Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Powdered sugar contains cornstarch which won't dissolve properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Powdered sugar doesn't dissolve in water? :confused:

It has to be as it contains some bulking or anti caking agent. Kinda like how powdered Splenda is high in carbs due to the material used to turn it into granules.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's like flour, it lumps if you dump it all in the water at once instead of first making a paste of it.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
I had some other misadventures with icing, mostly because I kept trying to frost cakes that aren't really supposed to be frosted. Like pound cake. Or angel-food.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
My trick upon realizing that i'm out of powdered sugar to make frosting with is go "gently caress it" and make caramel instead, since regular sugar can be used for that.

until you fall asleep (in my defence I'd been cooking for a solid 10+ hours at home because goddammit i was only going to get the kitchen counter covered in flour *once* this entire month and I'd just freeze the gnocchi, pizza dough, bread dough, etc that I'd make all in one giant batch. Along with the regular dinner I made on top of it) while carmelizing the sugar.

...the apartment building wound up evacuated. I didn't have the heart to tell anyone until the fire department showed up that the pot was already safely out in the snow where it could no longer be spreading noxious burnt sugar death to everyone else in the building.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

I've maced myself many times with dried peppers and hot oil, but I've just now mustard-gassed my kitchen and it's 100x worse.

I may have a future in terrorism.

One of my roommates long ago got into a phase where he made chicken wings all the time.

One night he tells his then girlfriend to put some oil on the stove and heat it up for him. She goes in and fills a pan full of oil and just cranks the stove to max.

He comes by a bit later and just dumps a whole bag of frozen wings into the pan without taking stock of how hot the oil was. The reaction was, um, energetic and promptly burst into flames. They died out soon, and he managed to turn the stove off and run away, and just leave the smoke grenade to continue going off in the kitchen.

It filled the whole apartment full of this acrid, caustic, oily black smoke. It burned you eyes and it hurt to breathe. Not to mentioned that it smelled awful. It took forever to get the film of oil the settled over everything in the kitchen and immediate vicinity cleaned up.

Princess Neurotica
Jul 31, 2008

Iron Tusk posted:

One night he tells his then girlfriend

I think I can pinpoint where the relationship began to go wrong.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Out of curiousity, if you don't have an oil thermometer handy, what's a good way to figure out whether the pan of oil is too cold, just right or HOLY poo poo FIRE?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ignoranus posted:

Out of curiousity, if you don't have an oil thermometer handy, what's a good way to figure out whether the pan of oil is too cold, just right or HOLY poo poo FIRE?

Flick a tiny drop of water into it and gauge how angry the oil gets.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ignoranus posted:

You turn the pan off and buy a thermometer.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Ignoranus posted:

Don't turn on the heat. There's some primitive ways like dropping water or dipping chopsticks, but when putting any real quantity of oil over an open flame, you're going to want to make sure you know how the oil is going to react before you put something into it

E: heating the oil too high also makes it taste like rear end even if it doesn't catch fire, so if taste matters more than safety, you should still get a fry thermometer

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Ignoranus posted:

Serious/practical answer: viscosity drops continuously up to the flashpoint.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

Splizwarf posted:

Serious/practical answer: viscosity drops continuously up to the flashpoint.

I find when it reaches the viscosity of room temperature water, it's ready.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Put in slice of potato, observe. Also oil at around 170C is sort of "shaky" so I can kind of see when it is ready, at least in SS cookware.

Get a proper deep fryer I guess.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sjurygg posted:

Put in slice of potato, observe. Also oil at around 170C is sort of "shaky" so I can kind of see when it is ready, at least in SS cookware.

Get a proper deep fryer I guess.

I like to get water on my fingers and fling the dropletts at the oil. If it pops, it's good for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've ruined a cheesecake and a flan by forgetting to put the water in the water bath, and trying to dump a saucepan of boiling water into the dish while it's in the oven, and getting water into my cheescake/flan :argh:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If it happens again, use a turkey baster.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Splizwarf posted:

If it happens again, use a turkey baster.

I don't have one. I'll just remove the flan, add the water, and then put it back in. It's just me trying to save 45 seconds and instead ruining 20 minutes worth of work.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Drop a piece of bread crumb in the oil. If if gets super dark when it hits the oil, your oil's waaay too hot.

Or don't be as ghetto as I am and get a thermometer.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Iron Crowned posted:

I like to get water on my fingers and fling the dropletts at the oil. If it pops, it's good for me.

This, but with a super soaker from across the room.

Deep frying really does need a thermometer, though.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
I was four, and I was "helping" my mother with dinner for probably the first time. She let me drop the spaghetti into the requisite pot of boiling water. I thought "Oh what great fun, I want to do that again!" And so, I reached into the pot to pull the spaghetti out so that I could repeat the act.

My next memory is of riding home from the hospital with my hand wrapped in gauze.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

ColHannibal posted:

I followed this recipe;

http://damngoodfood.blogspot.com/2005/12/ginos-east-pizza-recipe.html

Seriously his ratios are screwed to all hell, I followed exactly and I had a batter sitting in my mixer. I added more flour to try to firm it into a doughy but I did not add enough, the pizza I am eating has the worst crust I have ever tasted. Its like a soggy mess that dissolved everywhere except the outer ring.

Not only is that recipe horrid, that side is amazingly bad. Everything is just a horrible recipe. He has a jambalaya recipe features Hillshire Farms sausage and a bay leaf as the only seasonings. Not even garlic :psyduck:

his chili is also depressing.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Not only is that recipe horrid, that side is amazingly bad. Everything is just a horrible recipe. He has a jambalaya recipe features Hillshire Farms sausage and a bay leaf as the only seasonings. Not even garlic :psyduck:

there's also the 'cornbread' that's 2/3 wheat flour, the spanish rice that isn't and the coleslaw using miracle whip :confused:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
So the obvious question: which GWS poster is running a troll food blog? :v:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Are you talking about the chili article that starts with the sentence "The chili/cinnamon roll combo started in the public schools in northwest Iowa."?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MeramJert posted:

Are you talking about the chili article that starts with the sentence "The chili/cinnamon roll combo started in the public schools in northwest Iowa."?

You could probably make a really interesting sloppy joe using cinnamon rolls as the buns.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

You could probably make a really interesting sloppy joe using cinnamon rolls as the buns.

How about waffles?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Jesus Christ that's so disgusting but I would still eat the gently caress out of that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sour Blossom posted:

I was four, and I was "helping" my mother with dinner for probably the first time. She let me drop the spaghetti into the requisite pot of boiling water. I thought "Oh what great fun, I want to do that again!" And so, I reached into the pot to pull the spaghetti out so that I could repeat the act.

My next memory is of riding home from the hospital with my hand wrapped in gauze.

I did that, but with chicken noodle soup, and I grabbed the handle for some inexplicable reason and topped it on my face.

Thank God it wasn't boiling, just hot.

Yesterday I forgot to add yeast to 95 dozen yellow poppy sub buns. :downsbravo:

I fixed it about two hours after the fact.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Drifter posted:

Jesus Christ that's so disgusting but I would still eat the gently caress out of that.

Sure that is a lot of frosting, but it's just a different way of cooking it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ColHannibal posted:

Sure that is a lot of frosting, but it's just a different way of cooking it.

What I meant as disgusting was the lovely artificial ingredients the company puts in that dough mix.

It's the equivalent to eating Kraft Mac n Cheese with yellow #5 'cheese ingredient' when you could take just twenty extra minutes to make delicious real oven baked mac and cheese from scratch.

There's nothing wrong with that level of frosting. If you' gon' play with a cinnamon roll, you gon' get wet and sticky, baby.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
You're also eating four of those in one go....

Ooomph would eat.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

MeramJert posted:

yes haha

I got too much amusement out of that site the other day

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Does no one else get that weird, almost astringent aftertaste after eating a Pillsbury product? I'm pretty sure it's contributed to by what Drifter said concerning all the poo poo they put in. Nothing beats a good, yeasty, homemade cinnamon roll.

I recently made some buttermilk cinnamon rolls and didn't get a chance to bake them right away. I was sure that would turn out to be a disiaster, but they just ended up cold fermenting in the fridge (about two nights) and tripled in size. Best ones I've made in my life.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Never really buy any of their dough/bread products (other than weiner wraps for a treat) but we bought some of their cookie tubes since it was on sale (shopping while hungry) and while I didn't get a bad aftertaste, their were to the point of sickeningly sweet.

To contribute to the thread, how about a drink disaster?

When I was a kid my folks were hosting some sort of cocktail party and everyone was having a great time mixing drinks. I asked my mom if I could too and she said OK as long as I left the "adult" bottles alone.

Milk and apple juice do not mix very well. :barf:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

slidebite posted:

Never really buy any of their dough/bread products (other than weiner wraps for a treat) but we bought some of their cookie tubes since it was on sale (shopping while hungry) and while I didn't get a bad aftertaste, their were to the point of sickeningly sweet.

To contribute to the thread, how about a drink disaster?

When I was a kid my folks were hosting some sort of cocktail party and everyone was having a great time mixing drinks. I asked my mom if I could too and she said OK as long as I left the "adult" bottles alone.

Milk and apple juice do not mix very well. :barf:

Clearly you've never made a cinnamon apple milkshake. :colbert:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
first time I ever tried to make bread, I was in college and thought I kinda sorta knew what i was doing (I didnt).

Did not have a real mixing bowl so I put all my flower, milk etc into a teflon baking pan, got out the electric mixer and started mixing all the stuff together. Needless to say it ripped this poo poo out of the pan and little flakes of teflon got mixed in with the rest of the stuff.

Well I didn't know any better, so I baked it.

And ate a peace...UGH!

I am much better at making bread now fortunately.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Cimber posted:

all my flower, milk etc

I found your problem.

Cimber posted:

And ate a peace...UGH!

Uh, bro, I think you're supposed to smoke that.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
yeah yeah, so spelling isnt my strong point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I looked at the first entry on that site and immediately because so loving pissed because

1. Why would you put food coloring in pizza crust?!

and

2. THAT shitbird has a Kitchenaid mixer and I don't.