Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Gammon posted:

Yeah, that was exactly why I largely ignored STR when I put my S-K together. It was just going to be a case of too many buttons to push, not enough time to push them, if I had cleave/great cleave and all those things.

I'm beginning to think that taking 6 levels of monk for the feats, centering, elemental attacks etc is the way to go, but just stick with Thief-Acrobat and Kensei enhancement trees could be the way to go. Am I right in thinking that the staff fighting lines that give +hit and +damage would not stack from different trees? The one really nice synergistic thing I did find between monk and T-A is the ability to get that special ki attack which gives mobs a -10 Balance, which would obviously then greatly help with the T-A's many, many trips, especially as the DC of the those trips depends on your rogue level, and my rogue level just ain't that high with 4 fighter/6 monk in the build (though I could drop that to 2 fighter).

Also, for the monk forms - do they automatically grant the feat at monk level 6/12/18, but you can pick them at those character levels manually as well if you lack the monk levels?

I haven't really been looking that hard into the monk active stuff for this character other than the healing curse, so I can't really weigh in on that, however I think the staff passive attk/dmg stuff stacks as it comes up as separate things in my selected enhancements page. I've focused on more of an aoe damage dealer, so having cleave and g. cleave on short c/ds for me to mash on is nice, since the qstaff skills you get are on a long enough c/d that I only get to use them maybe once or twice per fight.

On an alternate note, I rolled up a character just to test out the whirling chain on the shadar-kai and it's... disappointing. Over the course of the full 20 second channel (with no buffs), it took a little less than 2/3rds off the training dummy's health. With the fact that it's a fixed amount of damage and you're not likely to be constantly hitting things for the 20 seconds it takes, it seems like a pretty big waste of time and ap. The non-channeled whirling chain by itself isn't the worst thing, but it's a bit slow animation-wise, part of the damage can be saved and I don't know what the proc rate on the bleed and knockdown are. Long story short, if you're going to use it, use it for flavour and not effectiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
That's depressing, shadar-kai assassins are the scariest mobs in the game and probably account for 90% of my EE deaths. Was hoping the PC version was similarly as good.

Really need a character planner to come out soon and hopefully something other than Rons as I can never get it to work, a gear planner would be awesome too as there's just so much new stuff I'm a little overwhelmed on what to slot where.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
What's your issue with Ron's? Did you post about it in the thread?

I started working on a gear planner once, but I'm way too lazy to finish it instead of working on something more fun =-( Though if you can get Ron's working, it supports adding items to your character so you can prolly use it to mess around with stuff.

Woden
May 6, 2006
The planner doesn't work under Wine, someone on his forums was going to look into it but that was 4 months ago and haven't heard anything since. Ddochargen.com was great but it hasn't been updated in a long time and is probably dead too. Since Turbine nuked their own hosted wiki(did it have API hooks? can't remember) it'll be a total PITA to make one from scratch so guess I'm out of luck.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Pretty sure it had no hooks, everyone who made tools based off it was just doing so with scraping from what I can remember. Which is what I was saying earlier, it'd be nice if they at least provided JSON files or something, if not just upgraded MyDDO instead of ditching it =-(

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Does anyone have a supply of Vale ingredients built up that they wouldn't mind parting with, I am looking to make some clickies and they are the last components I need. In total, 4 husks, 5 petals, 5 pebbels, 1 funk, and 4 twigs.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I can prolly do husks and petals but the rest not so much, I'll look later/tomorrow and send what I can.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Finally got back up to cap and one thing that felt wrong was the lack of progression between levels. 1.35 million xp to go from 27-28 with nothing in between, apparently the plan is to move to 30 next year then fill out those levels but with epic TRing coming it'll be very boring. 1.65 to go from 29-30 when they do that and near 5 mill if they follow heroic trends, that's a lot of dead space I really hope they fill somehow. I think I read they're planning on expanding EDs so maybe they can do something with that but I can't figure out what without locking you into one ED for that life pretty much.

Here's a funny anecdote, we were doing EE Trackers Trap with a FvS hire when one of the assassins started winding up with his chain. I got the hell out of there but the hire just stood there and tanked it like a champ and even mass healed itself(guess they finally took quicken), we had an actual SnB tank with us too and he was taking about the same damage from those assassin. Kind of reminded me of when SP management was a thing for raids, hirelings would have been better than any non pot chugging real healer back in those days and now we might have hires that are better tanks than we could ever build.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah if you've got the important destinies maxed out, let alone all of them, epic levels feel a little barren advancement wise. Limiting the new epic feats, which are a little more interesting, to level 27 only was a mistake. Beyond the class specific epic feats, the only old ones that are interesting are Overwhelming Critical and Combat Archery, casters don't have anything interesting to take. Even with the level 27 feats included, caster feats are still pretty dull. Ruin is sort of neat but since metamagic increases the SP cost normally it gets expensive fast. I guess you'd be able to take all 3 epic save feats if they let you take them at 21, but I don't see a problem with that. You're giving up all other epic feats and still need the saves to back it up. The epic destiny feats are largely well done at least, barring DC problems in EE and a few "What were they thinking" feats (looking at you First Blood).

Though the levels do come fast at least, and hopefully epic TRing won't be following the model of heroic TRing given that they've continually been trying to reduce the grind of heroic TRing. And I'm glad they let you have full access to your destinies as soon as you hit 20, it does make actual questing a lot of fun when you hit 20 and get some cool epic gear and throw on Fury of the Wild or Shiradi 5 and get to wreck poo poo.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
One thing I don't understand about the new spellpower system though, does it affect wands or other cast on use items? I have made two experimental characters that just stack percentage bonuses to wands and scrolls, and the only difference between one and the other is maximize spell and the class combination (2 wizard and 2 artificer VS 2 arti and 2 bard) and it seems like the first combination does -way- more damage with cold ray wands than the latter, despite the latter having more points in wand and scroll damage. :psyduck:

Woden
May 6, 2006
Stacking is all sorts of weird and the only way to know what does and doesn't is testing. Universal Spellpower from the Arti tree gave me zero help with recons so maybe some of those are bugged too and give nothing?

Quick Strikes from Henshin and Acrobat both share the same cooldown but Staff Specilization stacks, the enhancements really need better descriptions and probably a lot of bug fixing too.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I'm loving the new enhancements. With the new Arcane Archer stuff, combined with the Bow of Sinew I just got, I'm doing a lot more damage than before. The first time I used Arrow of Slaying it criticaled and I hit a named for almost 1300 damage. This is at level 16. And all the different combinations of arrows and bows are just fun, even if I forget to switch bows sometimes. We were fighting Dead Pykzyl the other night and I was using my banishing arrows, but I forgot to use them with my holy disruptor bow. Do the banishing and disruption criticals stack?

One thing I wasn't clear on was the enhancements that cost more than one point. I didn't know you could get partial benefits from just putting 1 or 2 points into them. I've got 2 points to use when I get home.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 27, 2013

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah, I did some testing with the monk/fighter build I was thinking of doing (using the convenient PDK), and the passive enhancements from Kensei stack with the identical ones you find the in the Monk trees, which is fantastic.

Woden
May 6, 2006
If the Blinding Speed feat blocks slow and stacks with haste like the haste proc on GS does it's not terrible, basically +1 dodge/reflex and immunity to slow. Lot of ifs though and I don't remember any epic mobs that cast slow. The epic save feats are pretty nice too, if you get to no fail range then you don't need to bother with certain buffs and I've come around on epic toughness, it's a great feat.

Started a rog/monk stick build and can't wait til I hit 25 for sireth, 13-20 x4 is going to be brutal.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I started a guild when I first started playing DDO a long time ago.

Pussy Snorkel fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 29, 2013

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
You're going places!

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
A heads up, if you're doing that new quest in the storm horns where you defeat the caravans going through the valley, don't bother with the optionals if you're doing it for chests. They're bugged and don't spawn. They're still a nice chunk of xp, though. And make sure you ally with the harpies. Those things are crazy strong. My buddy and I hosed off looking for the rest of the gnolls after the boss spawned, And he was down to 2/3rds health by the time we finished the gnolls and came back to kill him. And the harpy matriarch had lost maybe 1/10th of her health with none of the others dead. Also of note, if you have someone to chase down the gnolls, that quest is poo poo easy. We 2-manned it at 2 levels below normal without problems.

edit: Anyone have anything interesting to do with the sun-elf or would it just be a better idea to use the PDK and make some kind of S&B fighter/cleric? I'm generally poo poo at making pure healers and despite trying to get used to it, I'm thoroughly poo poo at sp management, so an offensive caster is probably a bad idea. I have a shitload of good bastard swords built up over time, so I'm considering making it a bsword wielder and taking the THF line.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 29, 2013

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I don't think either of them make all that great clerics. There is a great bard build somewhere hidden in the PDK, but I haven't put all that much thought into it until turbine lets us TR into iconic races. The bladeforge seems to be great at just about anything, as long as you don't use his preset build. SLA reconstruct is about as good as it gets.

Woden
May 6, 2006
That convoy quest is awesome, charge up master blitz on the harpies and then just go to town. The carriers don't even fight back so you always have a source to keep blitz up if your self healing isn't great. Going to see if I can solo EE when I cap my acrobat, EH was a cake walk as a paladin so should be doable.

PDK is pretty bad for clerics IMO, Divine Might lets you add cha mod to str and PDK allows you to use cha for to hit and damage instead of str. So kind of a waste unless you really prefer the enhancements over what humans get.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
Pale master wizards have negative energy and artificers can repair via their homunculus - outside of the obvious healing spells, do any other classes have such effortless hp regen? I'm about to start a second character with a friend and we don't want to give hp management much thought.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Clerics get Positive Energy Aura, but its a tier 5 enhancement and therefore requires character level 12 before you can take it.
Monk's get Healing Curse which isn't nearly as good but is vaguely similar, reactive heal when you strike a creature.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Clerics and favored souls get tons of heals obviously, and so do bards to a slightly lesser degree. Paladins get ok self heals if you spec in some gear and feats for it and rangers get a +75 devotion at level one making them a relatively strong self healing melee. Bladeforged get a recon SLA which is pretty uber and dwarves get to chug two potions at once I think, which could be great late game where even silver flame potions might only heal for less than half max hp.

UMD heal scrolls with some scroll/heal amp is another way to go, as is monk with fists of light. Fists of light might be bad though, not sure how welll it scales up, henshin mystics get shadows cannot exist without light at char level 12 and monk level 5. It heals for 100 positive before healing amp and is working out pretty great for me so far. You can generally get away with pots until maybe level 7 or 8 or so though, and there's probably stuff in other prestige trees that I don't know about too.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They're mostly looking for more passive healing options though, of which there isn't much besides Positive Aura/Death Aura PMs/Reconstruct Aura Artificer that I can think of. Which isn't too surprising since DDO tries to be more active than passive in general, but it is drat nice having an Aura.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Oh if you just want that then yeah nothing really, there's a number of clickes that heal over time too but most are garbage. I still want a few jungle cloaks though, as wand maximize works(worked? dunno if patched out) for clickes and it's the best one.

The henshin mystic thingy works kind of like a passive for me, just put it in your attack rotation and when stuff dies you get HP. But again level 12.

Edit: Sorry I misread what was asked for, been on a TR train for a while now and my brain is kind of fried.

Woden fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 31, 2013

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Tried to jump in on an Assassin Iconic but it just didn't work out all that well so I guess I should do a character the normal/manual way.

Anyone have some guidance as to how to make a Ranger/Artificer that wont suck, from character creation to level 4/7 (Veteran) ?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
For artificer you really wan't to be warforged, For starting stats, you have some wiggle room, but I really prefer 10str 16 dex con int, 6 wis cha as a 28 point build, as a 32 you can go 17 int and 11 str. For skills, max Disable device, search, UMD, repair, and then you can distribute extra points across open locks, spot, concentration, balance, and the 1 point in tumble you need. Feat selection - point blank shot at 1, rapid shot at 3, One of Quicken or Maximize at 4, the other at 6. Alternatively you can take Precice shot and precision at 4 and 6, if you are not interested in the SLA's from the enchantment line, You will want quicken by 8 though, to eventually quicken your repairs.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
Wow, the nerdrage over DDO being down over the weekend was SO intense it seems to have taken down the website.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Do other MMOs have these sort of outages or is Turbine just bad at the internet?

Oh and Fenris13, why no ranks in spellcraft? With 17 int I'd guess you're putting levelups there and planning on using a tome for dex to get to either 17 or 19 for feat pre reqs so your DCs should be ok. I get that +23 spellpower isn't really all that much but every little bit helps, well IMO anyway.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
No, I just forgot about spellcraft. I haven't played anything that uses it since they added it so it wasn't on my mind.

Most MMO companies don't have multi-day down times every 6 months like clockwork. The last time this happened, probably the exact same problem, Turbine pointed the finger at outside vendors, just like this time. At some point in time they should look into more reliable suppliers.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Fenris13 posted:

For artificer you really wan't to be warforged, For starting stats, you have some wiggle room, but I really prefer 10str 16 dex con int, 6 wis cha as a 28 point build, as a 32 you can go 17 int and 11 str. For skills, max Disable device, search, UMD, repair, and then you can distribute extra points across open locks, spot, concentration, balance, and the 1 point in tumble you need. Feat selection - point blank shot at 1, rapid shot at 3, One of Quicken or Maximize at 4, the other at 6. Alternatively you can take Precice shot and precision at 4 and 6, if you are not interested in the SLA's from the enchantment line, You will want quicken by 8 though, to eventually quicken your repairs.

I dont like the look of Warforged so would Human work or something ? or anyone have similar advice to this for a Ranger ?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Woden posted:

Do other MMOs have these sort of outages or is Turbine just bad at the internet?
Pretty sure it's Turbine being bad at the internet. I mean worse than Cryptic? Sheesh. If it's just an isp issue, I can't imagine an isp not having emergency personnel on call, so likely something that requires a Turbine employee happened (again). Is it back up? *goes to try*

edit: I guess NOT. Made me patch and all and no go.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 2, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Servers are back up now, I wonder if there will be any compensation this time?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I'd love for the +2 loot thing to be extended. All I was wanting to do was farm things!

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I've been getting some loving weird loading screens lately. Today I had the most helpful hint of them all.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They added that one back since people bitched it was removed =-p

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
The? The! The whattttt?! Haha.

I've gotten a lot of strange errors lately (since the downtime this weekend). Entrances to quests would not load, sometimes a boss would be invisible for me and not for my party, graphical placement glitches and the like. Just me? Just the Restless Isles (what I farmed a lot)?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

That's odd. I figured it was just a bug. I guess it really was, and now it's a thing. :ms:

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Noricae posted:

sometimes a boss would be invisible for me and not for my party

Yeah I got this too. I see my buddy running back the way he came, so I go up there all "Durrr. What could it be?" I tell him I see nothing, and he's yelling in vent about there being a goddamn white dragon right the gently caress in front of me. It was a weird fighting. I had to shoot at where the ice balls came from or just in front of him and watch my hit dice to attack it.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I get the missing graphics thing a lot and have had it for like two years, it has gotten a lot worse recently though and I have read that some(all?) people can't see elec traps or the fencing on the bridge in harbor. Usually relogging fixes missing mobs and trees and the like for me, at least for a few hours when it'll invariably happen again.

As for Restless Isles, tried to do an at level Titan elite the other day where the boss was immune to the laser and when we dropped a pillar 2 would drop at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Woden posted:

As for Restless Isles, tried to do an at level Titan elite the other day where the boss was immune to the laser and when we dropped a pillar 2 would drop at once.

This has happened regularly since the raid went into the game. It's a big part of why it's never really been a popular raid.

• Locked thread