Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
So, who the hell is actually going to spend 795 tp just to teleport between Eberron on the FR campaigns? That seems like a tremendous waste. If it was maybe 300 something TP I could see myself doing it just to save myself the 3-4 minute run every time, but it's hardly like you're constantly bouncing between content from the two worlds.

In other news, I'll be happy to fix my 16 arti. I didn't research it properly at one point and took extend on it. Wasted feat completely killed my leveling impetus on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Fenris13 posted:

If all you need is a feat swap, there are much better alternatives than the +20 Token they just gave out, Fred the mindflayer will swap single feats for feats, and every character gets one free LR. That +20 token is very valuable, as DM mentioned, for leveling as one class and switching to another for TR bonuses.

I had already used the free LR and for some reason i couldn't feat swap extend at fred. First thing I tried when I realized it worked on none of the arti buffs/spells.

edit: Is the teleport supposed to be accessible on Iconics without buying it? i just rolled up a PDK for shits and I was able to teleport it. Hrm... I'm not a vip, either. Just whatever the step above f2p is.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 19, 2013

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

DemonMage posted:

So the new Arcane Archer is pretty fun. That was with Bow of Sinew + Overwhelming Critical on a 20 with Adrenalized Arrow of Slaying. With Manyshot going it's theoretically possible to generate 4 of those once per manyshot, but pretty loving unlikely. Be fun to see my numbers in general when I get Pinion back again.

They're just plain fun in general though, a lot more active with Inferno/True Strike/Slaying shots and you've got the ability to make your arrows one of: All physical damage types, all alignments, all metals. As well as access to elemental imbues with their own fun on-crit debuffs.

And if you're timely on the switching and don't mind it eating a decent chunk of mana, you can have all four elemental primary types going for a short time (6-8 seconds or something like that assuming you don't just keep mashing and refreshing them). With shiradi's various elemental damage and a bow that does 3 different elemental types, I'm a goddamn rain-bow warrior.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

Oh I knew about Monkchers, they're neat and I am glad they work but I always had a thing for pure ranged rangers and I am hoping that, specifically, is what became truly viable.

It wasn't the best, but pure bow ranger was always at least viable, especially in small groups due to being able to easily avoid enemies, and a little bit of healing. My buddy and I ran dual rangers, he did the meleeing and trash killing, I murdered high hp stuff with manyshot and shiradi just being all amazing all the time. And we both spot-healed. it's not the best in Raids since your health is going to be a bit subpar and your dps isn't the highest, but it's viable.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

mfny posted:

Going to reinstall anyway, and i think i may have some TP stashed away to get access to those classes..

Try and roll with goons and/or get one of the veteran status things to bypass the early content. I definitely know how you feel in regards to not wanting to play korthos ever again, but doing it with a group can really alleviate some of the tedium.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

MondayHotDog posted:

Ugh, why can't Steam update DDO in the background? I wanted to play 15 minutes ago. By the time this poo poo finishes downloading and installing I'll be too tired to play.

Edit: Jesus gently caress, why is this taking so long? I can regularly pull down 2 MB/s on BitTorrent so connection speed shouldn't be an issue. What's the point of it even being on Steam? How big is this update, anyway?

Do you mean update it while playing another game on steam? Cause if so, you can fix that by pausing and resuming the download in steam after launching the other game. Works on anything through steam.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Wheloon has a new soundtrack as well, so maybe that's what you're hearing?

edit: Any tips for a shadar-kai stick rogue? I'm going to go with the standard strength-based, THF lines with cleave and whatnot. Anything else I should be aware of? I'm trying to decide between pure rogue or a monk splash to pick up the monk qstaff stuff, too.

double edit: At level 1, while running my shadar-kai attacks stupid fast. I don't know if it's just the animation, but I swing at least twice as fast compared to when I'm standing still. Weird.

triple edit: Stopped happening after zoning. Sad.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 23, 2013

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I've started as a 12/3 rogue/monk and it seems reasonable thus far. I'm tempted to make myself a melee AoE monster between the qstaff skills and the chainwhip thing shadar kai get. I probably won't really be effective, but I'm hoping it'll be fun.

edit: been looking around the named items for qstaffs available for use at 15 and... there aren't many. Currently using a souleater since I didn't really have anything else. Going to have to use random gen loot or something. Thinking something of vertigo (To go with the area trip skill). Ran the first of the two new chains on elite straight out of the gate with the new character and did alright. Even with a bit of a gimpy weapon, it's been fun. I really wish there was some form of improved bodyfeeder, though. That thing is really cool, but kinda useless when you get hit for 50-something damage by multiple targets. You can't really crit fast enough for it to maintain usefulness. Maybe some kind of shorter duration, but allow it to stack a certain number of times?

Long, rambling story short, stick rogues are fun. I do need to be a shitload tankier, though. Considering how easily and quickly I aggro stuff.

double edit: Probably going to end up as 16/4 rogue/monk so I can get that last staff attck/dmg boost in henshin mystic. Or maybe take a fighter level or two if there's anything worthwhile through the kensei tree.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 23, 2013

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Gammon posted:

I think there's a really good build to be found in all of this, but I'm not positive that having both Monk and Fighter is the way to go with rogue...one or the other would probably allow for more focus with the enhancement points. Ninja Spy enhancements would go well in that case.

I found mixing the monk and rogue staff attack/damage passives make for some pretty nice synergy. Also, with the passive staff speed boosts, plus the 30% haste boost, the 25% doublestrike skill (for about 30% with the starter gear they give) makes for some pretty solid damage output) I'm trying to decide between a level or two of fighter for the extra feats and boosts to tactical skills (for that sweet, sweet mass trip qstaff skill) I'd get, or take a druid level so I can get that +1[W] spell someone mentioned earlier.

edit: I think I'm going to completely disregard the shadar-kai tree and work on getting some of those sweet, sweet assassin sneak attack dice on my stick rogue. I really wanted the shadar-kai chainwhip attack for flavour, but they take way too many enhancement points to max out(A minimum of 17 ap). I'd definitely dip into shadar-kai for a pure assassin rogue, since it gives some nice bonuses to sneaking and damage mitigation. Not nearly as good for straight damage as a halfling, but gloom stalker is very nice for the passive blind effect and a deception effect on sneaking.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 24, 2013

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Woden posted:

The problem with the druid splash is I think the staff needs to be made of wood to benefit from Shillelagh, so pretty limiting. And if you go dex based you don't get the benefit of the other cool spell in Rams Might.

One cool thing I did notice earlier is that you can take the perfect TWF/THF epic feat without needing the rest of the chain, just the filled out destiny.

I rolled up 18 str and 15 dex, so I am all about the hitting things hard as opposed to fancily. Mostly because I wanted cleave + g. cleave which, in hindsight I really didn't need considering all the active stuff that comes out of the enhancement tree.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Gammon posted:

Yeah, that was exactly why I largely ignored STR when I put my S-K together. It was just going to be a case of too many buttons to push, not enough time to push them, if I had cleave/great cleave and all those things.

I'm beginning to think that taking 6 levels of monk for the feats, centering, elemental attacks etc is the way to go, but just stick with Thief-Acrobat and Kensei enhancement trees could be the way to go. Am I right in thinking that the staff fighting lines that give +hit and +damage would not stack from different trees? The one really nice synergistic thing I did find between monk and T-A is the ability to get that special ki attack which gives mobs a -10 Balance, which would obviously then greatly help with the T-A's many, many trips, especially as the DC of the those trips depends on your rogue level, and my rogue level just ain't that high with 4 fighter/6 monk in the build (though I could drop that to 2 fighter).

Also, for the monk forms - do they automatically grant the feat at monk level 6/12/18, but you can pick them at those character levels manually as well if you lack the monk levels?

I haven't really been looking that hard into the monk active stuff for this character other than the healing curse, so I can't really weigh in on that, however I think the staff passive attk/dmg stuff stacks as it comes up as separate things in my selected enhancements page. I've focused on more of an aoe damage dealer, so having cleave and g. cleave on short c/ds for me to mash on is nice, since the qstaff skills you get are on a long enough c/d that I only get to use them maybe once or twice per fight.

On an alternate note, I rolled up a character just to test out the whirling chain on the shadar-kai and it's... disappointing. Over the course of the full 20 second channel (with no buffs), it took a little less than 2/3rds off the training dummy's health. With the fact that it's a fixed amount of damage and you're not likely to be constantly hitting things for the 20 seconds it takes, it seems like a pretty big waste of time and ap. The non-channeled whirling chain by itself isn't the worst thing, but it's a bit slow animation-wise, part of the damage can be saved and I don't know what the proc rate on the bleed and knockdown are. Long story short, if you're going to use it, use it for flavour and not effectiveness.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
A heads up, if you're doing that new quest in the storm horns where you defeat the caravans going through the valley, don't bother with the optionals if you're doing it for chests. They're bugged and don't spawn. They're still a nice chunk of xp, though. And make sure you ally with the harpies. Those things are crazy strong. My buddy and I hosed off looking for the rest of the gnolls after the boss spawned, And he was down to 2/3rds health by the time we finished the gnolls and came back to kill him. And the harpy matriarch had lost maybe 1/10th of her health with none of the others dead. Also of note, if you have someone to chase down the gnolls, that quest is poo poo easy. We 2-manned it at 2 levels below normal without problems.

edit: Anyone have anything interesting to do with the sun-elf or would it just be a better idea to use the PDK and make some kind of S&B fighter/cleric? I'm generally poo poo at making pure healers and despite trying to get used to it, I'm thoroughly poo poo at sp management, so an offensive caster is probably a bad idea. I have a shitload of good bastard swords built up over time, so I'm considering making it a bsword wielder and taking the THF line.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 29, 2013

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Noricae posted:

sometimes a boss would be invisible for me and not for my party

Yeah I got this too. I see my buddy running back the way he came, so I go up there all "Durrr. What could it be?" I tell him I see nothing, and he's yelling in vent about there being a goddamn white dragon right the gently caress in front of me. It was a weird fighting. I had to shoot at where the ice balls came from or just in front of him and watch my hit dice to attack it.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Khyber and Argo both seem to have pretty decent populations on. It's not always the easiest to find the exact questchain you want to do on khyber, but there are usually at least 2 or more LFMs up for whatever level you're at currently. Obviously fewer at non-peak hours for NA, but you can still find stuff going on.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
If you don't mind going slow, my buddy and I started with a two man ranger set. He went tempest and I went AA. Good wand healing at low to mid levels with enough crossover between roles and autogranted feats that you can swap out who is meleeing and who is ranged. Also healing. We never TRed them because we love the characters so much and we've had them for literally years. Sometimes just farting API d and doing your own thing is much more fun. Especially with the free LR, early mistakes aren't such a huge setback.

edit: Noticed all the typos. gently caress posting on my phone.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 12, 2013

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

DemonMage posted:

The Raider's Reward box is apparently a choice of 5 commendations or any CitW weapon. Assuming it doesn't change before it goes live, can totally get that Sireth now (or I guess a single Celestia).

They're kinda cool, but they're tough for the level on elite (less so since the massive nerfs they've gotten) and give completely worthless experience. So they're very very rarely run I'd bet, probably less than old Three Barrel Cove.

Oh god. I can finally get my pinion.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Krowley posted:

Has the login and loading processs been acting up for anyone else? Every time I've loaded my character the last few days he's just been stuck in place before the game closes with a "could not connect" message.

It usually works if I keep trying but it's annoying to have to load up the game multiple times just to be able to play it.

It's been doing that for a while now. It -always- crashes the first time for both of us.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
So, I was hoping to be able to collect all my comms from various characters onto one from the raiders box. Just realized that they bind to character. Balls.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I'm having a rough enough time with just henshin and acrobat, I don't know what a third and fourth will even do. I mean, ditching anything sneak attack related would be number one on the chopping block for more straightforward damage. While SA gets nuts, it's a bit of a problem maintaining if you don't have deception gear and/or blinding stuff.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Also, note that you got a box regardless of whether you qualified for the first one.

edit: You also have two boxes if you didn't use the first one.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
The end fight is also stupidly easy if you cheese it. Have everyone stay above the second drop-down and have one guy lure everyone into that area and wreck them.Especially if yuo can get the enemies to aggro on the people above, the guy acting as bait can survive too since the boss will just rubberband occasionally between him and the person with aggro.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I'd rather than bump up the rewards, I'd rather they bump down the requirement. That way if you've got a freshly minted 28 and picked up the lower amounts of CoVs along the way, you're not going to need to run through a tonne of them again for the CoVs.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Two. Two free Raiders Boxes if they've ever raided. 1 if not.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah, Twilight is one of the couple CitW items that can have better stuff randomgenned. I mean, if it's an upgrade it's probably not a bad idea, but there are better things. Things like Pinion, though? Fuckin' incomparable to anything else around.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
They patched that out one or two patches ago I think. or they talked about doing it.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

quote:

Lantern Ring
Ring
+144 Equipment Bonus to Light and Alignment Spell Power
+1 Insightful WIS
5% Chance On Harmful Spellcast: Do an additional 4d6 Light damage.
Colorless augment
Upgrade:
5% Chance On Harmful Spellcast: Do an additional 6d6 Light damage.
+18% Radiance Lore
Green Augment Slot
Quick, someone make a green lantern build.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Not to forget, returning throwing flask. I like how they seem to have focused on making completely different loot, both by effects and types.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Two-manned Haunted halls at 26 on normal with a buddy and it was pretty fun. We each died a handful of times (given the quest was level 28 and some of the poo poo in there -hurt-), but we completed every possible optional on a first time run-through(more stuff unlocks a second time. Saving that for another day since this one took multiple hours). There was a decent bit of variety, some of the boss stuff was cool. The music, atmosphere and layout was pretty good and the "story" was well-done. I've never run this campaign on pen and paper so I don't know how faithful it is to that, but all the dev dairies said they've tried to get it to be as close as possible given their assets and resources, which definitely becomes apparent in the playthrough. All of the encounters and the set-up has a very old-school feel to it that I can't quite describe. There are all these little flourishes like bloodstains and whatnot near traps, amusing little set-pieces and an over-all sense of most things being hand-built.

Unfortunately there are a few bugs and possibly unintended stuff. One of the optional bosses you can jump on a bedframe and avoid most of the damage, another optional allows you to basically let the adds fight the boss for you (might be intended since it thematically makes sense) and the primary story boss is pretty easy to kite around if you have a good enough reflex save and a ranged weapon so you can avoid the (very) slow moving adds. Mostly you really, really need some form of viable ranged options since a full melee party would have a brutal time of it.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

srb posted:

I played through it on EN solo, except my summonable panther to use his STR to open certain doors and levers, because there are some devious trap rooms with STR-required levers. Explored as much as I could and it took me about an hour, at the end there were two jewel-locked chests and two jewel-locked doors, I guess they are part of the alternate paths that unlock afterwards.

If you explore everything, you'll have three jewel keys at the end. We opened the left-most chest and the two doors. No idea what the other chests do.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

srb posted:

Yeah I played through it again and found more keys, like in the hearth. There's also a secret door behind the throne that leads to a pretty ridiculous encounter, the one you mentioned with the bed frame, which did not seem to work for me for staying safe.

They can get to you unless you position it just so. Also the shock damage can still hurt you. You just have to take it slow and watch for the debuff. I intagibbed my buddy 'cause he didn't have enough reflex and I was manying. :(

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I'm tempted to do some combo of Swashbuckler and Arcane archer with throwing weapons. Might be some nifty flavour. Maybe make use of some of the characters I have kicking around with all those free respecs and make some Monk/Bard/Elven archer hybrid thing.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Has there been any word on what the new named bucklers will be like? It seems like there are so many potentially cool things to do with this stuff.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah some of them are insanely good. I think one has 10% healing amp and another has 0.5[W] to sneak attacks as part of their bonuses.

edit: correction, .25[W] when flanking.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I'm always a fan of watching you play through stuff since you don't spend the first ten minutes droning on in a nasally voice about what exactly you specced and equipped. That being said, I always hate that I wouldn't be able to do the same without having a bajillion past lives first... I need friends who actually keep playing and are down to TR...

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
This is literally one of the worst things about MMO communities. You'll always get guys who go "Hey Dev, why do you make cool new stuff that's better than the stuff I had to poopsock for a bajillion hours to get? gently caress this poo poo, you should cater specifically to me because clearly I should always be the best forever and ever because of all that time I played." Guess what. If the new stuff is easy to get for others, it's also easy to get for you. Enjoy the time you had the best stuff around, then get over it and upgrade your gear.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

muizvoid posted:

Its not lucky when u constantly and put effort to grind it, use friends to help u, and u will get it for sure, it just a matter of effort.

i usually run epic quest with a static group, therefore it is easy for me to get the seal ,shard, scroll that i want if it drops. We help each other until everybody got what they want. Plus the old epic quest required a lot of strategy and skill (in EE also).

Hmmm ppl just love easy button

I was going to make a proper post about why your post is ridiculous, but then I remembered that this argument has played out millions of times across hundreds of games.

You're a ridiculous person and you should run off and be ridiculous somewhere in a deep dark corner.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Starting up an all bard party with some of my buddies and I've started researching stuff and my brain is just shutting down from all the possibilities. Somewhat limited in that it'll be a fresh character(32 pt build but access to Vet1 and 2 and the Iconic classes) with no past lives and nothing much by way of really good gear socked away since I never thought I'd run a bard. Considering Bladeforged since I'll likely dip pally levels anyway. I do kind of like the idea of having a runearm, though. I'd try orb, but I've always been poo poo at managing SP beyond buffs and heals.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
To the people saying warlocks are strong, are they strong or are they "strong" if you have a billion past lives, +5 stat tomes to everything and a bunch of gear saved up? I usually make alts instead of reincarnating and I've never gotten a caster beyond level 14 or so (friends stop playing or the whole mana management doesn't quite click), so I don't have a bunch of gear to transfer over. It'll basically be a properly fresh start beyond being a 32 pt build.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
drat. Sounds like I'm going to have to drag some friends back to play with, then. DDO just isn't the same solo/with pugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Wizards tend to be boring in the beginning in most games. They generally become cool once they've got the mana/sp/whatever to support casting a lot as well as a deep/flexible pool of spells to draw from, all of which tend to be lacking at the early stages of an rpg.

• Locked thread