Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Similar sugar story:

We went down to my aunt's house for our annual christmas cookie baking event. Our first batch of dough is made, we pop it into the oven and let them cool. We all take a bite and the room just goes silent as everyone just looks at each other.

What we thought was white sugar was in fact sugar subtitute. Either splenda or equal, but eating cookies made from that poo poo (not even the mixture of splenda+brown sugar) was just horrifying. We quickly threw out that dough and started from scratch. Who has a tub of white sugar subtitute in their kitchen? :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Steve Yun posted:

What was different about it? I'm curious because most sugar substitutes are cut with massive amounts of dextrose or maltodextrin, and I'm curious what those do when baked

The texture was completely off, much lighter. The flavor tasted almost... plastic-y? Definitely very, very wrong.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

NoodlesVonSexron posted:

When I was 12 years old, I was tasked with frying chicken legs for the whole family. I'd never done anything more complicated than baking a frozen pizza, so I was doomed from the start. I dipped the legs in flour and dropped them in the hot oil to fry. As soon as they were golden brown I pulled them out and served them up. I still remember watching my uncle bite into one and seeing the chicken blood drip down his chin. I'm 25 now and only recently tried frying chicken again. It went much better.

I'm sorry but who the hell tasks a 12 year old with deep frying chicken?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Pancakes don't generally have yeast but you're right, it's missing some sort of leavening agent (baking powder).

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 17, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

feelz good man posted:

Look at how wrong this non-sourdough pancake haver is

Hence me saying generally. Sourdough pancakes are not the norm, especially at a mom and pop shop.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Casu Marzu posted:

:colbert: maybe they should be

Maybe every steak should come with a blowjob.

Don't see me complaining here :colbert:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Tell us more about the things that you've tried to make a piece of steak orgasm.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I just don't understand why America insists on measuring mass with volume still. It's loving absurd.

We're doing it right, the rest of the world is messed up. :911:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Had a near disiaster last night for the super bowl:

I made baked buffalo wings for the party and had prepped about 10 pounds of them ahead of time by parboiling them in some chili-spiced water (basically poaching em). They'd been in the fridge for a while to dry off their skin and then were about to go in the oven. As the oven was heating up, new people arrived to the party and I got out of the way so they could put their beers away in the fridge and start getting food.

About 5 minutes later I notice some of the wings that I had taken out fridge to put on the baking trays had disappeared! I run out into the living room to see a couple of the people eating cold, boiled, unseasoned, unsauced chicken wings. :gonk:

Fortunately, the wings were cooked through completely and no one got sick but I was still mortified! I was able to explain what happened and got them crisped up and sauced wings in a bit and they were much happier. :unsmith:

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 3, 2014

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

This is incredible.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
You're also eating four of those in one go....

Ooomph would eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

letthereberock posted:

My wife and I got an urge for late-night chocolate chip cookies. The only problem is, our kitchen is right next to the baby's room - and he'd been having some rough sleeping nights, so I didn't want to risk waking him up by turning all the lights on. No matter! I've made chocolate chip cookies so many times I can easily make them with nothing but the faint stove-light.

So - butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, baking soda, chocolate chips - I'm mixing everything together, but why am I getting this strong smell of....toothpaste?

Turns out that the bottles of vanilla extract and mint extract are the exact same shape and size. I'd forgotten I had the mint extract and in the dark, I hadn't bothered to look at the bottle before putting it in.

Now, minty-chocolate chip cookies wouldn't necessarily be inedible, but mint extract is STRONG - this was at least 3 times as much as you'd want to use if that is what you were going for. By that point I was too tired to make another batch - so no cookies for us.

If I have a craving for late night cookies, I run to my nearest 24 hour mart (I'm in NYC so a lovely bodega). Most have them have these:

20 minutes later you have serviceable chocolate chip cookies.