Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
You're going places!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I've been getting some loving weird loading screens lately. Today I had the most helpful hint of them all.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

That's odd. I figured it was just a bug. I guess it really was, and now it's a thing. :ms:

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Just last night I was thinking about all the servers I see on login and wondering how different each one was. Is there ever any talk on the forums about merging them together? Was there ever a difference between them or was there just once a need to have multiples due to popularity? (hah)

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Game_Whino posted:

The main problem I have with LFMs on argo is that they generally advertise quests on normal (as opposed to elite) and/or they are usually put up by people who are one level underleveled for the the quest. It is more of a pet peeve from the days when we still had to manage our XP gains but it annoys the gently caress out of me nonetheless.
Yeah I'm in the boat of seeing way too many normal dungeons and it sucks. I've got a great elite streak from playing with friends a while back and I don't want to trash it for the awful XP of normal, but the pubbies...

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

After farting around in Neverwinter for way too long, I've convinced my girl that playing DDO is a much better D&D experience. Of course, I know it's much more unforgiving when it comes to builds, and I have no experience playing any healer-type class so I don't want to give her my poo poo input. What suggestions would you guys have for a build that can do some decent healing while we level while still being able to dish out damage and not crumple like wet cardboard the second I turn a corner and she's still fighting things? (no sense thinking too much about EDs at this point, just something fun)

I was trying to come up with some neat ranged multiclass build but I don't really know what synergizes well and I'm sure it will be utter garbage if I try and 'theorycraft' something. Something without a ridiculously complex series of abilities would be great, because when she saw my wizard's seven hotbars she got afraid of the game.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Brownview posted:

I am in a similar position. My girlfriend definitely likes how accessible and nice Neverwinter looks, but she is looking for exploration and more than just grinding so DDO has that going for it.

I gave her a rundown of each class and she settled on wizard (pale master), I rolled artificer. Based on what you are saying I would think a favored soul fits the build: high on spell points, lower on spell selection. Cleric with its spell-like abilities in Disciple of Light tree seems pretty fun.

If I can share my metagame experience: don't force it, and don't worry about a power gaming duo if you guys are just going to level together and tinker around in instances. The great fun of "the D&D experience" is growing your own character and it could be easy to take that away with a tightly-controlled build. If she picks a class with no solo survivability just roll a build that can heal both of you and learn to only trigger traps once. :)

Thanks for the info. I'll show her all the classes tonight and look into FvS myself to see what comments I can make. Maybe we'll bump into each other and level together at some point. I see what you mean about taking away from the experience by finding a strictly regimented build and telling her just what to take at every level. I do want her to really enjoy the game like I did when I way playing, which means being free to really get into her character and play it as she sees fit. I'll have to remember to not try to force constant elite streaks on her and just let the normal, non-tome of XP slowness set in.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Noricae posted:

It's not really essential for one of you to be a cleric or similar healer at all, but having one of you have trap skills makes things a LOT more fun, especially as a couple exploring quests for the first time (great game to duo, especially puzzle heavy quests).

I was definitely going to grab a de-trapping character after experiencing so many of the gently caress you instadeath traps when I was playing alone. I don't have much experience with multiclassing so I was considering going artifacer for the ability to do great damage (right?) while still being able to disarm. I want to make sure that things melt fairly rapidly with whatever build I'll make, plus it would lessen the need for healing as I can just repair, and maybe I'll get lucky and she'll roll a spellcaster who can help out. If I wanted to pick another class, would it be as easy as grabbing, say, barbarian and just splashing a single rogue level to get trapfinding/disarm trap and just put points into search and spot as I go?

One of my favorite things about DDO was the heavy puzzle use in dungeons, and it's what is exciting my girl about playing, too. So few multiplayer games really try to make use of puzzle mechanics nowadays. The Secret World is the only one I can think of, and drat did it have some puzzles...

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

RosaParksOfDip posted:

If you don't mind going slow, my buddy and I started with a two man ranger set. He went tempest and I went AA. Good wand healig at low to mid levels with bough crossover between rolls and autogranted feats that you can swap out who is melting and who is ranged. Also healing. We never TRed them because we love the characters so much and we've had them for literally years. Sometimes just farting API d and doing your own thing is much more fun. Especially with the free LR, early mistakes aren't such a huge setback.

I haven't considered ranger too much and I didn't know they could heal at all. I might have to check one out for a few levels to see how it feels. That sounds like a nifty ranged combo.

Noricae posted:

Sure, definitely a great class and my main/favorite now. Fairly overpowered at low levels (but tapers off at cap, and gets weaker but still very solo/duo friendly, esp if you have someone else taking aggro) but a blast at low levels. It may ruin other classes for you (low level cleric = zzz after arti).

Didn't know arti were considered so OP, which I like. You mention having someone else tanking - are artifacers really weak in the aggro holding area? I want to try and keep aggro on me as much as I can, as my partner always squeals uncomfortably when swarmed with enemies. While funny, I like to avoid it as much as possible so we can actually complete dungeons.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I've been playing neverwinter with my girlfriend for the last month and it's made me miss the feeling of ddo so much. It's prettier, yes, but the quests are repetitive and the dungeons aren't engrossing or unique at all. It's a simple game without any depth and virtually zero endgame. While great to introduce to someone inexperienced with mmos, it's certainly not going to satisfy someone who is familiar with them. All it has going for it is the d&d branding.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

How do I unlock the UI so I can drag my character portrait and target windows somewhere else? I've been looking for half an hour and I'm raging pretty hard at the unintuitive interface.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

eth0.n posted:

There's nothing to unlock. Those windows are always draggable. Put your mouse near the top of the windows, and it should turn plus shaped, then you can drag it. If you can't, sounds like you found a bug.

You can lock/unlock the hotbars with ctrl-=, but that doesn't affect those windows.
Thanks. That explains the frustration.

I'm looking for a simple build for a caster Druid. I've never played one before but my friend is wanting to give it a shot and I don't know what to say. They like the idea of shapeshifting but prefer to just focus on spellcasting. Multiclassing might be a bit confusing but I'll take a small split build if it's needed. I trust that Druids can handle being mainly casters just fine, yeah?

This won't be a hardcore raiding life, just an intro to the game and a "play what looks fun" kind of build. 28 points.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 27, 2013

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Thanks for the advice. Can I treat it like a wiz/sorc just with less SP? Are there melee considerations or can druids cast nearly constantly?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Edit: I can't use the DDO UI. Uguu.

VV That was my problem. I didn't notice the little arrow indicating I could scroll. D'oh.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 28, 2013

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Oh drat, I logged in to do my daily dice and I got my first decent prize!

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

When I spawn another hotbar to add more poo poo (as I fill up existing bars) it seems to like moving my keybinds to the new bar but keeping my skills on the existing one. Or the other way around... I've taken to just filling my screen with blank bars on new characters to avoid that bullshit. Then again I am awful with the DDO UI so YMMV.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

So all VIPs with an epic-level character will get a free Epic Heart if they log in between Dec 12-Jan 12. Pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Bad dog is still around. It's one of the feats your pet can take, not the player.

• Locked thread