Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Telsa Cola posted:

To be fair it can be kinda hard to cook in undergrad depending on your living situation. I got lucky and my first student apt has a in unit kitchen and then when I got off campus housing I had access to a full sized commerical kitchen which was great.

I live in Not New Jersey and after saving up all high school expecting NJ rent I've able to afford a nice studio with a tiny but bearable kitchen. I have a sv, cast iron, and one or two triclad so I'm golden. The tiny counter space sucks though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

PopeCrunch posted:

It is very important to me that you know I think you have one of the coolest usernames I've seen in a while.

:3:

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I went to some serious effort to gently caress up BLTs tonight. Made a sourdough boule, puddle-pasteurized some eggs for awesome garlic mayo, collected some tomatoes and lettuce from the farmer's market, then bought some bacon. I detected a distinct smell from the oven while the bacon was going, and finally noticed, too late, that it was maple flavored.

So here I am, obstinately munching on my garlic-maple BLT and trying to pretend it's actually edible.

Totally Reasonable fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 18, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Made shrimp scampi tonight. I've made it a million times. Sauce was done, just tasting it for seasoning. I determined I wanted like, 1/2tsp sugar to round out the more acidic than usual wine. I reach for the sugar bowl. It's been suuuuper humid here. gentle shake. Nothing. Gentle shake. Nothing. Gentle shFWOOSH! At least 1/4 cup of sugar.

I scraped out as much as possible with a silicone spatula, but still definitely ended up with spicy garlic lemonade shrimp. Adding another full lemon's worth of juice at least made it edible.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Today I made pulled pork. I thought it'd be nice to make a potato salad to go with it.

So I assembled all the ingredients, chopped everything... and reached for a bowl in the upper shelves above my counter. Said bowl proceeded to escape my grasp, smash on the counter, and cover all my carefully prepared food in glass, and the open dishwasher.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Oof. Yeah, that's lovely.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Glass in everything is nightmare time for me. drat.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My first few forays into candy making included breaking the stupidly fragile glass thermometers in caramels. I bought a metal probe one after the second one broke. Want some homemade intestinal perforation?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Did 20 hard-boiled eggs in the Instant Pot last weekend, 5 minutes at high pressure, then a supposed 5 minute natural release before letting the valve go. Well, I forgot to hit that valve at 5 minutes and they were in there for 1 hour 9 minutes past the finishing time.

The egg shells were brown-spotted and strange looking and the egg whites were light brown. Very loving weird. Tasted fine though.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

VERTiG0 posted:

Did 20 hard-boiled eggs in the Instant Pot last weekend, 5 minutes at high pressure, then a supposed 5 minute natural release before letting the valve go. Well, I forgot to hit that valve at 5 minutes and they were in there for 1 hour 9 minutes past the finishing time.

The egg shells were brown-spotted and strange looking and the egg whites were light brown. Very loving weird. Tasted fine though.

How was the consistency? Were they easier to peel then normal boiled eggs?
Did you serve them to anyone, and what were their reactions?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
They were easy as hell to peel, like all pressure-cooked eggs have been. My wife thought they were weird but ate them too, no real qualms.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Minor thing to keep the thread alive.

Tried making hollandaise sauce for the first time and this motherfucker won't thicken at all. Guess we're having hollandaise juice.

Edit: As soon as I took the time to post that, it started thickening :argh:

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 20, 2019

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Lecithin is your friend with hollandaise.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Hello again, gws. Lost tip of fingat on ye olde mandolin. Currently at the er on advice of my er nurse spouse. Kinda gnarly looking. Was doing carrots for chicken noodle soup. I made homemade egg noodles for the first time too :mad:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ah, nothin' beats the ol' mandoline for kitchen injuries.

I made homemade potato chips with mind a few weeks ago and used the guard and wore cut resistant gloves. Prior to that night I hadn't used it in a year due to prior fingat injury.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

Hello again, gws. Lost tip of fingat on ye olde mandolin. Currently at the er on advice of my er nurse spouse. Kinda gnarly looking. Was doing carrots for chicken noodle soup. I made homemade egg noodles for the first time too :mad:

I lost the tip of my thumb while using my mandolin on jalepenos.

I spackled it shut with neosporin, had a real painful week and now my thumb is funny shaped.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

ColHannibal posted:

I lost the tip of my thumb while using my mandolin on jalepenos.

I spackled it shut with neosporin, had a real painful week and now my thumb is funny shaped.

having had some minor discomfort after choppin' chillis in my life and having circumcised my thumb, how bad did the capsaicin hurt? :ohdear:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

having had some minor discomfort after choppin' chillis in my life and having circumcised my thumb, how bad did the capsaicin hurt? :ohdear:

A whole lot.

But that also could have been the thumb missing its tip. I don’t want to repeat the experiment to find out if the shooting pain up my entire arm was from nerve damage or spicy peppers.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 31, 2019

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Yeah, good point

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I made green chili mac and cheese last night. I used the modernist recipe, and added a cooked down paste of garlic, toasted cumin, and "mild" roasted hatch green chilies. Yeah, so the flavor was great, but holy poo poo was it brutally hot. I love spice, but man, this was tough. My wife is kinda a wimp (but working on it) and she could barely eat it.

The flavor was spot on, so using fewer chilies wouldn't really have been an option but man... The "mild" vs. "hot" designation on the chilies is pretty much a guess.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
This isn't my cockup or my disaster, but I woke up today to this loving travesty

Who the gently caress does that? What kind of loving nihilist sees an intact pie and takes scoops out of it AND STEALS THE CRUST FROM THE OPPOSITE SIDE

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This isn't my cockup or my disaster, but I woke up today to this loving travesty

Who the gently caress does that? What kind of loving nihilist sees an intact pie and takes scoops out of it AND STEALS THE CRUST FROM THE OPPOSITE SIDE

:murder:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Very minor mistake this weekend but I smoked a pork butt and my butt was still too firm to pull so I couldn't pull my pork. :(

I guess I should have given it a little more time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Quiet Feet posted:

my butt was still too firm to pull so I couldn't pull my pork. :(

A common problem.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quiet Feet posted:

Very minor mistake this weekend but I smoked a pork butt and my butt was still too firm to pull so I couldn't pull my pork. :(

Your butt was dummy thicc. :smith:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Quiet Feet posted:

You can just throw it in the oven to cook it more. (Idk maybe you'd refrigerated it at that point and reheating entire pork butts more than once is sketchy)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

No Wave posted:

You can just throw it in the oven to cook it more. (Idk maybe you'd refrigerated it at that point and reheating entire pork butts more than once is sketchy)

I would have but my mother-in-law was visiting and had a 3-hour drive to get home that night, so I didnt want to delay supper any longer. Guess I should have set it up a little earlier that morning. Ended up just chopping half of it into small pieces and leaving the rest in big hunks to put away. It was still a very tasty butt and actually pretty tender, just not fall apart tender.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Chopped pork is a thing too.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I’m having issues with making sugar glass. I’ve made it before with no issues but the last two batches have turned brown before hitting 300. I’m heating it slowly over an hour and a half, stirring constantly, but it still turns brown. Does anybody have any suggestions on a way to keep it clear?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
For clear sugar glass you need isomalt not normal sugar. You’re always going to get caramelization with normal sugar.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Oh ok. The pictures always look clear so I just assumed I was burning it

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Oh ok. The pictures always look clear so I just assumed I was burning it

I have looked this up and these people are sorcerers. I think they might be lying about using table sugar. Alternatively everyone in my candy making acquaintance circle has missed the boat somehow which is quite possible. I’ll go ask in one of the bigger threads.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Its not uncommon for scammy youtube cooking instructions to straight-up lie

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Its not uncommon for scammy youtube cooking instructions to straight-up lie

So Yummy is a major offender for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6abePkXncCM

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Stayed up late last night, made two dozen banana muffins, went to bed. Took a bite this morning and realized I'd forgotten to add any sugar at all.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Have some honey butter on those muffins. It’s not a flaw it’s a feature!

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Dropped cookies while they were still hot :(

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Dropped cookies while they were still hot :(

gently caress it, eat up. That's what your immune system is for.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Back in...ooh, probably around June or July? My grandparents moved into a retirement home, and my parents started the process of clearing out their house sonit can be put on the market.

This meant that any food still edible was brought back, so it wouldn't go to waste, and we ended up discovering that my grandmother (who has dementia) had managed to get my parents to buy her five boxes of brownie mix from Costco. Only one of which had even been opened, and only one packet of which had been used.

So, in the spirit of being helpful, I decided to make some brownies. My brother's birthday was coming up, anyway, and it would make a nice treat for him.

Despite following the instructions, the first pan of brownies came out...very fudgy. The insides oozed when I cut them. Figuring that maybe they would solidify as they cooled, and that more brownies is never a bad thing, I set that pan to one side and made another one.

The second one, I let stay in the oven for the maximum amount of time the instructions recommended. These ones came out fine. Possibly a little overdone on the bottom, but compared to the first pan, they were fine.

The first pan of brownies never actually solidified further. I needed a spoon to serve them, because they had a crust surrounding oozy chocolate and you could not get them out of the pan with just a knife.

They tasted fine, but it's the first time I'd ever made underbaked brownies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

tinytort posted:

The first pan of brownies never actually solidified further. I needed a spoon to serve them, because they had a crust surrounding oozy chocolate and you could not get them out of the pan with just a knife.

They tasted fine, but it's the first time I'd ever made underbaked brownies.

Lava cake. It's all about the marketing. :eng101: