Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Croatoan posted:

So I was making chocolate chip cookies and two things went wrong but it worked out amazingly well. First, I nuked the butter and it was too hot so when I poured it on the chocolate chips they melted so now they're just chocolate cookies. No biggie. However I went brain dead and instead of adding 2 and 1/4 cups of flour I added 2 quarter cups of flour (a half cup) and thought the batter seemed a little funny. Well I baked them and they turned into a super thin sheet of what I'd describe as a cookie "crisp". I had to slice it up with a pizza cutter and the family devoured them.

That (or something close to it) happened to my group in home ec once. We were supposed to make chocolate chip cookies. We swore we measured everything correctly, but somehow our cookies, even post-baking, remained a soggy glop that we portioned out with a spatula.

Then this one time mom and I were making Christmas cookies after a couple of Fuzzy Navels each. It was great fun and I could swear we'd done everything right, but the cookies became flat little depressing blankets of failure.

On another occasion I was making pasta for dinner, and it had to be done quickly. I figured, hey, salt lowers the boiling point of water, right? (It doesn't.) So the more I add, the faster it will be done. That pasta came out tasting like seawater.

Missing Name posted:

Unbelievable. I have never seen Velveeta go bad before. I didn't think it was possible.

Yeah! Mom bought a brick of it once without looking at the date. We got it home, and unwrapped it to find it covered with fuzzy gray mold. Turns out it was two years old. Cue angry return trip to the store and fat envelopes of free coupons from the manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Not as extreme as some of these but today I tried making some rice to pour my soup over (being sick sucks) and went by the package directions---which call for a cup of rice and a quart of water. That seemed like a lot but what do I know? So I filled a saucepan, dumped in the rice, covered it, let it do its thing for the five minutes---and then went to stir and fluff it. Predictably, the rice was submerged at the bottom of five inches of water. Drained out it tasted okay, but in the meantime I'd used a dishtowel to cover my bowl of soup while I microwaved it and somehow the broth had wicked up into the towel, leaving me with very little broth and a strangely-slick, chicken-scented towel.

The rice and soup were both delicious, though.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I worshipped the chickentowel for the heaven-sent gift that it was, and then I washed the chickentowel.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

pandaK posted:

What kind of rice packet asks for a quart of water per cup of rice?

Not a packet; it's from a box (and came from Walmart, if that tells you anything.) And it was supposed to make two servings. I may have used the wrong size measuring cup; I have no idea.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Hell, try mixing the mustard in. Turmeric (the primary flavoring in mustard besides vinegar) enhances the flavor of cheese, makes it more intense. Might make it taste a little more like real food.....

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
NVM

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Found this photo making the rounds; I have no idea what they were trying to cook or how particularly it went wrong....

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
So the other day I cooked a steak and tried to make a sauce for it by deglazing the pan with red wine. Well, it immediately started hissing and bubbling and smelling real strongly like wine, but eventually it reduced to this dark thick stuff that was almost burned-colored but tasted good----but I only got a small dribble of it; a lot of it boiled away as I was pouring it over. How can I prevent this next time?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

poop dood posted:

I'm willing to bet that you didn't turn the heat down, or if you did you didn't let the pan cool off.

Got it in one; it happened so fast I had no time. Should I have used a lower heat setting, maybe, so the reduction happened slower and less boiled out?

Psychobabble posted:

After it turns dark and thick, add some stock then let it get dark and thick again then add a knob of butter and stir it in.

Sounds righteous; noted. Thanks!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
You might say the yolk would be on her.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Nicol Bolas posted:

They tell you that you can just knead in things you are missing from a dough if you happen to forget an ingredient.

This is true for everything but yeast.

How????? Just....how

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I dropped a raw egg on the floor this morning.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yesterday at work a co-worker was making grits. We make roughly 15 gallons of grits at a time, and store them in 5 gallon buckets.

It was the end of the day, and he'd just filled his last bucket with hot grits. He was about to take them over to the walkin, picked up the bucket, and the handle broke, dropping the bucket onto the floor. We heard his mighty "ffFffuuuUUUUCK" and for a moment couldn't tell if he'd dropped it on his foot, or spilled the grits he just spent 90 minutes making. No worries on the latter, because he had a lid on the bucket, phew. And his foot was fine. But the bucket's side and bottom actually popped in and was severely dented because the plastic was soft from the hot grits.

Next thing I know, he's asking me for our giant roll of plastic wrap. I watch as he wraps his arm up, puzzled as to what he's about to do. Then, in slow motion for me, I watch him plunge his arm up to the elbow into a bucket of just-came-off-stove, flaming hot grits.

:stare:

He achieved his goal of popping the deformed bucket back into shape, but not before making a face pretty close to :gonk:, then hissing an incredible string of expletives through gritted teeth as he tore off the plastic wrap and glove he was wearing.

And that's why they call it degloving!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Killingyouguy! posted:

Oh yeah it's good af

Especially bc I didn't realize you only heat up the milk and not the cream too

It's very caffeinated

Can, uh, can we get a recipe for this caffeinated ice cream?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Tried making potato pancakes tonight. I'm not sure if too much milk was involved, or not enough egg/flour, but they never did crisp up all the way. Ended up baking them in the oven and thatgotthe outside crispy enough, but inside it was still too soft.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

angerbeet posted:

Were you going for latkes or rosti or pancakes w/ potato in them, what was the original intent, because it doesn't usually involve milk in my mind.

e: Whatever the case you need to squeeze as much liquid from the grated potato as possible.

Latkes. Id heard you could make them from mashed potatoes, not grated ones.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've done that, and the water too. Very annoying to clean x.x

YEP!

So backstory, my dog is old---like 13, we think; she's a rescue so we don't know exactly---and has long since hosed up her teeth chewing bones and sticks as a puppy. So instead of hard kibbles she won't even try to chew, we've been giving her a cup of cooked rice mixed with wet food. She loves it, no tooth-pain, all is good. Until the other day when I went to feed the dogs around 5 am, as usual. In my half-asleep daze I forgot to put any water in with the rice. Was alerted to this by the increasingly-strong burnt popcorn smell and wisps of smoke from the microwave. I opened the door to find a nice bowl of carbon.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I worked briefly in a kitchen (at a nursing home) and recently the cook decided that since there wasn't enough sour cream for his potato casserole he would use cream of tartar instead. They tasted lemony. Not unpleasant, just....weird.

Oh, and apparently to these people bread pudding means 'cut up bread cubes and then mix them with powdered sugar and make vanilla pudding from a mix to put on top'. No eggs, vanilla or milk was used, so far as I'm aware.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Good point but that's probably giving them way too much credit.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Yeah honestly it wasn't so much gross as....weird, and not what you expect when taking a bite of potato casserole. I kinda like sour things too but....maybe not in potatoes.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Huh, one turkey destroyed the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Set it and forget it!!