Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yes! I found a birding thread.

I was going to start one but I suppose this can be a general birding thread for everyone. I am newly a bird enthusiast and I live in Connecticut (a terrific place for it), so I'm glad to join the community here.

I have befriended a mourning dove at my apartment complex, it seems - I've seen all the usual birds around my courtyard/at my feeder, including the doves, cardinals, blue jays, sparrows, downy woodpeckers, starlings, robins, tufted titmice (rare but it's happened), house finches, chickadees, juncos, etc.

EDIT: There is plenty of camera talk that I missed a couple of pages back, sorry.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Thanks, guys!

It's still overwhelming figuring out a camera situation. I want to take really good pictures, so I know it will be something to save for. I'm glad I have this thread.

Is anyone local to Connecticut here?

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 28, 2021

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

As a bird and wildlife photographer, it's fun, but I would invest in a nice pair of 8x42 binoculars before I'd invest in a camera for bird photography. Because they're often small and far away and active in low light, it's hard to get decent shots with a point-and-shoot. A decent enough DSLR body can be found for under $300 used, but you're still going to need a big telephoto lens that'll cost at least that much (mine is considered "entry level" and was $900 new). It's not that you can't snap pictures with less, but just that you'll probably be disappointed with the results and having some really sick bins will make your life so much better.

I have a pair of 10x42 waterproof binoculars and they're fun to use already, so I know what you mean, and I appreciate the honesty about the difficulties of getting good bird shots when they're fluttering around in sunlight. The camera will be something I save up for, maybe an end-of-the-year type thing, and in the meantime, I'll just start observing more and getting good with my birding instincts.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Great advice all around. Much appreciated. I don't need to take award winning photos, I just want to be able to document what I'm seeing where it doesn't look blurry or grainy (ie not a phone camera from far away). I am more interested in observing and taking the occasional picture, much more for personal use than to show the world my mad skills.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think camera budget will come much later. Just doing a touch and go on what a decent camera will cost me.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm not sure how to upload images from my computer on here, but I just saw a bird outside on my ledge eating some seed and I don't know what it is - it basically looks like it could be a type of vireo or warbler. It has a white breast and belly and white around it's beady black eyes, but it is black running from nose through the top of it's head to the neck, and it's feathers are alternating gray and black. It has a pretty long thin beak.

It basically looks like a Bell's Vireo except, like I mentioned, it has the jet black stripe on the top of it's head.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Maybe white-breasted nuthatch?

That's it! Thanks!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Is there a good way to keep suet cool in summer? I was thinking to refrigerate it overnight every night and put it in a shaded area, but 90 degree days might quickly dispose of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I don't really know, but I don't see why you couldn't freeze it and/or rotate through a couple of allotments that you change out mid-day (assuming you are home to do that).

I don't know where you are but if you are northern hemisphere then you could probably forget the suet entirely this time of year. If it's that warm there should be plenty of insects around.

I'm in Connecticut. Changing it out mid-day seems like too much work for very little necessity, since I can feed birds various other things they'd enjoy without needing to do that, or without having it melt and drip. I think I might do suet only when the weather gets colder.