Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Another mystery: can you guys help me identify this bird? Seen near Osoyoos, British Columbia.

My best guess is a purple finch, but :shrug: I'm just on vacation here, so all the birds are unfamiliar to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

House Finch

Seems unanimous, thanks all!

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

My guess would be a bellbird! http://www.nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/bellbird

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Hi thread, an identification question for you! I was walking along Venice Beach in LA yesterday and this little guy landed in the sand:

After failing to find anything like it in my bird guide, I thought it may be an escaped canary. Any ideas?

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

How big is it? Can't tell the scale from that photo.

It was about canary-sized :cheeky:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

orange breasted waxbill? female/juvenile?

I think you're right! It's probably a juvenile since, from my online research, the females have some barring along the flanks. Poor baby, I feel like poo poo now for just leaving it in the sand :( Had no idea it wasn't native until I looked at the photos later.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask some ID questions. All from western Washington, the first three from Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR if that helps.

This guy was quite small, is it a Cooper's or Sharp-shinned?

I'm thinking goldfinches, but the black eyestripe in the lower middle is throwing me.

Sorry for the crappy photo, but could it be a Eurasian Wigeon?

Seemed too big for a Bushtit.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Thanks for the IDs! :lovebird:

distortion park posted:

I looked at loads of pictures of all sorts of finches until I looked more closely at the original one - that black eyestripe is actually a bud on a twig, not part of the bird. So American Goldfinch seems safe.
:cripes:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Eurasian Wigeon will almost always be in the presence of lots of American Wigeons. Generally if you find a group of 50+ Wigeon in this area you can usually find a Eurasian in the mix.
There were hundreds of American Wigeons at the NWR, but this guy was by himself (and his girlfriend). Didn't see any that looked obviously different.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Townsend’s Solitare, a member of the thrush family. Size between bluebird and mockingbird with the little eye ring. Don’t know if you are in range year round but they sometimes get pushed out of their normal spots in the winter.
Oh cool! Staring idly out the window instead of working pays off.