Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'd say that it is very plausible. Tsukuyomi worked for Fate a long time ago, is casually murderous, and of course uses a katana. In fact, I'm pretty sure that she was the only person who ever associated with Fate to use a katana. She was only ever a hired gun, so Fate going back to his rear end in a top hat ways means she would be perfectly willing to work for him again. Tsukuyomi wasn't entirely human so she would have aged but not as much as a human, and the hair fits (not that this means much in a b&w manga).

I kind of forgot that she existed, personally. We never did find out just what her deal was, provided she even had one aside from the obvious.

Wasn't her deal was that she was human but bonded with the demon sword from Love Hina rather than resisting it, making her sort of a demon and really really crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Serious Frolicking posted:

I kind of forgot that she existed, personally. We never did find out just what her deal was, provided she even had one aside from the obvious.

She's pretty unique in that she doesn't really have a deal. Every other villain had some kind of reason for what they were doing, ranging from petty revenge to trying to avert an even greater disaster, but Tsukuyomi just really loving liked killing people. She's legitimately the most evil character in the series.

e: I mean seriously, even Negi thought she was loving nuts.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 12, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I did love the understated, almost controlled way the whole thing fell apart there, as they tried to bargain and figure out plans A, B, C, and D as it became more and more obvious that nope, they're totally boned.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I wonder, is resetting via Kirie's power and then staying the gently caress away from the spaceport not an option? Seems to me the only way they would not be completely and thoroughly hosed.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mikl posted:

I wonder, is resetting via Kirie's power and then staying the gently caress away from the spaceport not an option? Seems to me the only way they would not be completely and thoroughly hosed.

They could but what would be the point? Fate's here explicitly to either lure or capture Tota. Why would they give away their single advantage of knowing when and where he'll first appear and instead, run with no idea when he'll find them.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

Any chance I could get a size reference on that? Maybe a picture? That sounds legitimately fascinating to me.

I don't have any personally, but a google search provides:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Rogue 7 posted:

I don't have any personally, but a google search provides:

Yeesh. That bottom one looks like it's the size of a raccoon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

New chapter is up on Crunchyroll. More Fate being smug and more great fight choreography. Also another page in Kirie's thousand ways to kill herself. She is an amusingly morbid character. The way the fight ends is also pretty Love Hina/Negima. Akamatsu is so good at doing fights while still keeping comedy.

One thing that bugs me is that Kirie's whole plan is locking Fate into the underground cave, but even Touta and Kuroumaru cleared the place and got out pretty quickly, so I'm not sure why they think this will be effective at keeping Fate locked up. Unless this is a different cave. Plus he could murder everyone anyway once they go back in time. I'm sure we'll see shortly how this is probably going to backfire.

Edit: On a side note, I bought the first English volume on a whim, and it sadly doesn't have any extra things about character design or the like. Maybe later ones will?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 18, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Goddamn, I really love this cast of characters.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Fate once more continues the trend of strong characters in Negima/UQ Holder giving no fucks. Negi is the only one who actually did anything about the world's problems, Rakan, Eva, and Nagi could care less. :allears:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Who are these large men that Fate has with him? Did Fate give up on his ideal of Fate's Fighting Females™?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

chumbler posted:

One thing that bugs me is that Kirie's whole plan is locking Fate into the underground cave, but even Touta and Kuroumaru cleared the place and got out pretty quickly, so I'm not sure why they think this will be effective at keeping Fate locked up. Unless this is a different cave. Plus he could murder everyone anyway once they go back in time. I'm sure we'll see shortly how this is probably going to backfire.

Well, even if that plan doesn't take hold, they still have everybody else stationed at HQ, while Fate loses all his reinforcements. So at the very least, they get a much better position against him.

Though I just realized that only Tota, Kirie and Fate are gonna remember anything about this and everybody else is gonna be caught off guard. Whoops.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, even if that plan doesn't take hold, they still have everybody else stationed at HQ, while Fate loses all his reinforcements. So at the very least, they get a much better position against him.

Though I just realized that only Tota, Kirie and Fate are gonna remember anything about this and everybody else is gonna be caught off guard. Whoops.

Well plus there's the implication that only Eva is actually a match for him since he can chump multiple members of the numbers at once. I kind of get the feeling that what's going to happen is he'll somehow get relatively depowered because in chapter 1's spread of the characters there was at least one boy who looked an awful lot like kid Fate. That would be kind of lame though, so I hope I'm wrong.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Seems pretty likely our mysterious swordswoman is either Tsukuyomi or a relative of her, given that she both has the same demonic eyes thing going on, and has the Kansai dialect/accent.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
New chapter went up yesterday. Great fight scenes, as always.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Was it just me or did a whole bunch of crunchyroll series not show up over the past couple of days while the forums were down? :tinfoil:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Even Touta ships Negi and Fate! :allears:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
This chapter couldn't really top the ending the last one, but it was a good chapter. Fate/Touta dialog continues to be excellent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Touta's conversations with Fate make Eva look even better. She hasn't been constantly comparing him to Negi. Eva just sees him as her dumb adopted son, while Fate seems to think that anything less than Negi Mk.II is a failure.

Also, in Negima most of the adults couldn't or wouldn't step up and do what needed to be done. By contrast, UQ Holder seems to have loads of adults who don't rely on children to do everything for them. They seem to be pretty good role models, too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 26, 2014

LinktheMaster
Apr 29, 2014
I was wondering... what is everyone's opinion on this series? I've been thinking about starting to read it, but I wasn't sure because of all of the issues Akamatsu has had with his publishers (I'm worried things might happen with this series as well). I was a huge fan of Negima before it went south, so does this hold up to quality of Negima's story in the magical world arc? Also, I've heard the main character started out as... a bit annoying. :( Does he get better in that regard?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

LinktheMaster posted:

I was wondering... what is everyone's opinion on this series? I've been thinking about starting to read it, but I wasn't sure because of all of the issues Akamatsu has had with his publishers (I'm worried things might happen with this series as well). I was a huge fan of Negima before it went south, so does this hold up to quality of Negima's story in the magical world arc? Also, I've heard the main character started out as... a bit annoying. :( Does he get better in that regard?

So far it's pretty much Negima with less fanservice. I wouldn't call Touta annoying, if anything he's much less mopey than Negi was.

As to if it will have issues later on, only time will tell.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I would say my main issue with Touta is that his powers don't come through much effort.

As talented Negi was, he put a lot of effort in to be that powerful

Absum
May 28, 2013

boredsatellite posted:

I would say my main issue with Touta is that his powers don't come through much effort.

As talented Negi was, he put a lot of effort in to be that powerful

I got the impression he trained quite a lot under Eva when he was still in his village, it's just that we didn't see most of that.

I guess it hasn't been explained how he got Magia rebea though, but I'm going to wait for an explanation of that one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Absum posted:

I got the impression he trained quite a lot under Eva when he was still in his village, it's just that we didn't see most of that.

I guess it hasn't been explained how he got Magia rebea though, but I'm going to wait for an explanation of that one.

There's the whole training under Eva thing and also I think it's not at all a stretch to suspect that Touta is a reincarnation or clone of Negi or had Negi's soul jammed into him or something like that. I really doubt that Touta being a magical shounen wunderkind is going to go unexplained.

I'm overall quite happy with the series. The callbacks to, consistency with, and returning characters from Negima are well used, in that they're nice for the fans and have shown some more development since that time, but they aren't being relied on as a crutch. Eva in particular is used really well, I think. Akamatsu is still telling a new story but keeps familiar elements around.

If I had one criticism it probably would be Touta, and that's a minor one and becoming more minor each chapter. He's still a little too generic shounen protagonist for me, being basically an unimpeachably good guy and everybody's super friend, even if his explanation for being so isn't really that bad. That being said, he is still done better than most shounen protagonists in the sense that he is fairly understandable and has reasonably appropriate reactions to things (run from a bad situation where he has a chance to escape, sweating bullets against Fate instead of bravado, etc.) He needs to hang out with his mom more though, because they're a fun pair, especially with the peanut gallery around.

And of course I haven't been dissatisfied with any fights yet, and their immortality has been used fantastically.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LinktheMaster posted:

I was wondering... what is everyone's opinion on this series?

It's still very early but very, very promising.

The fights so far are easily some of the best drawn fights I've ever seen, making it very clear what's happening without being drawn out and being jammed full of movement without feeling cluttered. It's actually kinda ridiculous how good the fights have been given how early this series is so far, like, most series would hold off on the really big showdowns for later but NOPE! Thirty chapters in feels like the fights have reached the same point Negima was at 150 chapters in. I honestly can't think of another series I'm reading right now that's capable of producing the same level of intensity in it's fights as this series does.

EDIT: Just remembered One Punch Man exists. And I think it's okay to be in second place compared to that series.

The setting is also pretty good, building on the ending of Negima while still managing to make it's own rules and do it's own thing, so UQ Holder feels like a proper continuation while still having it's own flavour.

The only real flaws worth pointing out are the characters, they all feel kinda shallow right now, but Negima had the same problem when it started, too, and ended up having some of the best character development I've seen in manga, so that seems like an issue that will hopefully fade as the series progresses.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 28, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I'm really enjoying UQ Holder, and I'm extremely curious about where Akamatsu will take it next. I wanna know whats up with Fate!

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah I feel like as we see more conflicts both inside and outside of the UQ Holder organization we'll delve into more of the characters pasts and motivations, padding out what feels sort of shallow currently. I really can't complain about the pacing or direction it's taken so far though, plenty of stuff has happened and it's all been fun and interesting to see. It just happens to be one of those series where as a reader I want a volumes worth of content every time I get a chapter cause I need to know what happens next.

LinktheMaster
Apr 29, 2014
Definitely good to hear. :) Sounds like it's worth checking out, so I'll probably pick it up this weekend.

Thanks everyone for your time and opinions!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's still very early but very, very promising.

The fights so far are easily some of the best drawn fights I've ever seen, making it very clear what's happening without being drawn out and being jammed full of movement without feeling cluttered. It's actually kinda ridiculous how good the fights have been given how early this series is so far, like, most series would hold off on the really big showdowns for later but NOPE! Thirty chapters in feels like the fights have reached the same point Negima was at 150 chapters in. I honestly can't think of another series I'm reading right now that's capable of producing the same level of intensity in it's fights as this series does.

The balance of clarity and intensity is one of the biggest things for me and what sets this and later Negima apart form other shounen stuff. One Piece for example is great for intensity and tons of poo poo happening in fights, but it's not often clear. A lot of other series have clear but boring fights. I've been rereading Negima, and I think the Wilhelm fight is where he really hits his stride in terms of fight choreography. Everything Wilhelm does feel like it has a lot of power and clear lines behind it, while Negi and Kotarou effectively convey speed.

Also Akamatsu doesn't do much sword pressing, so that's already a giant pile of points.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 27, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm having some doubts that the original plan would have even worked all that well. Unless they have Eva and basically all of UQ Holder waiting in the giant cave they were planning to teleport Fate to, I don't see how he doesn't just turn everyone who teleports there with him to stone (at best) or disassembled body parts and then laugh at the idea of people trying to imprison him inside of earth.

I echo the comments on this having good fights. I only read Negima casually, but this does seem like a step up in many ways. There aren't really many sequels in manga either, compared to most other mediums, so it's kind of nice to see something set in the same universe, but having resolved things with the bulk of the setting and characters from the original.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I'm a firm believer that the smartest thing Akamatsu did was put the amount of time between series in there. We get all the fun little call backs and a few good questions without really being burdened by what happened in Negima. There's a lot to explore and I really like that Touta isn't Negi 2.0 and isn't really trying to be. Even Eva feels like she's actually grown in the time between which is great when you consider what she and the other Holders are.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Chapter is out on crunchyroll, fight scenes continue to be excellent. The resolution seemed a little contrived, though I suppose if the chance landing on Fate from two chapters back had worked it would have been more so. Either way, I can't wait for next week, Eva and Fate :allears:

Also, Tsukuyomi is a cyborg now?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have to say I really like the volume covers so far. They're in keeping with the usual clean art style, and the relatively few shades he uses for each color give them a nice matte look, but doesn't affect any sense of depth at all. The way he does the lighting, particularly for volume 3, is also great. I am continually impressed by how good Akamatsu's art has gotten.

I'm also glad and not surprised to see that Touta is using a sword with variable mass exactly as he should. I would have liked to see a bit more of the other fights, though. Especially since the six armed guy was using Sundowner's swords. Akamatsu has to have been a huge fan of Revengeance. I see no other possible explanation for that and some of the earlier chapters.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Blech, somebody screwed the pooch and got the pages mixed up, so one two page spread has the pages on opposite sides, and I think all the other pages are supposed to be paired off differently, too. You'd think a professional translation would catch that.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Great chapter, the action is awesome! Now we just need more two-page-spreads of big spells and the dodging of their target. I'm pumped for next week, bring on the exposition!

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Great chapter, I love watching sword trails.

Based on those covers you'd think Kuromaru is the main character, s/he shows up more than Touta.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

New chapter is up on Crunchyroll. Oh hey, we're just going to have a series climax scale fight here in chapter 41. No big deal. And yet somehow I am even more excited for next chapter's impending info dumps from the man who knows everything than I was for two final bosses fighting. Also Akamatsu actually does call attention to how maybe teleporting Fate to a giant cave wasn't the best of ideas.

I love you, Akamatsu.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 9, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

The only disappointing thing about this series is knowing that it will probably never get the faithful anime adaptation it deserves. :argh:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Robviously posted:

The only disappointing thing about this series is knowing that it will probably never get the faithful anime adaptation it deserves. :argh:

Such is the Akamatsu curse. Forever and always to be loved by manga readers, ignored by anime watchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's a damning indictment that Ken can do FF Costumes far better than SE can do FF Costumes.

• Locked thread