Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

PerrineClostermann posted:

Yeah. New laws were being pushed and the situation was basically...if he didn't finish Negima quickly, he would no longer own the rights to it. They'd belong to the publisher.
People like to call Akamatsu a sellout, but as far as I can tell he's one of the very few people in the industry who has given serious thought to the legal and business issues regarding manga production and how to keep manga a commercially viable medium, and doesn't just keep going with the current method until it all comes crashing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Insurrectionist posted:

Hoping a decent number of the Negima main cast show up in some form - not necessarily as important or permanent fixtures (that'd be a bad idea if done with more than a small handful) but showing up for some closure.
Kaede and Mana should show up as a wrecking-crew duo. :black101: Their fight was one of the best in the series.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The no-speaking chapter with the swimming girl was my favorite of those.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Silento posted:

Touta called Negi his grandfather, and yet he's a Konoe.
Or Negi was the donor for a lesbian couple with whom he had a close relationship; that's not unheard of in the real world, and would explain both how Negi could be his grandfather and how his name was Konoe.

Seeing Eva all grown up and responsible was rather :3:, although it was sad to see her have to leave even Chachazero behind. And drat, Kaede got taaaaall.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Angry Grimace posted:

...or Negi's kid was a girl who married a male Konoe.
That's also possible, but the graves are for Negi and two Konoes, with no obvious signs of a wife for Negi.

Edit: As an addendum, there's another issue: two girls -> no Y chromosome -> no male offspring without extensive genetic engineering.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 26, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

Well, let's not forget she was already 700 years old. Maybe "grown up" isn't the best way to put it.
Aside from her physical appearance, her outlook has changed a lot. She's actually caring for and nurturing someone, instead of trolling the world for her amusement, and she seems to have a much better handle on her pride.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think it's hilarious that the MC's reaction immortality is "Damnit, now I'll never hit puberty so I'll never get the singing voice I want!"

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

veekie posted:

Is that the Chao Bao Zi on page 14?
I remember Mahora having rail cars like that, but it might not be the Chao Bao Zi itself. Or it might just be Akamatsu reusing models, he probably has a ton of assets sitting around on his computers he can call up when he wants to add an object.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Blhue posted:

Its uncertain so far, but probably a girl, raised as if she were a boy.
I'm fairly certain a guy wouldn't instinctively hold the towel high enough to cover his upper chest.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The festival arc was the best part of Negima that didn't have Jack Rakan in it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DrSunshine posted:

What had always always turned me off from Ken Akamatsu's works was his really generic sort of plasticky anime style, where everyone has cylindrical barbie-doll limbs and really flat-looking faces. His layouts all through Love Hina and the beginning of Negima were also really crowded and oversaturated with detail, and just somewhat unpleasant to look at. I'm pleasantly surprised that by UQ Holder, his art has evolved a great deal and looks quite decent, and the layouts got a lot clearer.
Sometimes the crowding worked, though. Negi's first look at the morning rush to Mahora was awesome.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Serious Frolicking posted:

The second was mostly just a vehicle for Shinbo humor, and had jack all to do with the manga. I thought it was actually kind of charming.
Seconding this, it was a lot of fun even if the plot (and some of the characterization, like Asuna's obsession with selling chupacabra goods) had nothing to do with the manga. I never did see the ending, though, because something wonky seemed to happen with the sub distribution I used back then.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

All I really remember about Negima?! was that it was the previous title holder of ending sequence that is both super catchy and super annoying before Witch Craft Works came along to give it a run for its money.
I can't remember for sure, but if it's anything like the OP there are a billion different versions of it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

buzmeg posted:

I was never a fan of his art style--it was always way too busy when there was action.
The business worked well in crowd scenes, though, like the morning rush to Mahora. Everywhere you look there's something neat going on.

Nate RFB posted:

If the "1000% Sparking" box I found is anything to go on, there are 10 different versions with various combinations of the girls (one of which is everyone all together). Might be the same for the OP.
Each of those versions (aside from the one with everyone) also has an alternate style mix. My favorite is the Eurobeat mix of Kazumi, Sayo, Chao, and Satsuki.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

We saw what happens when one of the completely uninteresting characters gets some focus. (Ako sucks.)
On the other hand, Akira's chapter was great.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chumbler posted:

^^^^ Akira had 2 or 3 pretty great chapters, as I recall.
The one that sticks out to me was the one with no talking by anyone.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Niel posted:

Akira was probably my favorite of the side-character girls, but her ending just, uh, kind of came out of nowhere for me? It annoyed me almost as much as Chisame's did.
It's hard for me to hold the ending against the earlier parts or the characters, because it was clearly an emergency ending that was cobbled together for legal reasons related to Akamatsu's dispute with his publisher.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Allarion posted:

Pretty sure that says more about Naruto than war arcs considering One Piece had a war that only lasted a year, while Naruto's has gone on for approximately four years. Rescue arcs are kind of overused, but they're awesome when executed well though, ironic example of Naruto's Rescue Sasuke arc was actually pretty good.
Naruto even had a really good tournament arc with the Chuunin exam.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Robviously posted:

She's got her cell phone, she's probably playing Candy Crush. :downs:

She seems more like the Cwazy Cupcakes type to me.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chumbler posted:

Also Kaede because it seemed that there was more to her than just "I taught myself how to be the universe's best ninja on weekends" that never got brought up again. Though that would also be a satisfactory explanation, really.
Kaede claimed that she was part of a ninja clan, and only a chuunin at that. (page itself isn't nsfw, but it's still early negima so don't go looking at nearby pages)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Considering how often it comes up, I guess I should probably read Love Hina. And reread Negima. gently caress, I think I'll just read Akamatsu's career, that shouldn't take more than a weekend right?
AI Love You is not that great and his art was still fairly rough back then.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Negima was not a bad looking series starting out, he had crazy huge crowd scenes with super detailed backgrounds from the getgo, those early chapters did not look bad at all.
Scenes like the Mahora morning rush were mind-blowing when I first came across them back in the day.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You know, there's someone who might still be around the area after being released from her previous job, who shouldn't have aged since the previous series, and whose status seems like it would have some relevancy to the powers being thrown around right now... Sayo Aisaka

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Darth Walrus posted:

Unless Sayoko already ate her. I mean, lookit the name.
Or Sayoko is what Sayo turned into.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rodyle posted:

Sayo is too busy being the eternal right hand lady to the Asakura Space Empire.
Wasn't she haunting Ryoko specifically, who is probably dead by now? That's what I meant by "released from her previous job."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Also, you forgot Sayo.
We already know she's dead.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rodyle posted:

People talk about Kyoto but the festival is where I think Negima really starts to go nuts. Before that it's mostly just okay. I still wouldn't say to skip the earlier stuff though, it's not like that stuff is long.
Mahora festival was the high point of Negima. I enjoyed it more than the Mars arc, probably because the festival did a better job of splitting its focus and letting a wider chunk of the cast do their thing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GhostStalker posted:

the most interesting parts to me are still the parts that have Negima characters show up in them...
When Chachamaru finally shows up the thread is going to reach peak :gizz:.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I could sort of see Kirie's reset power making her less likely to want to train her body. Exercising is something that a lot of people have to force themselves to do, and they can only do it because it will improve their body. But if Kirie resets, all that improvement will be undone, while she'll still have the memory of the time spent exercising with all its discomfort and drudgery. Since she never knows when she'll have to reset, she'll always be asking herself "is it worth it?" and probably answering "no."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A very Akamatsu way to end the chapter.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
That is some next-level kabe-don there.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Man, most of the damned class was magical, wasn't it?
3-A members who weren't magic* in some form by the end:

Misa Kakizaki
Madoka Kugimiya
Sakurako Shiina (maybe, she has a ridiculous level of luck)
Fuka & Fumika Narutaki (not sure how much they actually learned from Kaede)
Satsuki Yotsuba

3-A members who weren't magic in the beginning but were by the end:

Kazumi Asakura
Ako Izumi
Akira Okochi
Haruna Saotome
Makie Sasaki
Chizuru Naba
Chisame Hasegawa
Nodoka Miyazaki
Natsumi Murakami
Ayaka Yukihiro

3-A members who were already magic at the start, including direct relatives of mages:

Sayo Aisaka
Yuna Akashi
Yue Ayase
Asuna Kagurazaka
Misora Kasuga
Chachamaru Karakuri
Ku Fei
Konoka Konoe
Setsuna Sakurazaki
Mana Tatsumiya
Chao Lingshen
Kaede Nagase
Satomi Hakase
Evangeline AK McDowell
Zazie Rainyday

*magic counted as including martial arts that might as well be magic and superscience that incorporates magic

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
#illridewithyou

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

There will never be a good akamatsu anime

Negima!? at least gave us a really good OP.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Best girl only got 194 points. A shameful Japan.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Those are some top Eva faces this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Didn't she also have markings with XIII on her back?

• Locked thread