Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One time I made chicken and dumplings using the recipe given to me by the down home deeply Southern aunt of the girl I was dating at the time. Ingredients? Bone-in chicken legs, Annie's frozen dumplings, water, chicken bouillon. Basically you add the dumplings into the stock you boiled the chicken legs in and cook the hell out of them until they turn into doughy mush. This results in a lot of reduction so you need to add some water to compensate. The first time I made this, I forgot that step and had added enough bouillon to taste pre-reduction. This resulted in an inedibly salty viscous chicken slop. Oh well!

EDIT: Oh yeah and the day I learned this recipe from her was Thanksgiving. For this Thanksgiving, I brought a mac and cheese I made following Alton Brown's recipe. At this point in time I didn't understand the concept of what it means when a sauce "breaks" - the entire dish was broken and it was an oily, disgusting mess. Being the Southerners-with-Midwestern-level-adventurous-cuisines, it was still a huge hit with them.

Batting 0/2!

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just remembered this pasta dish I made a couple years back that called for the addition of some corn starch to thicken up the sauce. Well I had zero experience using corn starch and ended up adding probably three to five times the amount it requested. The sauce turned into this gummy, semi-liquid paste. We still ate it and it was actually pretty good but the roommate of the girl I was dating at the time politely picked at his (even though he asked if he could have some).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Disco Salmon posted:

Yup....if I am going to break down and have it, then I am having a REALLY bad day. It has to be blue box (never ever any other kind) with Oscar Meyer hotdogs (the cheapy kind with lips etc) cut up and tossed in the mix. So awful for you but for me, sometimes I just need that comfort feeling. My husband just looks at me with a look of disgust when I do this but, sometimes every once in a while you need that crappy food from your childhood, like chicken nuggets etc.

My comfort food is almost exactly the same, but I use andouille sausage that I briefly fry (or sometimes, if I'm EXTRA lazy, microwave) slices of instead of hot dogs, and I pour a shitload of red pepper flakes over it. The most comforting of comfort food.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I am guilty of all manner of food horrors in the name of personal taste, so I'm not judging, but: am I reading this correctly that you wanted to add sugar to orange soda?

I'm hoping, hoping that it was a homemade orange soda that wasn't sufficiently sweetened or something, versus adding sugar to commercially available orange soda, which is already one of the sweetest fuckin' things you can buy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

I lived! And they were pretty drat tasty, actually.

I'm sure I'll find another way to gamble with food disiasters this week. Sorry for crapping up the thread with a non-story.

Really though, get a food thermometer.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SageNytell posted:

Got one!

I have a severe dairy allergy, so I've been looking a lot more at vegan recipes for baking so that I don't need to modify anything.

I have an office holiday party tomorrow, so I decided to make snickerdoodles! Never made them before, but how hard could it be?

Didn't think to check to see if cooking with olive oil would be different than extra virgin olive oil... so now I have extra virgin olive oil and cinnamon flavored pancake cookies. :doh:

That actually doesn't sound halfway bad. I'd try one.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

twit666 posted:

You need a really good hood and open windows if you're going to make pepper oil. That poo poo throws off some really intense smoke. Had to sit on the front stairs and drink beer for two hours before we could go back in. I'm just buying it from now on.

I made habanero oil a few months ago and just kept the heat rather low (barely a low simmer) for probably a half hour, as I've learned my lesson multiple times about cooking hot peppers at high temps...worked a charm, it's spicy as hell, and didn't gas anyone out.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not my cockup, but I had so much dripping from the 22 lb. turkey I roasted for Thanksgiving I didn't even need to add any broth to make my gravy. Make my roux, pour in the drippings (Cuisipro fat separator is a godsend, seriously), stir stir stir. Ask my sister-in-law to stir while I'm carving the turkey...she gets impatient waiting for it to reduce and thicken and adds a cornstarch slurry. Like, a lot of it. Instant inedible gravy gloop. I didn't realize it until I went to pour some from the gravy boat and it kinda...fell onto my plate in individual globs. I was a very unhappy camper...not asking for her (extremely basic, low-effort) help any more.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rythe posted:

I found out my best friend makes her turkey gravy by taking the drippings and stirring flour into it and straining out the lumps. I banned her, in her own house from making gravy and did a quick lesson on what the hell a roux is and how important that concept is to everything. I'll blow her mind with a corn starch slurry next.

What I really should have done after I poured everything into my fat separator would be to remove the top, spoon out a couple tablespoons of turkey fat, and make my roux with that instead of the butter I used.

Luckily, we picked up an extra 15-pounder for 9 dollars the day before Thanksgiving that's living in my freezer right now so I'll have the chance to try that out before long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I fermented rubharb for a year. Don't recommend it. Short term is fine.

Uh...on purpose??