sample:

I kept sitting there, waiting for the punchline to come and it never came.

I feel the same way about every single thing he does, he's like a walking stereotype of old white sportswriters.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Muddy Burphy posted:

Are you coming at this from the angle of defending ESPN's video game coverage or are you finding any reason to bash Cowherd? Genuinely curious.

I have zero interest in watching other people play video games, but damned if I wouldn't absolutely love to watch ESPN's A team have to cover League of Legends or some poo poo. Gruden and Tirico doing play by play of a Starcraft match would be priceless.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mornacale posted:

Nah it's a Tebow-produced 30-for-30 film about abortion

You think they can talk about his throwing motion for the length of an entire show?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Muddy Burphy posted:

Has anyone listened to Katie Nolan's podcast? I like it.

She was on Lana Berry's podcast yesterday, too, and it was pretty rad. It's basically a sports comedy show where they do hard hitting commentary like how to correctly pronounce "butthole", and try to figure out whether various athletes are fat-fat or muscled-fat.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Robnoxious posted:

Continued cord cutting from millennials made drat sure ESPN's viewing numbers would go into the toilet. Not to mention, that same age bracket is jet set on going out to party and get some New Year's strange on their hanglow. It was always a recipe for failure but I'm just a schmuck with only two eyeholes and not some highly paid executive who ultimately green-lit this clusterfuck.

Should have thrown ABC a bone or two, guys. Your loss.

ESPN no longer has the de-facto clout it thinks it has to broadcast all of the big bowl games and is a concrete reason why the Superbowl will be on broadcast television for many MANY years to come.

Yeah, I've never been more than a passing college football fan, but I'm one of those millennial turds who gave up cable and satellite, so the lack of (legal) digital availability meant barely any bowl games for me, just what's on ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX. Kind of stinks, I'd totally watch ESPN games if they were readily available, but I'm not shelling out that kind of money for such limited use. If it were a subscription option like HBO I'd be all over that.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

soggybagel posted:

The other thing that is insane to me is that they have never leveraged the fact that they're in LA. Thousands of hungry talented young people who are smart and funny out here. Go hot take central but make it a youth movement. You can get a ton of inexpensive highly creative people who can do it all. I.E. Edit produce write and appear in front of camera.

Basically try and find another few Katie Nolan types, churning out shows on a shoestring budget? I'm down, not everybody will be as fun as her, but certainly would be better than trying the imitation approach.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
So who pairs with Gruden now for MNF? I liked him and Tirico as a pair, I thought they complimented each other nicely

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Benne posted:

Early word is Sean McDonough. He's great on college football but has always kinda been stuck on the B-tier games, so this would be a well-deserved promotion.

Yeah, just checked N/V after this thread. That works for me, outside of the Stephen A Smith/Skip Bayless comedy answer there weren't really any A squad guys I can think of that I really want calling games regularly.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

R.D. Mangles posted:

stephen a talking to himself on split screen and getting more and more irate

Poach Katie Nolan to cohost and give her a 12 pack before each show.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

modestmusashi posted:

this thread seems to be concerned with the Big Guys, but I'm looking for a good sports podcast. I'm listening to Bill Simmons' Podcast right now because he rules but he talks a poo poo ton about non-sports stuff. Gimme the sports.

Pretty football centric, but Move the Sticks is some good stuff from a scouting perspective; the run-up to the draft has gotten a bit repetitive, but c'est la vie. I also hear good things about Around the NFL.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

"Now Colin, Trent here is going to tell you absolutely everything he knows. All you need to remember is to do the exact opposite and you'll be solid."

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Benne posted:

Ray Lewis, Mike Ditka and Cris Carter are out. ESPN added Matt Hasselbeck, Charles Woodson and Randy Moss to take their place.

This is all Very Good News.

I like Carter just fine (almost entirely homer bias), but Ditka and Lewis ham get the hell out, and those are some excellent replacements, plus it's weirdly fitting they're switching Carter for Moss.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

DJExile posted:

Good for Katie Nolan

gently caress yeah, way happy about her getting recognition.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean it was pretty overdue, but still, end of an era

He's annoying as poo poo to me now, but damned if I didn't grow up with him, gonna be a very strange slightly less gibberish-filled show without him babbling away.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Dexo posted:

Yeah seriously. I like Katie's show but that's real bad form. And it's possible the reporter hosed up and turned like a hypothetical thought into something she's actually shooting for.

It sounded a lot to me like the latter, Nolan said she wanted to do a prime time show every night, and that between the east and west time zones 11:30 was a good spot for her, she wasn't saying "I've got O'Toole in my sights" or anything. I assumed she was just talking in hypothetical terms, describing her ideal situation.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I figured they wanted to avoid any potential live air catastrophes, like a security guard executing another jaguar on camera or some such. Kind of like the pillar in the last Canadian Winter Olympics opening ceremony failing to function, only with more killing of endangered species and what have you.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

R.D. Mangles posted:

you're literally advocating for The Running Man

You say that like its a bad thing? I'd pay premium if Dynamo were introduced to the steeplechase.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
We've had an Arnold movie remake, it was Total Recall and it was a loving horror show.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Kibner posted:

There was also a Conan and... ewww

Goddamn, forgot about that one. Both it and the Total Recall remakes have this fascinating trait where I know I watched them, but I honest to god can't remember a single thing about them other than hating it. And I was sober for both!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I've asked this question every time I've ever seen him, but how the gently caress does Michael Rappaport keep getting work?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

iwentdoodie posted:

How the gently caress does anyone with that atrocious accent get work

The best part is, after his stint on Justified, this statement is true regardless of authenticity of accent.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

MourningView posted:

I'm still so mad at him for ruining a whole season of Justified

It had that really good moment with his brother and the 20 foot rule, but outside of that its the one season I honestly don't remember much of.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Niwrad posted:

I'm probably in the minority here but I actually think Tirico is good. Not Al Michaels good but better than just about everyone CBS and Fox throw out.

I like Tirico plenty as an announcer, and have a ton of respect that he can cover so many sports and still sound so well informed. He's also a sexual harassing piece of garbage and I'd be fine if he were discarded for that reason, but in a vacuum his announcing skills are fine. I might be weird though, I'm hugely happy Randy Moss is gaining more traction, if I could listen to him for game coverage I'd be thrilled.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I can't get over that Joe Buck pulled a Tobias Fünke.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Spoeank posted:

Oh I misread it as "look at all this trash on at the same time" :downs:

And 10 am games own. West Coast football experience is great.

It's pretty great, only MNF and TNF start in the middle of my commute, living in mountain time was the sweet spot.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

iospace posted:

My mom haaaaaaaaates CBS coverage. Prefers Fox, even if they have Joe Buck (and she's neutral on him)

I don't hate Joe Buck like I used to, he seems to have made some progress in being less bland, plus so many of the other commentators being terrible helps. The exception is any Packers game, where he ranges from insufferable to intolerable because of how far down his throat he's got Aaron Rodger's dick. Even when Rodgers has an admittedly good game like tonight, he just goes on to the point of distraction with his praise, drives me crazy.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

iospace posted:

Well tonight you had Aikman doing the Dallas homer,so a wash? :v:

I don't know what it is that irritates me so much (besides the being a Vikings fan and all), usually homerism doesn't get to me, but I heard it mentioned earlier in the season, and damned
if it's not all I hear now. So probably confirmation bias, but whatever.

FuzzySkinner posted:

That was him during the World Series.

I went to two watch parties at Progressive Field. When they announced that it was going to be him, and not the great local guy (Tom Hamilton) calling the game on the video screen? A chorus of loud boos rang out. When his face showed up on the screen? Same thing happened. He was even used at Cavs game to get people to boo during free throws.

It wasn't like the Cubs being in the World Series WASN'T a big story. It clearly was, anyone with half a brain could tell you that. But the way he tried to embellish on something that was already The Max Schwerzer discussions he would have during the game bordered on creepy and masturbatory. You could tell he was trying to create a "KIRK GIBSON IN THE 88 WORLD SERIES" type of thing out of thin air.

That's interesting, I figured it was just him being a big fan, but maybe it's a stylistic choice, trying to make his mark with a memorable narrative/call or something? I can't blame a guy too much for having a gimmick, god knows I'd run out of poo poo to say while filling time between plays after a few years, but I'm also both uncreative and not employed as an announcer.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My dad's office once sent him to play some charity golf tournament where you got paired up with a random celebrity, and he drew Lou Holtz. Apparently he was an utter oval office, but I guess that's not much of a surprise.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

AsInHowe posted:

But who would ESPN get to be their horribly racist old man? They already fired Ditka

Get the Ryan brothers, they'll be ridiculous and crude but entertaining as hell.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN is breaking in the start of the new NFL calendar year with an eleven-person panel on NFL Insiders.

11 people

It's like CNN on both meth and steroids

I'm convinced they don't even need the different "personalities" and whatnot, people tune in for the yelling over one another. ESPN could just replace them all with overwrought toy poodles yapping hysterically while highlights play and the same audience would, well, lap it up.

And now I'm kind of disappointed this isn't actually a thing.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I feel for the guy, but it's also really hard to be too impacted by an account named JRsBBQ

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Edit: I'm an idiot who fell for a fake Twitter, ignore

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Benne posted:

"TOUCHDOWN PACKERS! What a throw by Rodgers."

*Cutler takes long cigarette drag* "Whatever"

Alternately, "yeah, that's okay I guess, but I'd imagine it's easy when you have a functioning loving o-line."

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Spoeank posted:

I chase rear end.

I'm surprised he has to, with fedoras like that I'd think women would flock to him

Edit:

I mean, he's one "Milady" away from being chased like the Beatles!

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 13, 2017

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Anals of History posted:

I'll never understand having really stringent opinions about other peoples' work ethic, determination, etc. while being morbidly obese.

His muscle is his wit, and he's loving swole.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I choose to believe he means he's stealing it from the prop department, like me walking out on my last day with a stapler or whatever office supplies were on hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Josh Lyman posted:

So... female Bill Simmons?

She is buddies with him, but has a better grasp of pop culture (being, you know, younger), and takes herself waaaaaaaay less seriously. I like her stuff a lot, so it's nice to see they're not just paying her to not work any more.