Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woden
May 6, 2006
Archers have been legit for a fair while now, and I think even throwers might be viable.

Haven't been able to log in yet so was curious, how much spellpower did you gain/lose on your toons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
I don't know if pure anything is optimal anymore, some will be viable sure(casters) but multiclassing just got a huge buff.

Just redid my jugg, recon for 523 instead of 525. No repair item, int skills, int item, gh, only 20 points in repair, etc so some room to grow but had to lose healing amp to get there. So kind of a wash, the arti trees are kind of meh, not great but not terrible I guess unlike paladin.

Some of the tooltips need work though, some were red and didn't say what I was missing to get them(I apparently met all the pre reqs) and some are just ambiguous. Far shot says it gives +1 SA die but is that only with bows? Does it stack with assassin or ninja spies +SA stuff? What about all the +[w], dodge, double strike stuff, how do they stack?

Reflex stuff seems to stack just fine so I guess all the others will be feat bonuses and so stack with each other unless specified but it's hard to tell.

Edit: time to go see how bad a pure pally is now.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I've seen some people have limited success with it while leveling but in general they're not very good. Because this game is very reactive movement wise it plays a big part and pet AI is terrible compared to a human. You can set up a pet to tank something but in general you're better off saving the SP you'd use healing the pet and just learning to dodge the attacks manually. Pets also do terrible damage, so all you end up using them for is opening doors and dragging your corpse back to a shrine to res.

But things have changed a ton with the enhancement pass so maybe I've missed some things.

Edit: +5 tomes are also in the store, 4795TP for a supreme and 3k for 4-5 upgrade.

Woden fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 20, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006

Gammon posted:

What about pure monks? Surely they are still pretty viable (if not required) if you want to do unarmed damage? Especially given how many awesome (in my mind) monk class features improve as you get more levels in the class.

Also, Warforged still seem to get racial +hp enhancements...I didn't notice anything on my artificer with being given free +hp at certain levels, is that just a human thing?
Monks might be viable but a 12 fighter/6 monk/2 cleric can be centered with an eSoS, gets kensei crit buffs, ki strikes with eSoS, tactics DCs up the wazoo, cha mod to str, tons of feats, etc.

The free hp thing is like +5hp per 5 levels in a class, so you get them at arti level 5, 10, 15, 20. I didn't notice it either but then I didn't really look for it, it might have changed since the beta.

edit: also of note hearts of wood no longer reset 20th lists and instead will give you just normal vendor trash.

Woden fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 21, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Might just be a bug with 20ths in general, so don't do 20ths until they're patched.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Fort saves aren't all that needed still, disease/poison doesn't crop up all that often and isn't that bad IMO, if you want decent saves for epic elite you're probably looking at 70+. Will you can still ignore mostly, they've been nerfing buffs like FoM and deathward recently so it might be relevant eventually.

Best armour after DT is probably dragon scale and then epic dragonscale.

Khops are generally bad now as everything else got buffed and new high level nameds. So lootgen is best.

Woden
May 6, 2006
The expansion is new and I don't know the ins and outs so only guessing at 70+, epic GH you want 65+ saves for no fail. Failing fort saves generally doesn't mean much at cap unless I'm missing something and for saves in general you'll see some benefit from maybe 45+ or so depending on the content you run, less if you're just doing epic norm but who cares about normal.

As for buffing saves resistance items got up to +10 now, stat enhancements to +11, epic destinies, pres, etc. all buff them by a big amount if you're willing to invest into it.

For the next tier in weapons check out the Caught in the Web raid, lots of nice things just no khopesh sadly. Epic destinies and now prestiges have lots of synergy with certain types of weapons so have a look at those too.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Paladin is kind of meh too, if you're a tank you get some extra healing amp but hotd feels weaker. No one needs a tank for anything really, FoT almost anyone can tank so the class is kinda bad.

Arti is pretty lame too unless you use runearms and cast offensive spells, but melee artis multiclass so not a huge deal as you can just funnel APs into other classes.

Also yeah, probably want a decent fort save for the new stuff. Got disintegrated for 533 in one of the quests, it was from a boss that just pikes on a ledge all quest and throws spells at you while you fight waves of trash.

Woden
May 6, 2006
If you're set on unarmed then go for it, just don't discount splashing some other classes is all as there's some delicious low hanging fruit. The centered monk with greatsword and divine might was just to give an idea of the flexibility.

I personally can't stand the monk playstyle with the huge amount of different attacks, all taking up valuable clicky/scroll/boost/etc. hotbar space and so love the change. I think, but am not 100% that you can do finishers and stuff while wielding a weapon if you're centered now? Thought I read something about it on the forums.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I have 18 hotbars up on my juggernaut, had 13 on my rog life and 20 as a clonk. Having to manage too many cooldowns or having too many click to hit type abilities(smite, cleave, momentum swing, etc.) is just too much for my aging brain.

Warforged arti is pretty great, repeaters tear things up fast until med levels and then to keep damage up in later levels you need to learn how to mix in rune arm and spells. If you don't you can still get by fine though, things will just take a little longer. There's almost no spell point management to learn either so you can blow almost all of it on buffs and heals if you want to, I think they're a great starter class.

You need to TR twice to get 36 point builds, once only gets you 34.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Forgot to edit out the random peoples names but this was what it was like as a clonk, too lazy to redo hotbars every time I swapped between EDs so there's a lot of redundant stuff(still have rocks from abbot there too :v:).

Melee + caster + multiple viable EDs = too many hotbars basically.

Woden fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 22, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Ranged probably. Juggernaut really doesn't shine if you don't have good weapons to back it up, it starts to feel anemic like most hybrid DPS characters in the late teens, if you've already got leveled destinies then at 20 you jump back up in power. But if you don't have good weapons, or leveled destinies, you're going to feel pretty weak. Especially since you're stuck starting with an Arcane sphere destiny as an Artificer build.
Yeah go ranged for a first life Arti, Juggs are low DPS from levels 14-20 or so and you don't get recon until late forcing you to use weak repair spells. They were pretty great in epics where EDs make up the majority of your damage but I'm looking for something new to TR into as the enhancement pass didn't help them as much as other classes.

Goons seem to love Pale Masters if reading this thread has taught me anything, so you could go that way too and get a lot of help fleshing it out.

For shadar-kai/rogue I really don't know anymore. You get all these buffs for going dex based and even some dex based abilities but then there's the weird poo poo like +trip dcs, the rogue ED favoring int heavily while giving nothing to str havers and missing a ton of DPS feats.

Been playing around with the idea of a 12 rog/6 monk/2 paladin stick fighter to exploit improved defensive roll but you have to go all in pretty much on reflex saves to get 100 and then can't use other synergies. No str so no cleaves, THF feats, Divine Might or Overwhelming Crit, most EDs suck and the ones that don't only offer Str/Con instead of dex for attributes.

I'd probably take some monk levels though for the Master of Forms and extras from henshin, and also a druid level for +1w and rams might for a str haver though. So 13/6/1 I guess?

Woden
May 6, 2006
Almost 100% positive that +tactics buffs stunning fist, monks are pretty ridiculous.

Just completed a True Elite saga, the rewards are kinda crappy. Choice between 4 +3 random skill tomes, 134k xp(that apparently goes away if you relog), 15k guild renown and an impressive trophy.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Intricate Field Optics or a Planar Focus of Subterfuge are also good places for +3 wis, with all the power creep from items this update it's kind of weird there's no lootgen +3(or even 4-5 heh) stats. I honestly wouldn't pay more than 200k for the spidersuit, people will be running that content again just to xp up and check out sagas.

On that rogue/monk staff build thing you're 100% right about enhancements, assassin and ninja spy have some great things in them so you'll be spread incredibly thin. I'd push for sweeping strikes though as I think I read that it'll enable sneak attacks.

Woden
May 6, 2006
The problem with the druid splash is I think the staff needs to be made of wood to benefit from Shillelagh, so pretty limiting. And if you go dex based you don't get the benefit of the other cool spell in Rams Might.

One cool thing I did notice earlier is that you can take the perfect TWF/THF epic feat without needing the rest of the chain, just the filled out destiny.

Woden
May 6, 2006
That's depressing, shadar-kai assassins are the scariest mobs in the game and probably account for 90% of my EE deaths. Was hoping the PC version was similarly as good.

Really need a character planner to come out soon and hopefully something other than Rons as I can never get it to work, a gear planner would be awesome too as there's just so much new stuff I'm a little overwhelmed on what to slot where.

Woden
May 6, 2006
The planner doesn't work under Wine, someone on his forums was going to look into it but that was 4 months ago and haven't heard anything since. Ddochargen.com was great but it hasn't been updated in a long time and is probably dead too. Since Turbine nuked their own hosted wiki(did it have API hooks? can't remember) it'll be a total PITA to make one from scratch so guess I'm out of luck.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Finally got back up to cap and one thing that felt wrong was the lack of progression between levels. 1.35 million xp to go from 27-28 with nothing in between, apparently the plan is to move to 30 next year then fill out those levels but with epic TRing coming it'll be very boring. 1.65 to go from 29-30 when they do that and near 5 mill if they follow heroic trends, that's a lot of dead space I really hope they fill somehow. I think I read they're planning on expanding EDs so maybe they can do something with that but I can't figure out what without locking you into one ED for that life pretty much.

Here's a funny anecdote, we were doing EE Trackers Trap with a FvS hire when one of the assassins started winding up with his chain. I got the hell out of there but the hire just stood there and tanked it like a champ and even mass healed itself(guess they finally took quicken), we had an actual SnB tank with us too and he was taking about the same damage from those assassin. Kind of reminded me of when SP management was a thing for raids, hirelings would have been better than any non pot chugging real healer back in those days and now we might have hires that are better tanks than we could ever build.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Stacking is all sorts of weird and the only way to know what does and doesn't is testing. Universal Spellpower from the Arti tree gave me zero help with recons so maybe some of those are bugged too and give nothing?

Quick Strikes from Henshin and Acrobat both share the same cooldown but Staff Specilization stacks, the enhancements really need better descriptions and probably a lot of bug fixing too.

Woden
May 6, 2006
If the Blinding Speed feat blocks slow and stacks with haste like the haste proc on GS does it's not terrible, basically +1 dodge/reflex and immunity to slow. Lot of ifs though and I don't remember any epic mobs that cast slow. The epic save feats are pretty nice too, if you get to no fail range then you don't need to bother with certain buffs and I've come around on epic toughness, it's a great feat.

Started a rog/monk stick build and can't wait til I hit 25 for sireth, 13-20 x4 is going to be brutal.

Woden
May 6, 2006
That convoy quest is awesome, charge up master blitz on the harpies and then just go to town. The carriers don't even fight back so you always have a source to keep blitz up if your self healing isn't great. Going to see if I can solo EE when I cap my acrobat, EH was a cake walk as a paladin so should be doable.

PDK is pretty bad for clerics IMO, Divine Might lets you add cha mod to str and PDK allows you to use cha for to hit and damage instead of str. So kind of a waste unless you really prefer the enhancements over what humans get.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Clerics and favored souls get tons of heals obviously, and so do bards to a slightly lesser degree. Paladins get ok self heals if you spec in some gear and feats for it and rangers get a +75 devotion at level one making them a relatively strong self healing melee. Bladeforged get a recon SLA which is pretty uber and dwarves get to chug two potions at once I think, which could be great late game where even silver flame potions might only heal for less than half max hp.

UMD heal scrolls with some scroll/heal amp is another way to go, as is monk with fists of light. Fists of light might be bad though, not sure how welll it scales up, henshin mystics get shadows cannot exist without light at char level 12 and monk level 5. It heals for 100 positive before healing amp and is working out pretty great for me so far. You can generally get away with pots until maybe level 7 or 8 or so though, and there's probably stuff in other prestige trees that I don't know about too.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Oh if you just want that then yeah nothing really, there's a number of clickes that heal over time too but most are garbage. I still want a few jungle cloaks though, as wand maximize works(worked? dunno if patched out) for clickes and it's the best one.

The henshin mystic thingy works kind of like a passive for me, just put it in your attack rotation and when stuff dies you get HP. But again level 12.

Edit: Sorry I misread what was asked for, been on a TR train for a while now and my brain is kind of fried.

Woden fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 31, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Do other MMOs have these sort of outages or is Turbine just bad at the internet?

Oh and Fenris13, why no ranks in spellcraft? With 17 int I'd guess you're putting levelups there and planning on using a tome for dex to get to either 17 or 19 for feat pre reqs so your DCs should be ok. I get that +23 spellpower isn't really all that much but every little bit helps, well IMO anyway.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Servers are back up now, I wonder if there will be any compensation this time?

Woden
May 6, 2006
I get the missing graphics thing a lot and have had it for like two years, it has gotten a lot worse recently though and I have read that some(all?) people can't see elec traps or the fencing on the bridge in harbor. Usually relogging fixes missing mobs and trees and the like for me, at least for a few hours when it'll invariably happen again.

As for Restless Isles, tried to do an at level Titan elite the other day where the boss was immune to the laser and when we dropped a pillar 2 would drop at once.

Woden
May 6, 2006

DemonMage posted:

This has happened regularly since the raid went into the game. It's a big part of why it's never really been a popular raid.
I've done about 30 titans and have seen the laser screw up a few times but the double pillar thing was new to me.

Woden
May 6, 2006
What charges up master blitz? Trip, cleave, g. cleave, supreme cleave, whirlwind and sunder I know work but what about sap or hamstring? And can you just spam sap/hammy on nothing like the others to charge it up before entering the quest?

Don't really want to waste flawless sibs shards, days worth of swapping and a few 100k plat testing if someone here knows the answer.

Woden
May 6, 2006
No idea how that works, having primal scream, cocoon and energy burst would be uber for melee TRs though.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Check out the power of the acrobat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZhYWbJA8v0

I honestly think Sireth is the best DPS weapon in the game right now, for a THF toon anyway.

Woden
May 6, 2006
That's a friends build, cocoon, meld and grim precision. Personally I've been really digging Shadowdancer, haven't capped or geared up yet so haven't bothered trying to solo EEs.

Cleaver is still pretty good but then you're locked in to 8 fighter levels and honestly not a huge fan of fighters Breach though I don't think is very good. It's a much worse eSoS but you get the planar conflux to try and make up for it, there's lootgen trinkets now so I don't see much going for it.

Woden fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 9, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Blitz isn't that hard to keep up in tough EEs as the rest of the group wont be killing all that fast anyway, and the mob density of the new stuff is pretty high.

Dropping planar focus is mainly so you can get better tactics and/or saves, LotD is alright now as divine might adds cha mod to str, lootgen can net you a green and colorless slot as well as a +11 in a stat and 20 skill. Lootgen trinkets seem very rare though and as you say 15 PRR is pretty good, so probably a moot point for all but the hardest of hardcore players. Not sure what else is possible in trinkets as I've only seen a couple.

eSoS isn't worth farming really, and hasn't been for a long time. But it exsists in a weird place ATM, does slightly less DPS than Cleaver but Cleaver costs you 2 more AP and a trinket slot. Breach doesn't cost AP but you're still down a trinket slot(for better or worse) and doing less damage than either of those.

I have two toons with eSoSs and they're just rotting in the bank, Sireth on acrobat and Cleaver on pally. Both have LotDs, but you're right 15 PRR is just too tasty for me to give up. Kind of a shame too because out of all the good two handers I like the look of the SoS most.

Woden fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 9, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Cannith is just as dead, 11 LFMs and 4 of those are broken.

I pug a fair bit still on TRs as it's the best way to meet new people, see weird builds in action and maybe find out a new way to do a quest. It's also way less boring than solo and less stressful than a lot of TR trains.

Edit: But yeah it's the same thing, TR zergs and a tiny amount of first lifers. I think the Iconic thing might be an issue too for low level new people.

Woden fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 11, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
There's still a lot of wasted APs though, that was one thing I really hoped would go away. Can't justify 11 AP in Mechanic for scroll mastery 3 or 17 in human for healing amp tier 3. I also had to burn a few points in Henshin just to unlock the good stuff but Shintao and Acrobat seem fine.

And are respecs buggy or something and not reseting costs over time? It'll cost me 112k to reset one tree and the price kept going up as I leveled, don't think I've touched that tree in almost 2 weeks. Resetting all trees will cost me over 1 mill, it has to be bugged right?

Woden
May 6, 2006
Well it was what, 10 AP before for tier 3 and 6 AP for tier 2? It's 17 now for tier 3 and 12 for tier 2.

I don't need skill buffs, don't have a dragonmark, none of the weapon styles benefit staves so that just leaves stat buffs while boosting and don't count me out. The stat buffs would be alright if I could get more than 5 per boosts rest, I could probably twist in +3 boosts but still not really sold on it. And don't count me out would be alright if the PRR was higher but as is it's pretty sad.

Edit: oh and the paladin enhancements are all pretty hilarious. Tier 1 KotC: extra remove disease(need 6pally levels to use this crap ability) divine light/extra turning(need 4 pally levels to turn), extra smite and attack boost. So only one of them is good and only 2 are actually usable til you hit level 4 or 6.

Tier 2: divine might, can take at level 2 but can't use til level 4, improved turning same prob(it's also poo poo), rally(garbage), extra smite and dmg boost. So three things that work at that level and only two are useful.

Defender Tree is similar, get all these buffs to stances in tiers 1-3 but don't actually get the stance til pally level 6.

Woden fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 12, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
+6 tomes from doing stupid Mabar? :stare:

Woden
May 6, 2006
Not sure what the Augs will do, but I'm pretty much set on slotting devotion in weapons at cap for cocoon. Guess my pally has the eGH gloves so can slot something else now but my rogue is kind of set on that path.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Mabar better go for a month, or those Signets better be BTA. I needs me some sexy tomes. And yeah, once and done for the day is way better than grinding stupid stuff in Delaras for days straight.

If the neg level thing stacks with Dreampiercer... giddyup.

Edit: only claim one +6 or +5 per character? Ouch, guess con would make the most sense for easy epic toughness but wow is it hard to choose. :/

Woden fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 13, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Don't see too many people pushing to get to level 28 so no real need to upgrade the gear just yet, I think making epic levels commoner levels is causing people to drag their feet. Well that and the mediocre loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
There's two 5 quest chains, one is in Eveningstar and the other is in Wheloon. Wheloon is tiny little hub and I don't remember if it has an AH, it's just north of Eveningstar.

People aren't really running it that often, was kind of popular for a week or so but then the +loot weekend finished and we found out that +4 tomes aren't dropping in ML 27 chests anymore. So no real point in doing them other than fun.

• Locked thread