Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
When I was a child my dad and I decided to make a pizza from scratchish. The dough was pre made, but in had to be kneeded. I was tasked with kneeding the dough. I kept coating it and the counter with flour, but the dough just kept getting stickier and wetter. I had no idea what was happening so I just kept adding more. Turns out that my dad kept the large unlabeled mason jar of flour right next to the big unlabeled mason jar of powdered sugar. Pizza ended up tasting fine.

It was really a good thing, because now, when I'm cooking in anyone else's kitchen, before I add an ingredient I taste it, and then call a friend over to taste it too. I now label every single ingredient I have as well.

Another time I was following a really bad recipe for chicken korma. I should have known that it was a bad recipe, since it had poor measurements, and most of the instructions were "Just throw this in that" which as you know doesn't usually work well with creamy dishes. I ended up wasting some good chicken and like 4 million red onions. I know how to do it right now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Doh004 posted:

I'm sorry but who the hell tasks a 12 year old with deep frying chicken?

'Murricams. That's actually why we have children. To do things we don't want to do.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

jadebullet posted:

I have two.

The first, I was making apple pie for the first time. I had the recipe up on my computer, and I was rushing back and forth looking at the ingredients list like an idiot. Anyway, I accidentally created a cinnamon challenge pie when I added 1/3 cup of cinnamon rather than 1/3 teaspoon. The reason. Another ingredient used 1/3 of a cup and the fraction and measurement size were separated from each other by a black line and I didn't pay enough attention.

The second was today. I decided to surprise my fiance with some cupcakes when she gets home. Anyway, I made a nice peanut butter cupcake for the bottom and made frosting for the first time, deciding on a grape frosting. So I whipped up some frosting as per the recipe, and took some fresh red grapes, diced them real small, and boiled them down in a pot with some lovely sweet wine, before adding the very hot grape mixture directly into the frosting which immediately melted. It is still frosting, and the cupcakes still taste delicious, but they are a runny sticky mess, despite the mixture spending time in the fridge for several hours before I put it on the cupcakes.

I feel like you should have noticed that the cinnamon level was off when you started opening your fourth bottle of cinnamon...

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

On the topic of exploding glass

One of my friends back in highschool was preheating my oven to make pizza, but he didn't check the oven first, so he didn't know that there was a pyrex dish in there.

When he opened the oven and saw the dish, he thought "Oh no, I have to cool this off!"

So he gets the sink running with cold water, and puts it in. It of course explodes into glass shards everywhere.

He had no idea about the laws of thermodynamics. He was also a big time jerkass in general.

He wouldn't even clean it up after. He said it wasn't his fault because he had no way of knowing that it would explode.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Don't try to use baking soda to neutralize a too-acidic curry, no matter what the internet says. There goes my dinner...

But everything I know about papier mache volcanoes says that mixing acids with bases is a great idea!

Teacher wouldn't lie.