Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Paracelsus posted:

Or Negi was the donor for a lesbian couple with whom he had a close relationship; that's not unheard of in the real world, and would explain both how Negi could be his grandfather and how his name was Konoe.

Seeing Eva all grown up and responsible was rather :3:, although it was sad to see her have to leave even Chachazero behind. And drat, Kaede got taaaaall.

...or Negi's kid was a girl who married a male Konoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Or Negi was the donor for a lesbian couple with whom he had a close relationship; that's not unheard of in the real world, and would explain both how Negi could be his grandfather and how his name was Konoe.

That makes a ton of sense, haha. I would have never thought of it though, I don't expect to see things like that show up in manga.

^^^That makes sense too, actually.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Seeing Eva all grown up and responsible was rather :3:, although it was sad to see her have to leave even Chachazero behind. And drat, Kaede got taaaaall.

Oh poo poo, Kaede is back? She was one of my favorite characters in the series, after Chisame, and consistently had some incredible fights.

I can't wait to get home and give this a read.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Angry Grimace posted:

...or Negi's kid was a girl who married a male Konoe.
That's also possible, but the graves are for Negi and two Konoes, with no obvious signs of a wife for Negi.

Edit: As an addendum, there's another issue: two girls -> no Y chromosome -> no male offspring without extensive genetic engineering.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 26, 2013

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

chumbler posted:

Oh poo poo, Kaede is back? She was one of my favorite characters in the series, after Chisame, and consistently had some incredible fights.

I can't wait to get home and give this a read.

If we're talking favorites, Eva was always mine, but Kaede was a close second.

I think most of all I'm really interested in where Ken goes with this now that he's more or less off his leash. If that first battle is any indication this is going to be an intense manga.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

That's also possible, but the graves are for Negi and two Konoes, with no obvious signs of a wife for Negi.

Clearly that just means Chisame's ashes were scattered all over the internet and she is memorialized on the world's most popular website, as she would have wanted :colbert:. Hell, maybe she is the internet now.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 27, 2013

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
That was an awesome opening chapter! So many questions to be answered, All I know is that I am very very glad that Eva is seemingly going to be a major character. I would love to know what happened to Negi and Co but I guess from that rather bittersweet opening that they are gone for good and that we will find out information on Negi's story over the course of the manga.

This will be a weekly series right? I don't think I want to wait for this monthly. If I remember right, Akamatsu ended up with a rather bizarre schedule towards the end of Negima's run...

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I wonder why Chachamaru(zero too) aren't with Eva. Chachamaru could be working on something related to the space elevator or Mars, but Chachazero was explicitly shown being left behind in the opening pages.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Well, I'm not going to be all cynical so I'm excited for a new story from KA. An 80 page opener is pretty incredible.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silento posted:

I wonder why Chachamaru(zero too) aren't with Eva. Chachamaru could be working on something related to the space elevator or Mars, but Chachazero was explicitly shown being left behind in the opening pages.

Well she explicitly narrates that you eventually grow bored even of those who can keep accompanying you. So she probably just abandoned chachazero. Its weird to have her be so nice and caring when she only ever was that way pretty briefly. And only with Negi/Nagi

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Well she explicitly narrates that you eventually grow bored even of those who can keep accompanying you. So she probably just abandoned chachazero. Its weird to have her be so nice and caring when she only ever was that way pretty briefly. And only with Negi/Nagi

But if I'm not remembering incorrectly, then she had Chachazero for many, many years. Why abandon her when she's your only companion left? Poor Eva. :ohdear:

I've always wondered how you pronounce Evangeline. Is it E-ven-ja-line? Evan-ja-line? Anyone know? :confused:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Silento posted:

But if I'm not remembering incorrectly, then she had Chachazero for many, many years. Why abandon her when she's your only companion left? Poor Eva. :ohdear:

I've always wondered how you pronounce Evangeline. Is it E-ven-ja-line? Evan-ja-line? Anyone know? :confused:

Well, you could always look at the kata to give you a clue. I believe it's Ee-van-je-leen.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Silento posted:

Somebody has to watch the villa. :v:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Huh. Pretty good first chapter. Glad to see Ken not doing a harem story. Evangeline's new form is growing on me, too. I kinda like it. Sure can't wait for questions to be answered; all he's done so far is raise several more in this universe. Dammit, Ken, you better not blueball us again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That was a hell of a first chapter. I like that he wastes basically no time in getting to this poo poo is real. We are not in gently caress around town any more, son. I just hope that he keeps Eva relevant, though given that he's shown she can lose, that seems probable.

This has definitely rocketed straight to the top of the updates I look forward to each week. It's still kinda weird to think that the guy who wrote Love Hina is so good at battle manga.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Love Hina had hints of it all the time though, especially in the final arcs. Akumatsu just finally got freedom to go full crazy with it in volume 3 of Negima and has never stopped since.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Only read the first few chapters of Negima, but I think I'll be following this. In some ways it was a pretty typical battle manga first chapter, complete with a villain who will never appear again, exists to show off the main character's powers for the first time, and defeats a character who will probably later be revealed to be far too strong to have plausibly lost like that (compare Fishbone D in Bleach, Mizuki in Naruto, and Lord of the Coast in One Piece). The vampire angle is kind of interesting, though; the main character has the potential to end up pretty miserable, as cheerful as he is so far. I laughed at the way something that was set up as the main character's goal turned out to be completely unimportant; I was expecting a Tower of God type thing and suddenly "nah, it's just a fancy elevator." It was a good decision too; Tower of God works because it's a quasi-metaphor for hyper-competitive modern society, but if you had something like the Tower in a story literally set in the modern world a couple years in the future, it would feel out of place.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Silver2195 posted:

Only read the first few chapters of Negima, but I think I'll be following this. In some ways it was a pretty typical battle manga first chapter, complete with a villain who will never appear again, exists to show off the main character's powers for the first time, and defeats a character who will probably later be revealed to be far too strong to have plausibly lost like that (compare Fishbone D in Bleach, Mizuki in Naruto, and Lord of the Coast in One Piece). The vampire angle is kind of interesting, though; the main character has the potential to end up pretty miserable, as cheerful as he is so far. I laughed at the way something that was set up as the main character's goal turned out to be completely unimportant; I was expecting a Tower of God type thing and suddenly "nah, it's just a fancy elevator." It was a good decision too; Tower of God works because it's a quasi-metaphor for hyper-competitive modern society, but if you had something like the Tower in a story literally set in the modern world a couple years in the future, it would feel out of place.

Both Evangeline and the tower are from Negima, so the elevator reveal wasn't much to me. I hadn't really thought about what it would be like to someone who hadn't read Negima. Speaking of which, Evangeline seems to have really mellowed in her old age.

But in regards to your other point (minor Negima spoilers) Evangeline is established to be pretty crazy powerful, so I expect it will turn out that she only lost because of the bracelet, yeah.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Bremen posted:

But in regards to your other point (minor Negima spoilers) Evangeline is established to be pretty crazy powerful, so I expect it will turn out that she only lost because of the bracelet, yeah.
More Negima spoilers She knew what it was, it even looks the same as the power restriction spell Negi used before, and she's personally had a lot of experienced at being magically depowered. I am somewhat curious about what being a "vampire" entails though, she was originally just a experiment by the Lifemaker that had standard vampire weaknesses in exchange for immortality, she just overcame all that later with lots of magic. If the same thing happened to Touta, he's going to be stuck as a little boy forever too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We also should remember that, despite being a super powerful being and extremely competent at even depowered combat, Eva got trapped in a middle school for years and was bested by a (gifted, but still inexperienced and combat-weak) ten year old mage. She might be strong, but she's not invincible. Plus, who knows what her motivations are at this point?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Clearly ChachaZero is already in Tokyo, she's sitting in the toy museum from Toy Story 2, telling visiting children to stab their friends, stab their family members, stab anyone really. ChachaZero, a toy for all ages :3:

e:
VVVVVVV
Her I'm less worried about. Not that I don't love Chachamaru, but she's probably safely operating elevators or whatever.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 27, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm most interested in what happened to Chachamaru. As a robot, she's also an immortal being, right? Did she find a new purpose in life after Negi passed away? Or did she self-terminate due to grief? :ohdear:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

We also should remember that, despite being a super powerful being and extremely competent at even depowered combat, Eva got trapped in a middle school for years and was bested by a (gifted, but still inexperienced and combat-weak) ten year old mage. She might be strong, but she's not invincible. Plus, who knows what her motivations are at this point?

Eva went super easy on Negi. He just interested her enough to make her want to stay. This is even mentioned off hand a few times.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Clearly ChachaZero is already in Tokyo, she's sitting in the toy museum from Toy Story 2, telling visiting children to stab their friends, stab their family members, stab anyone really. ChachaZero, a toy for all ages :3:

Chacazero is sitting lifeless on a shelf in page 29 :(

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

A straight up Ken Akamatsu battle manga? :allears: Can't wait to see what we learn about Negi, his students, and their legacy. Hell, maybe he'll even drop some hints as to how the poo poo ending in Negima was actually supposed to go.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
If the actual fights start at the level of the Rakan fight and only go up from there, it will probably be an amazing battle series. I'm wondering what could have possibly killed Negi though; isn't he a vampire like Eva already due to Magia Erebrea, with the whole "being diced is no big deal" thing? Or maybe they just faked his death and he's off doing Negi things or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Goddamn, but that is a whole lot of characters with swords.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

That's the one thing that kind of concerns me at the moment. Negima had plenty of variety in how characters fought, but like more than half have swords this time. I trust it will still be interesting, but it does kind of make me raise an eyebrow. I also find it kind of interesting that there are like 3-4 arguably ambiguously gendered characters in the splash pages so far. And then Fate/NotFate with a baller coat.

Huh, actually now that I look again, it's 1:1 kids to adults as well.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, but there is also Mopbro, girl with a croquet mallet, and Edward Elric on the far left. Though even if there are a lot of sword battles, they'll be amazing, if Negima's fights are anything to judge by.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

chumbler posted:

That's the one thing that kind of concerns me at the moment. Negima had plenty of variety in how characters fought, but like more than half have swords this time. I trust it will still be interesting, but it does kind of make me raise an eyebrow. I also find it kind of interesting that there are like 3-4 arguably ambiguously gendered characters in the splash pages so far. And then Fate/NotFate with a baller coat.

Huh, actually now that I look again, it's 1:1 kids to adults as well.

I am not worried. We have a guy with a mop. A mop. It shall be awesome. And yeah, that coat is awesome.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Legacyspy posted:

I am not worried. We have a guy with a mop. A mop. It shall be awesome. And yeah, that coat is awesome.

It's gonna clean up the opposition for sure.

Serous
Jul 31, 2010
I wonder if this is the alternate timeline shown in Negima.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Figuring that the girl with the hair over one eye is either our protagonist's sister or his cousin. She looks pretty much exactly like what you'd expect a descendant of Konoka and Setsuna to, not least because she's carrying a sword and wearing men's clothing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Paracelsus posted:

Edit: As an addendum, there's another issue: two girls -> no Y chromosome -> no male offspring without extensive genetic engineering.

I think that's just a contrivance to not let you know who won in Negima. How Konoka and Setsuna had children, or even if its theirs (the Konoe family was apparently quite large), I don't know. Its a magic world and Setsuna's some kind of demon, so who knows.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 27, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paracelsus posted:

Seeing Eva all grown up and responsible was rather :3:
Well, let's not forget she was already 700 years old. Maybe "grown up" isn't the best way to put it.

This was pretty cool either way.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

Well, let's not forget she was already 700 years old. Maybe "grown up" isn't the best way to put it.
Aside from her physical appearance, her outlook has changed a lot. She's actually caring for and nurturing someone, instead of trolling the world for her amusement, and she seems to have a much better handle on her pride.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

CH2 reveals that Negi had 87 children

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I have the feeling that something's going to happen involving Asuna (who's presumably sealed up) and/or anyone else still around. According to Mana's epilogue she lived for 100 more years and participated in a war, so she could probably appear somewhere, and Ayaka lived for a LONG time (mostly because she was waiting for Asuna to wake up which she didn't because of oversleeping). I can see something coming up that would require Asuna being prematurely woken up (and possibly then beating the poo poo out of Eva for disrupting her beauty sleep)

That being said I kind of doubt everyone is dead because it's 2066 and technology has probably advanced to the point where people can live long, I mean, poo poo, I just said Ayaka lived for a long time and there are probably people in the magic world where time passes differently from earth's. But drat it, I still want to know about the Lifemaker thing and Arika's whereabouts, even if it has to be through a flashback like Rakan's little film about Nagi

Also I hope Yue has a role in this at some point. Part of me is thinking she holed up in the magic world after assisting with the space elevator so she could hang out with her friends from Ariadne

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 27, 2013

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Eva's return is glorious. Long live the Dark Queen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

international owl day posted:

CH2 reveals that Negi had 87 children

Checking the Negima wiki, it seems that's 3.22 kids for every harem member who isn't a robot, a close blood relative of Negi, or Evangeline/Yukihime herself (who stated that she has no other family). :catstare:

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 27, 2013

• Locked thread