Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

For those that live in Ohio, particularly around or in Cuyahoga or Lorain County up near Cleveland, you must check out Sandy Ridge Reservation in North Ridgeville. http://metroparks.cc/sandy_ridge_reservation.php

It is a huge wetland nature preserve that attracts a ton of birds. I was talking with the park manager today and he was telling me about how in May he hosts a 'bird-off' for local charities. He said last year from their one observation mound he spotted 80 species in 12 hours.

There wasn't too much activity today. A few egrets, blue herons, and a whole bunch of kingfishers diving like crazy. They have a bald eagle nest on their grounds that fledged two eaglets this year but sadly neither they or their parents were around today.

They have a very large wooded area as well and in the evening owls are hooting everywhere though I've yet to spot one. I'm hoping I will have better luck in the fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Posted in the Critterquest thread, but I figured the birding thread would enjoy it too.

A piebald American Robin that lives outside my apartment complex. Unfortunately only had my phone camera on me at the time, hence the less than stellar quality.