Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I followed this recipe;

http://damngoodfood.blogspot.com/2005/12/ginos-east-pizza-recipe.html

Seriously his ratios are screwed to all hell, I followed exactly and I had a batter sitting in my mixer. I added more flour to try to firm it into a doughy but I did not add enough, the pizza I am eating has the worst crust I have ever tasted. Its like a soggy mess that dissolved everywhere except the outer ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Well the corn meal definitely makes sense for a Chicago style pizza crust, though that is a lot of it. To me the real warning bell is the food-coloring

To be fair every recipe for Geno's east I can find calls for it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

sink the biz posted:

isn't that the norm for Chicago style casserole?

I dont think you understand, I pulled the outer ring off in one piece, there was no crust at the bottom following this mad man who claims to have made pizza.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Ten minutes of power-kneading in a mixer is a really long time. Also, how much protein is in his flour? He doesn't even say what kind he's using. King Arthur, for instance, just straight can't be used for some things (like Naan) without adjusting the rest of the recipe, as it's way higher protein (ie gluten, ie density and viscosity). There's a pretty good US State Department cockup story about that.

And hey blog guy, if you let it rest on the kitchen counter to rise all day, what temperature is your kitchen? v:v:v

That's a lovely recipe.

I should have done the math in my head, but its roughly a 1:1 ratio of liquid to dry :/

He also has no salt in his dough.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Powdered sugar doesn't dissolve in water? :confused:

It has to be as it contains some bulking or anti caking agent. Kinda like how powdered Splenda is high in carbs due to the material used to turn it into granules.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Drifter posted:

Jesus Christ that's so disgusting but I would still eat the gently caress out of that.

Sure that is a lot of frosting, but it's just a different way of cooking it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Kitchenaids go up in wattage and price hand in hand. Some of the attachments are hella expensive too, like the one trick pony pasta attachments (of which there are about 5).

I rescued a top of the line one that's probably over 30 years old from my grandma's house when we where moving her. It also came with an entire cabinet of attachments including the meat grinder and a pasta maker.

All I have ever done with it is make a batch of brownies from a box.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

lousy hat posted:

I realize this is from a month ago, but http://damngoodfood.blogspot.com/2005/12/american-food-for-german-company.html

Stew recipe: Browned meat, chopped vegetables, and then stew the whole loving thing in V8.

Holy poo poo.

God drat it I saw the video on the pizza and I want to try the recipe which is completely different than the one he had written.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The secret ingredient is garlic salt to make blue box Mac and cheese into something not... Terrible.

I will admit after a lovely day there nothing like a box of lovely orange noodles and s few hot dogs sliced and pan fried with some mustard on the side.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Astrofig posted:

Hell, try mixing the mustard in. Turmeric (the primary flavoring in mustard besides vinegar) enhances the flavor of cheese, makes it more intense. Might make it taste a little more like real food.....

Oh I do the classic mustard powder and hot sauce when making real Mac and cheese, but if I'm going blue box for comfort, I'm looking for a specific flavor profile.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Get these, it's a steal for 2 good pans and they will hold up great.

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Unison-Nonstick-10-Inch-Omelette/dp/B004RIY4J4/ref=pd_sim_k_14?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YTQ58D6NC53TBQP126X

Don't get hooked, the 2 pack is the only reasonably priced piece of the set these come from.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

CrazySalamander posted:

Oh my god I misread that as "my son". Still, don't leave poo poo out overnight, it really does kill people.

When I lived in Nebraska my favorite thing to do was put a giant pot of soup (with a lid of course) on the patio in winter overnight. Was actually probably safer than the fridge or freezer as it was able to cool it faster than a fridge.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I call bs, where is the food shrapnel?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
My Arian youth grandmother's idea of matzo ball soup she used to make my grandfather was equivalent to a soggy balled up piece of wonder bread floating in water and oil.

Not everybody is blessed with a grandmother who can cook.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Dogfish posted:

You might have to unpack this a little.

Naw it's pretty simple, Grandma was a Nazi, Grandpa was Jewish.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Pre-emptively posting here in case this becomes my last words.

I'm grilling some basic grocery-store sausages, and the internet has been extremely unhelpful in answering a simple (sounding) question: how long? I get lots and lots of "internal temperature 160 F" which is clearly just basic CYA boilerplate, and nothing more than "low and slow" without details. I don't have a meat thermometer, so I'm just gonna cut one in half after they look done-ish and hope for the best.

:sigh:

If its grocery store brats or sausages please don't throw them raw on a grill. the fat will flare up and you will have charcoal that is full of raw pork.

Get some cheap beer and some chopped onions, boil your brats in the beer and onion mixture then finish them on the grill.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Samizdata posted:

I agree with the tasting, but the cooking idea only partially. For example, the mushrooms. By the time I am done cooking mushrooms the way I want to eat them, they will turn to mush mush after simmering in a sauce for a goodly bit. Same with the onions.

You best not be putting raw onions in a tomato sauce.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Well thanksgiving #2 started off by the oven dying so we have a countertop oven going and a grill which I am trying to balance to keep 350, let’s see if I can avoid posting a follow up with my dinner disaster.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome your newest member of the mandoline accident club. :toot:

So did you remove a piece of your finger or where you using a mince attachment and sliced your finger.

As I have done both and let me tell you that you never grow your fingertip back.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

Hello again, gws. Lost tip of fingat on ye olde mandolin. Currently at the er on advice of my er nurse spouse. Kinda gnarly looking. Was doing carrots for chicken noodle soup. I made homemade egg noodles for the first time too :mad:

I lost the tip of my thumb while using my mandolin on jalepenos.

I spackled it shut with neosporin, had a real painful week and now my thumb is funny shaped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

having had some minor discomfort after choppin' chillis in my life and having circumcised my thumb, how bad did the capsaicin hurt? :ohdear:

A whole lot.

But that also could have been the thumb missing its tip. I don’t want to repeat the experiment to find out if the shooting pain up my entire arm was from nerve damage or spicy peppers.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 31, 2019