Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I just saw a new (to me) bird and I've done a little research to try and name it. I have concluded that it was likely a Golden Eagle or a Juvenile Bald Eagle, but both of these species don't stay as far south as Ithaca, NY in the summer according to those links!

I have seen this bird a couple of times but they are very brief spots, so it is tough to distinguish it visually. And it hasn't made any noise. What are some more advanced methods I could use to differentiate between these two species?

It seems like I should be able to rule out (or not) a juvenile species based on the time of year, but I am not sure where to go for a source on that kind of information.

Edit: I got a good look at its belly and I think there was too much white for it to be a golden eagle based on this information. Neat!

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I'm pretty new to birding but I know enough that I am certain that I didn't just see Erithacus rubecula on a powerline in Austin TX, even though it really, really looked like one. Can y'all think of any other guesses for a sparrow-sized bird with a bright orange neck? Merlin suggested a Ash-Throated Flycatcher (too big for what I saw) and a Barn Swallow (my bird wasn't dark enough or sleek enough to be a swallow).

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

House finches can be orange, so that would be my guess. Maybe check out some of the oriole plumages and black-headed grosbeak variants too. Do you have a pic?

The House Finch looks like a pretty perfect match. When my wife gets home I'm going to give her a lineup of all y'alls suggestions and see if she agrees.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I'd never seen this before and thought you guys might get a kick out of this imgur album: http://imgur.com/gallery/N1tki

I can't post the pictures here because they're insanely large, but apparently birds know how to make lil cottages out of broad-leafed plants?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Merlin is another app from the Cornell Lab that is focused on bird identification. I've had a lot of success with it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Any idea what these nightmarish sounds might be coming from? I honestly don't have the first idea. Sometimes they sounded almost duck-like so I thought they might be waterfowl? They've been doing this for like 15 minutes back and forth non-stop and at first I thought I might be overhearing a murder but then they just. kept. doing. this.

https://i.imgur.com/lLm5JEC.mp4

Edit: Sorry I got distracted by trying to figure out how to embed the mp4 and forgot to add any context: I live in Austin TX near a small usually-dry creek and some wide open nature space with always-running creeks. And there's wild guinea fowl in the neighborhood that seem like they might be able to make this sound, but I haven't heard them do it before.

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 6, 2020

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a mammal because the sounds never got into like the "EE" or "errrr" noises that mammals make.

Though I've never seen them in my neighborhood, I think "Little Blue Heron" is correct. The first audio sample on all about birds matches the sound and also the regular cadence they were doing. Thank you for the identification help!

I've seen Yellow Crowned Night Herons around here a few times so it wouldn't be too surprising for there to be Little Blue Herons too. Neat!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Is this an Eastern Phoebe?

The light "eye-stripe" in the top right picture is just a highlight, it didn't have a lighter stripe in real life. I saw it this afternoon in central Texas. It was sitting on a fence and flitting off to quickly grab something and then it would come back to the fence for 30 seconds or so, and then repeat. It seemed like it might have been trying to grab flying bugs or maybe bugs off of the side of my neighbor's house, but it was very quick so I can't be sure.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The only thing that's odd about those (aside from the stripe above the eye) is that I'm used to phoebes having more of a squat, puffball shape. That's exactly their behavior though. They love to sit on the posts in my neighbor's yard, pump their tails, and frequently hop into the air to grab an insect before returning to the same post.

I run into this a lot when I'm trying to identify things down here, and I'm never really sure if it is a species difference, or it is just the simple fact that it was 75 degrees outside yesterday so it didn't need to be all puffed up to stay warm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

If I remember correctly Cardinals are one of the few (maybe only?) kinds of birds that will feed their adult partner so maybe cardinals in particular are just big softies.

I kinda dislike them because they make so many different noises constantly but maybe I should pay more attention to them being comrades and try to appreciate them more.