Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Deteriorata posted:

Looks like the only way to automate it is via page scrapes. If you go over to "Teams" you can create a URL with the team number and then increment the index for the stat you want. Download the whole page, pull out the numbers of interest, then download the next one.

It's still going to be incredibly slow to get 125 teams x 6 or 8 pages per team.

In 'Misc Reports' there is a WLT report that has all the teams on the same page. Also Toughest Schedule is there (not filled yet)

Also if you go to 'Trends' then sort by Institution, you can get all the teams on the same page, but you still have to choose the stat category you want.

Its not great but you might be able to get what you need after a few copy and pastes. Some schedule specific algos could still be hosed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, that works if all you care about are wins and losses, but if you're trying to evaluate on stats there doesn't seem to be any recourse but scraping.

I was thinking about resurrecting mine, but at this point I would have to rewrite it completely so I'm probably not going to.

Trends is the stats page. They're not all on ONE page but its not as ridiculous as going through all 110 teams or whatever.
It also copies fine into notepad for easy delimiting too.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mukaikubo posted:

Update: They removed the part where they claim results will be in that csv file too. So it's official. Unless something changes in the next few weeks, no moon poll from me this year, I really don't want to figure out another parsing method for another data tool after the assache getting this one down was. :(

They also removed their 'Trend' page from the current stats page, those fuckers. I just built a read in function for that poo poo too.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Captain von Trapp posted:

Ok, this is usable. It's formatted in a kind of screwball way, so I'll actually have to read in three separate files: the one that associates team names with team numbers, the one that associates team numbers with game codes, and the one that associates game codes with game scores.

But it's CSV, which is at least vastly easier to do than trying to write some website scraper. If there's interest, I can try to whip up some code to convert the cfbstats.com file to the old NCAA CSV format.

I found most of the stats I want in team-game-statistics, but where are the W-L records or game scores? It'd be nice to not have to compile them from the game statistics or however you could retrieve them.

Even with team-game-statistics, I'd like to have the aggregate over the season, which isn't bad to do but still.

• Locked thread