Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
WHY would you spend a loving fortune on PB2, and then add back the fat that makes it peanut butter? The entire point of it is that you can use it to coat things that you would find too messy with using peanut butter. Use it in an application where it'll actually stand out, and be something special, like Tofu Dango:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PZuMdrYI7E

Instead of the kinako, use the powdered peanut butter.

Or, take some sliced apples, and sprinkle liberally with the PB2. I love apples and peanut butter, but it's so darned messy to make. It would work great on cold soba noodles, where you toss it with a bit of sesame oil, soy sauce, a little hit of sriracha, some sliced scallion, a little bit of ginger, and a few sprinkles of the peanut butter powder. It will mix together without breaking the sesame noodles (as the regular peanut butter tends to do). Delicious. Bake off some sweet potatoes in the oven until they're tender. Slice them open into wedges, and place under the broiler so that the sugars get really caramelly. Sprinkle on some peanut powder instead of butter or sugar. It'll be heavenly.

When you're spending quite so much on a product, use it in places where it'll shine. Dumping it into smoothies, or baked goods is a little silly, as regular peanut butter will do the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So my friend has this oven cookery book. It asked you to make a breadcrumb coating using flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs. NO MORE INSTRUCTIONS THAN THAT.

So s/he put the flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs in a bowl, and mixed it together. After the first stir, s/he realised what they meant.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I do, but I don't want to out the guilty, even though s/he isn't on this website. Also, what Casu said. I seriously thought he was a chick.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

What kind of grocery can have so little rotation that a block of velveeta can sit there for two+ years
A store where the shoppers have TASTE.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tweek posted:

Is that what that is? Paging dino.

Leave me out of this. In the South, curry means dry-cooked veg. It's the northerners who poop on their food, add sugar, add cream, and basically make it this stewy messy poo poo.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tweek posted:

Really? Because I got a jar of something called, "curry powder", and it certainly smelt of diarrhea.
I know it's a joke, but for the record, we don't actually use curry powder in India.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tweek posted:

I had thought you were supposed to let asafoetida breath.

What Tweek said. Just let it sit by the windowsill, or the counter, or whatever for a couple of hours. Within a day, the smell will be gone. If you try to contain it, however, your entire pantry/kitchen/house (depending on the size) will reek of the stuff.

... Unless you buy the weird North Indian asafoetida, which they add turmeric to for some reason.

Either way, just let it breathe, and you'll be fine.

@Axolotl: That does look decidedly European.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tweek posted:

You got a problem with turmeric? :colbert:

LOL

No, I love the stuff. <3

When I'd be in the kitchen with my mum (as a kid), and I'd cut my finger by accident, she'd immediately sprinkle turmeric onto the cut. It'd sting like the nine hells, and then feel better. We put it into drat near everything, and it found its way into stuff that even other South Indians were like "You all put tumeric in that too? Huh. No wonder it's so good."

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Robindaybird posted:

While not quite a disaster, it's amusing. One thanksgiving, my folks decided to make some pies - a pecan pie, and a rhubarb (well the pecan was a disaster, they followed the recipe, but it was a gross syrupy mess) the day before. They threw a clean dishtowel over the pies before going to bed.

Later that night, I heard a noise from the kitchen and got up to investigate, and caught our cat on the kitchen stove standing right on top of the pies

I ended up yelling at her, and waking up my aunt who went to see what was going on. We investigated the pies, and discovered that despite her exploring and running off when I caught her, she just left two perfect paw-shaped holes in each pie.

So how'd the pie taste?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Aristophanes posted:

- I also attempted, when I was about 13, to make bread using prepackaged wholegrain bread mix. Everything's right there, how could it go wrong?
Even though I swear I followed every instruction to the letter, it came out like a knobbly cinderblock. It didn't rise at all and was the approximate flavour and texture of a block of styrofoam. I have not made bread since.
Therein lies your first problem. Whole grain brad is going to taste like cardboard regardless. It's disgusting stuff.

If you want to try a quick bread (like scones, or soda bread) before attempting a yeasted loaf, give it a shot. It really isn't hard at all.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Just call insomnia cookies dude. They deliver.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'm guessing that the Japanese sushi egg thing where they add a boatload of sugar is horrifying too?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

teenytinymouse posted:

Tried a recipe for rough puff when I have zero pastry experience and it melted to sludge on top of a really nice chicken and ham pie filling. Don't even know enough to know what bit of it I hosed up.

Post the recipe? It's likely it was a poo poo recipe. That happens a lot.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Not mine but a friend. Her boyfriend is Italian, and makes great lasagne. K---- has MS so her feet aren't the greatest at the best of times. Suffice it to say that "accident prone" is a stunning understatement. Anyway. lasagne is bubbling away, and K is starving at this point. She goes to sneak some from the oven. Pulls out the oven tray. Decides to take a tiny taste. Puts it in her mouth.

The searing hot cheese hit the roof of her mouth, and the pain was so blinding that it triggered the sciatic nerve to spaz out. She passed out. Not by falling over backwards. No no. By falling over face first. Into the molten hot lasagne. So if the burns in the mouth weren't bad enough, they didn't hold a candle (or in this case, a noodle) to the horrible burns all over her face and neck and such.

She was in hospital for like a week.

EDIT: The nurse at the burn centre had NEVER heard of such a thing happening before. By the end of the evening, the entire ward was calling her "lasagne girl". When she was recovered, and wearing her favourite shade of lipstick again (burnt orange, by the by), her dad had t-shirts made. "I know the story of lasagne girl."

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Oh, she's back to her fabulous self again. But dear god that was a loving story for the ages. The amount of pain that she went through was horror story levels.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Again, not mine but reporting in on friends.

A---- is a delightful lady. She is funny, and smart, and loves to bake. D----- (not me, another dude whose name starts with D) and J------ are brother and sister, and live right around the corner from A---. All three decided that we've got to get together for dinner and drinks and maybe a few rounds of cards. Cool no problem. D--- loves loves LOVES to cook. So he's like "I've got dinner sorted. Just bring yourselves, and we will relax and have a good time." But J--- was like, "Yeah, but I love A--'s cake so much what if she brought some." A--- was only too happy to oblige.

Here's the thing about A---. She's a delight and I love her but damned if she's not at least an hour late for any thing you do. All of us are very aware of this tendency, so we tend to make plans in such a way that being a bit late isn't going to impact anything essential. 20 minutes before the start (I arrived a half hour early, because I hate being late, and the uber hit ZERO traffic on the way there), A-- calls J--'s cell phone. J-- is currently mopping down the floors, and asks me to answer it. OK.

"Dino, I just finished cooking at my friend's house (her friend lives in the building right next to D---'s building). Can you please just meet me downstairs, and take the cake up to the fridge to set at D--'s house? I need to go back to my house and change."

I agree, and all seems well.

All was not well. I got to the lobby, and she had the cake on a corelle ware plate. If this were an Indian dinner plate, it'd have a rim, and we'd be fine. This one doesn't have a rim. Why is that important? She wanted to make a ganache to go around the cake to make it more chocolatey. However, the ganache hadn't set yet. It was full on liquid. That was POURED UP TO THE VERY EDGE OF THE GODDAMNED PLATE. Also, there was no cling film or anything on it to keep it all contained. Also the lobby had security guards at the front desk who were giving me death glares as I'm crossing with this precarious plate of stuff that looks like it's gonna leave a stain on the nice white tiles. And what do I hear as I'm about 1/3 of the way down the hallway on the way to the lift? A couple with their three loud-rear end rambunctious kids enters the building. At this point, I was like "gently caress this, I'm booking it" and walked as fast as I could. This building has 4 lifts that service it, so when you hit a button, you're getting onto one fairly quickly.

DING.

Lift arrives. Door opens. I still hear the shouting of the little wretches coming up the hallway. I smash the "door close" button. "Going up." Thank gently caress. The only casualty was my shorts, which I didn't notice till I got home.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Current boyfriend is a popcorn lover. He won't eat it at movies (too distracting, wants to see the movie), or generally make any on his own, but if it's there, he will loving go to /town/. And it's not like he's a compulsive eater. He'll eat like a handful of pretzels without issue. He'll eat his portion of dinner (which, to be fair, is large) and he's good. But popcorn? Hungry or not, my guy will go in on that fucker.

I have one of those microwave silicon popcorn making thingies. You add the fat, the popcorn, the flavacol (don't judge), and whatever seasonings you like. I did a bit of flavacol (seriously, stop judging), some nutritional yeast, and salt. I generally do it this way, because I am a salt fiend. I like things salty. Unfortunately, I was too busy making moon calf eyes at the boyfriend's adorable dimples that show up every time he smiles (and his drat smiles light up a room), and he was currently laughing at something I said, so dimples galore. First of all, the flavacol is salty to begin with. Then I add salt on top of that. But I was mildly distracted, and added like double the amount of salt I'd normally put FOR MY SALT LOVING SELF.

Jesus that was a salty batch. But apparently we were either drunk, or I met my salt equivalent, because we went loving /in/ on that batch. He even asked me what the hell I did to make it so good (RE: Flavacol, not the salt). I showed him, and his mind was opened to the lovely possibilities.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

For many years now I've wanted to buy flavacol for my popcorn. I was putting it off while I was a graduate student making no money, because I decided it would be something to splurge on if I got a job after grad school. Then I did get a job but it turns out it's a job in India, and I live in India now, and there is no flavacol for sale in India. So now I tell myself that I'll buy it if I ever move back to America. I just hope America still exists in the future and that flavacol is still for sale. I have waited so long...

Babe? Amazon has an Indian site:

https://www.amazon.in/GOLD-MEDAL-991109-FLAVACOL-2045/dp/B004W8LT10/

It's like $35, but you could well have it in your life right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Nobody needs radishes that badly. Just loving leave them out. You’re not making some kind of monument to the gods. It’s a goddamned salad. Relax. It’ll be fine. If it were me, I’d have left out the radishes to begin with, and just doubled the black beans or whatever.