Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I traveled all over with binoculars, both in checked baggage and as carry-on. No one ever mentioned it to me at security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Kawalimus posted:

If I go to Texas(the right part anyway) I want to see a GREEN JAY!!! Among many others of course.

When I went there the first time, I was so excited to see the Green Jays and was taking pics like crazy. The local birders pretty much treat them like pigeons and were much more excited by a Lincoln's Sparrow nearby.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

razz posted:

The first thing that came to my mind before I even saw you guess Snow Bunting was Snow Bunting. But honestly there's no way to know for sure. The time of year and range seems correct for Snow Bunting.

Same here. The only other small, mostly white birds I can think of would be shorebirds.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I'm spending 4 days birding in the Rio Grande Valley at the very southern tip of Texas. I was here for a day about 5 years ago and I always wanted to return. I hit a couple of "World Birding Center" spots today and bagged 6 lifers already! None of those are even uncommon birds around here.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Amazon Kingfisher wasn't day 1, stop 1 for you? I would love to visit that area sometime. I worked a week in San Antonio when I first started birding and had a free weekend, but pissed it away because I didn't really know where to go or what to look for. I think my lifers were Field Sparrow and Orange-Crowned Warbler, which is especially laughable since I get them every year in my yard now that I know to check my Hawthorne tree every day in May.

Oh, I got the Amazon Kingfisher but it wasn't a life bird for me. :smug: But seriously, I saw some in Mexico about 5 years ago but it was cool to see the 2nd reported US bird.

There is a little city park here in Brownsville, basketball courts, picnic area, swimming pool, etc..., totally ordinary. Every evening around sunset a raucous racket is heard in the sky and a flock of over 100 parrots descends to roost for the night. I was there for it tonight and it was quite a show. The only "list" parrot is the Red-crowned and they made up the majority of the flock. In addition, there were about a dozen Red-lored and 4 Yellow-headed Parrots. There are supposedly Lilac-crowned and White-fronted parrots in there too but I didn't see or recognize any. Also there was one Rose-ringed Parakeet flying around with them. The oddballs are probably escapees but it was fun to see them anyway.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I felt like that when I first saw Pygmy owls in Mexico.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Congrats on the lifer! The other day I drove up next to this Summer Tanger who, I guess, was so tired from crossing the Gulf that he didn't want to leave his warm roadside.

The warbler fallout missed my part of Florida so I mostly saw regular old birds. Breeding plumage Great Blue Herons are something I'll never get tired of however.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Linedance posted:

You're thinking of European house sparrows (which are invasive in North America.) They're cute but kind of annoying and bully other birds.

They do a lot more than bully! They invade our native bluebirds nests and murder anything inside. They don't eat the chicks, they just kill them so they can use the nest.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Worse than than, chipmunks have been observed to attack songirds at feeders and eat their brains. They'll eat mouse brains too. This created quite a fuss at a nature center I used to frequent in Delaware until the naturalist assured everyone that it's normal behavior and they are not zombie chipmunks.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

The examples of birds in flight and from different angles makes the new Sibley's worth the upgrade imo.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I love cats. I have one who never leaves the house. People around here don't understand why I am so opposed to the "spay/neuter and release" program they are trying to push on the county. Such a disaster for native wildlife. We have enough invasives in Florida as it is.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I'm doing a count next weekend here in the Florida panhandle. Weather should be OK and I'm doing a very under-birded area so I'm looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I just moved to Chicago a few months ago and it finally feels like spring so I did a little birding at a nearby park. I was shocked when a flock of parakeets burst out overhead, but I guess I shouldn't have been since it seems Monk Parakeets are a normal thing in The Windy City. Also I finally got to see some Wood Ducks who were not either hiding in the shadows or flying away at top speed.