Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Phasianids are awesome. They're a cautionary tale for what happens if sexual selection runs amok.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone had any trouble with binoculars at airports? I've got a pair that I'd like to bring in to the States from abroad, and I'm not sure whether they'd be better off in hand luggage or in a suitcase - or in neither. I'm coming in from the Middle East so I always get randomly chosen for searching. Are binoculars suspicious? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

The link says that it's bait for peregrine falcons. Probably left by a farmer or a hunter, they tend to see raptors as pests.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Don't raptors eat mice which actually are pests to their crops?

Peregrines prefer to hunt birds, but the impact they have on game/domestic birds is negligible and overexaggerated by people. Hawks hunt mammals, which is why they weren't hit as hard as falcons and accipiters.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Anyone have any good experiences owling? It sounded like a terrible hazing ritual at first - midnight, cold, rainy, nothing in sight - but somehow it all feels justified when you finally see (and hear) that screech owl. So worth it.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Owl Prowl seems to be the correct term where I am, but I've heard both that and owling. The important thing is seeing owls!

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Tangentially related, but this upcoming Lego set should be of interest to bird nerds (x-post from Lego thread).

ixnay posted:

The Birds idea set is already revealed. $45, 580 pieces, comes out in January as a set with 3 birds:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Linedance posted:

East coast birding is feast or famine, mostly the latter. West Coast maybe gets less species through in migration, but is steady year round.

What's Florida birding like? I was looking through the Sibley app in anticipation of my move, and it looks like they have just about every invasive imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Cowbirds are awesome. I got to see one peering intently at another bird's nest, going for it as soon as the parent left, and being chased off loudly.

There's all sorts of ecological and evolutionary interactions at work too. The mafia hypothesis was already mentioned, but did you know that they are nest parasites because they coevolved with bison? They used to follow the migrating bison herds, and since they couldn't settle down, they'd parasitize a nest and keep going. But we all but hunted the bison into extinction, leading cowbirds to follow cows instead (hence the name). Cows don't go anywhere though, so the cowbirds end up overparasitizing the area.

Even worse for the cowbirds, they will also parasitize house finch nests. House finches were introduced to the East (good job, us) and are not typical cowbird hosts. This is because they feed their young seeds, whereas cowbirds need insect food. Any cowbird chick unfortunate enough to hatch in a house finch nest is stuffed with seeds until it dies. And then, of course, the cowbird retaliates...

In short, humans (not cowbirds) are assholes.