Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
Looking at the "builds for new players" link, what would you say is an easy and fun first life character? I played very briefly years ago but never made it past level 7. I'd be interested in something that doesn't hit much of a difficulty curve at any level.

Do you have to TR twice to get 36pt builds, or just once? If I were to stick with it I think I'd most want to play arcane caster or artificer warforged, if that factors in to past lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Woden posted:

I have 18 hotbars up on my juggernaut, had 13 on my rog life and 20 as a clonk. Having to manage too many cooldowns or having too many click to hit type abilities(smite, cleave, momentum swing, etc.) is just too much for my aging brain.

Warforged arti is pretty great, repeaters tear things up fast until med levels and then to keep damage up in later levels you need to learn how to mix in rune arm and spells. If you don't you can still get by fine though, things will just take a little longer. There's almost no spell point management to learn either so you can blow almost all of it on buffs and heals if you want to, I think they're a great starter class.

You need to TR twice to get 36 point builds, once only gets you 34.
Are you suggesting a ranged artificer like that dubbel o'seven build that's floating around, or a 32pt melee artificer like the juggernaut? If the latter, hook a goon up. :)

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Pale master wizards have negative energy and artificers can repair via their homunculus - outside of the obvious healing spells, do any other classes have such effortless hp regen? I'm about to start a second character with a friend and we don't want to give hp management much thought.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

After farting around in Neverwinter for way too long, I've convinced my girl that playing DDO is a much better D&D experience. Of course, I know it's much more unforgiving when it comes to builds, and I have no experience playing any healer-type class so I don't want to give her my poo poo input. What suggestions would you guys have for a build that can do some decent healing while we level while still being able to dish out damage and not crumple like wet cardboard the second I turn a corner and she's still fighting things? (no sense thinking too much about EDs at this point, just something fun)

I was trying to come up with some neat ranged multiclass build but I don't really know what synergizes well and I'm sure it will be utter garbage if I try and 'theorycraft' something. Something without a ridiculously complex series of abilities would be great, because when she saw my wizard's seven hotbars she got afraid of the game.
I am in a similar position. My girlfriend definitely likes how accessible and nice Neverwinter looks, but she is looking for exploration and more than just grinding so DDO has that going for it.

I gave her a rundown of each class and she settled on wizard (pale master), I rolled artificer. Based on what you are saying I would think a favored soul fits the build: high on spell points, lower on spell selection. Cleric with its spell-like abilities in Disciple of Light tree seems pretty fun.

If I can share my metagame experience: don't force it, and don't worry about a power gaming duo if you guys are just going to level together and tinker around in instances. The great fun of "the D&D experience" is growing your own character and it could be easy to take that away with a tightly-controlled build. If she picks a class with no solo survivability just roll a build that can heal both of you and learn to only trigger traps once. :)

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Can low-level PCs tag along in the spectral dragon thing? Otherwise I doubt I'll find level 9-10 groups to run that with.

First lives! :argh:

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Hello goons. I'd like some advice on how to play a wizard. This is a first life character and I have zero experience with content higher level than Delera's so I'll be feeling my way through instances and don't have plat or equipment saved up.

I have leveled my guy to 10 and am still swinging a +1 screaming/bleeding greatsword and get the impression I should have transitioned to spell-slinging awhile ago. I keep hearing that the pale master tree is the way to go but the spell-like abilities of archmage seem appealing. Could anyone share what they would be doing with their wizard at this level, combat, enhancements and equipment-wise? If I should be crafting some equipment, would anyone be willing to help me out if they have an abundance of resources? Thanks!

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Woden posted:

Wow din't realize those Ottos boxes were so expensive, ~$30 to make getting +10 hp or whatever take one day instead of 3-4 is insane.
Could you give me the cliffnotes on super efficient leveling?

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

How would I chain Delera 2? Wouldn't I have to do Delera 1 first, or finish the chain and repeat it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

I'll have to get to a third life to start with elites on most of those quests. And I'll almost always be leveling solo, unfortunately.

• Locked thread