Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I posted this in the Misc. Shounen thread because I didn't see this one, but look at this:
That's totally Fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm... you may be right, on second glance the hairstyle looks a little different, at least compared to the bottom right panel on this page: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Mahou-Sensei-Negima/Mahou-Sensei-Negima-187?id=5173#16

I won't give up hope, though! Akamatsu can't cheat us out of Fate's post-villian character development! Or can he? :smith:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

While the action parts of Negima are my favorite of any Shounen manga, I also enjoyed the (non-fanservice) slice of life chapters. Even the ones at the end! This one especially, it's just amazing. I can't help but smile! :)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Apparently UQ Holder takes place in 2066. I have mixed feelings about this; on one hand, the students of 3-A will be nearly 80 years old, assuming they're still alive at all. On the other, we get to see how Negi's plan turned out. Also I guess it makes less sense for a new evil group or whatever the enemies will be to show up super soon after the defeat of Cosmo Entelecheia.

I'm still hype as gently caress though. :allears:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Chapter is out on Mangastream: http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/1/2026/1

On page 69, (http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/1/2026/69) when Touta punches the bounty hunter, there's a similar effect to when Negi punches Fate in their last battle. I was never clear on whether or not that effect appeared because of Magic Erebea, or if it appeared just because he fired off a huge amount of arrows with Ouka Houken.

Anyway, that was a great start. I hope Eva goes back to her normal form sometimes, I don't really like the way the one she has now looks.

Oh, and the line about watermelons was amazing and totally in-character for Eva :allears:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Oh man, awesome! Loved Negima back in the day, so I'm really interested in where this one goes. Kind of legitimately glad I lost track of it based on the talk in here though.

Doesn't Eva turning Touta seem a little strange? I wonder just how much clout the parents had to have to make someone like her turn someone else.

As Eva mentioned, she agreed partly out of selfishness- she wanted a companion who wouldn't die off after a while. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but we'll just have to wait and find out when the time comes.

Touta called Negi his grandfather, and yet he's a Konoe. Hmm... He doesn't have any memories of his past, so maybe he was just told Negi is his grandfather and it was left at that.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Or Negi was the donor for a lesbian couple with whom he had a close relationship; that's not unheard of in the real world, and would explain both how Negi could be his grandfather and how his name was Konoe.

That makes a ton of sense, haha. I would have never thought of it though, I don't expect to see things like that show up in manga.

^^^That makes sense too, actually.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I wonder why Chachamaru(zero too) aren't with Eva. Chachamaru could be working on something related to the space elevator or Mars, but Chachazero was explicitly shown being left behind in the opening pages.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

Well she explicitly narrates that you eventually grow bored even of those who can keep accompanying you. So she probably just abandoned chachazero. Its weird to have her be so nice and caring when she only ever was that way pretty briefly. And only with Negi/Nagi

But if I'm not remembering incorrectly, then she had Chachazero for many, many years. Why abandon her when she's your only companion left? Poor Eva. :ohdear:

I've always wondered how you pronounce Evangeline. Is it E-ven-ja-line? Evan-ja-line? Anyone know? :confused:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

We also should remember that, despite being a super powerful being and extremely competent at even depowered combat, Eva got trapped in a middle school for years and was bested by a (gifted, but still inexperienced and combat-weak) ten year old mage. She might be strong, but she's not invincible. Plus, who knows what her motivations are at this point?

Eva went super easy on Negi. He just interested her enough to make her want to stay. This is even mentioned off hand a few times.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Zect (Zech?) became the vessel of the Lifemaker when the Lifemaker was first defeated by Nagi. Judging from the fact that Nagi told Negi to kill him, recovering from being possessed by the Lifemaker was thought to be impossible.

^^^ Kinda.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yea, the festival arc was really good but I prefer the magic world arc. There's just so much cool stuff going on all over the place, and the lore is very interesting! :allears:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The fight scene in this chapter was so good! :allears: The sense of movement is just amazing, especially on page 13. And this is without any cool special abilities or shounen resolve involved, so it can still get way better. The hype train continues!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Catching your own decapitated head with your own hand and putting it back on your own neck isn't a cool special ability?

Eh, it's alright. I would say it pales in comparison to the kinds of things people were pulling out in endgame Negima, but it's definitely not bad for 4 chapters in.

Edit: I mean, Touta's move was cool, but I don't think it would keep being exciting if it showed up again and again. This thing, however, is awesome every time you see it. It gets even better when it's upgraded later.

Silento fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 13, 2013

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

veekie posted:

Negi spent 200 chapters getting there.

I know, that's why I'm so hyped about UQ Holder! :)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Eva mentions that Setsuna is dying her hair and wearing colored contacts somewhere around the Festival Tournament arc (pretty sure it's around then).

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

To me those spears looked just like an ice version of Fate's spears spell. Saggita magica doesn't really have the fixed form, they're just beams of light.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yea, I definitely think that's the kinds of thing kept on the down-low. Does the public really need to know that the son of Nagi and hero who saved the world was trained by an immensely powerful vampire? Don't you think they'd be a little worried that she might be in control? :ohdear:

Edit: Also, even if you didn't reveal the connection between her and Negi, people would probably question why an extremely wanted criminal who's reputation they use to scare their children was pardoned for no reason. It's not like anyone can collect on the bounty, regardless. She seems to be a step above even Rakan.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yea, that could be true. It's hard to say without knowing exactly what the biography focused on. I doubt they mentioned the time travel at the festival, to start with. The biography could easily talk about his childhood, his time as a teacher at Mahora, (part of) his adventure in Mundus Magicus, and then all the stuff he did as a major political figure that we didn't see. I'm not sure if she would be allowed to reveal that Arika is (was?) alive, and she would definitely not be allowed to reveal that native residents of the magic world are illusions (there must be a better word for it. Simulacrums?).

I would also reiterate the point that the public has been fearing "The Dark Evangel" for decades, if not centuries, so it would be hard to change people's thoughts about her.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter: http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/6/2078/1

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I think Touta will definitely grow up (though I doubt the optimism is going anywhere), but it might take a few arcs. He IS just a kid for now, and Akamatsu has done plenty to prove himself very proficient with character development. Actually, I'd say that character development was one of Negima!'s stronger points. Even with such a large cast, a good portion were fleshed out, and even more probably would have been if the manga hadn't ended in such an unfortunate way.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter: http://www.mangapanda.com/uq-holder/7

Hmm, not sure if there's gonna be a timeskip or not. I think it will probably go the "get out fast and impress people" route instead of having a timeskip, because we haven't seen Touta pushed to his limit yet. Also, if there are too many timeskips Touta's friends from back home will get old and die... :(

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter: http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/8/2105/1

I'm not sure if it's this week's chapter or last week's chapter.

Yeah, let's get more cool fights! :)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Well, at least we got two chapters this week even if there isn't one for next week.

I wonder why they're calling Al an evil mage... I guess someone might have moved in after him? Maybe Eva? Or maybe Eva was just spreading lies about him, it would be totally in character. Al is probably still around even now, because I believe he said he's older than Eva. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. It's been a few months since I read through Negima, so my memory is a little faded on some parts.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Negima is the greatest shounen battle manga I have ever read. And Akamatsu creates shitloads of awesome characters as the story goes on, it's so much fun to read.

Sorry for gushing, I'm a huge fan of Negima. I really need to go out and pick up every volume so I can read the glossary thing in the back, the bits that are in scans are really cool.

BigJerk, do you mind posting your thoughts as you read through it? It's quite a ride!

Edit: Negima > One Piece, although it can get pretty close. :)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Spoilering for the sake of the the guy in this thread who is currently reading Negima for the first time:

Fate did manage to kill Rakan, if you recall.

But then Rakan simply willed himself back to life again. :black101:

I don't think "killed" is the right word. Rakan was winning the fight handily until Fate pulled out the deus ex machina (not that it was bad, but that's literally what it was). Even if Fate had went all-out I doubt he could have killed Rakan. Fate quite literally wrote Rakan out of existence. And Rakan (with Asuna's help) wrote himself back in. Who's better than Rakan? No one, that's who! :c00l:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Wow, Crunchyroll's web reader is terrible.

It's hilarious that Eva simply forgot about Jinbei.

The gravity sword is cool, I wonder what kind of cool tricks Touta will do with it?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/12/2152/1

I guess UQ Holder is a group that helps the needy? Makes me wonder what made Eva care, I can't see old Eva giving enough fucks to do something about this stuff. She'd just laugh it off and say the world is cruel.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The grunts! :allears:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/14/2170/1

New chapter is out, a short hour or two before the official simulrelease.

It's no surprise that Akamatsu is putting a bit of fanservice in. Some things never change.

Karin seems to have a cool kind of immortality, I'm interested in her backstory. Also, Touta not being able to see Eva until he's put the work in is a good way to let him grow up a bit. I wonder how many arcs will go by before they meet again?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I miss Negi's intelligence and his very human anxiety (something I can relate to), but I'm also enjoying Touta. I don't think Akamatsu will have it continue like it's been though, something will probably change.

To be honest, I'm most curious about Eva's new perspective on (un)life. She's clearly experienced change because of her time with Negi and co., so who knows if she's still as much of a cynic?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I really hope Touta doesn't break out through SHEER WILLPOWER or some similar deus ex machina.

To the contrary, I'd love to see Touta take the Rakan route!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

gently caress that, bring back Rakan himself. :kamina:

Well yeah, who else is going to teach Touta how to be a man? :colbert:

Also, Kotarou might be alive too! He's not human, after all.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter: http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/19/2220/1

drat, Akamatsu is such a tease. These little bits of action are so good, I need more RIGHT NOW. :ssj:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter: http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/20/2227/1

I'm getting more and more curious about Karin's backstory. Gods? I don't remember those being in Negima. Well, maybe the Lifemaker was one. I guess we might never know, now. :smith:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

chumbler posted:

I want him to be really happy with this series.

After he made that terrible ending for Negima? gently caress what he wants, I deserve closure!!!

To be serious though, UQ Holder is awesome so far. I have no idea where it will go, but I have complete faith it will be amazing. Akamatsu is not only great at drawing battle scenes, his character development and plotting are top notch too! I'm such a fanboy... :lol:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

While I agree that the amount of fanservice in Negima is unfortunate, I definitely do enjoy the wacky hijinks. The slice-of-life chapters pretty frequently put a smile on my face when I read through them.

On the topic of UQ Holder, I hope Touta gets a bit more clever. Rakan wasn't stupid, he just gave no fucks. Touta already has the give no fucks part down pat, he just needs the experience to back it up.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

New chapter: http://readms.com/r/uq_holder/24/2265/1

drat, we're moving along at light speed now. Or should I say lightning speed? :D

It's cool that Touta was re-absorbing his gibs. After all, Magia Erebea is about taking everything! Sometimes more literally than others.

I hope we get to see Negi's final form in action sometime.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

UchihaHirou posted:

The shadows look like Fate, Albiero "Colonel Sanders", Chachamaru, Mana Tatsumiya, and Zazie Rainyday. So basically, none of his minister magi ("partners").

I'm not sure about not partners. What's stopping Negi from having a pactio with Mana, Zazie, or Fate during the 60 odd years between Negima and this flashback?

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure Zazie is a full demon. Her sister was demon royalty or something, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

.Clash posted:

Page 11 :negative: What could have been...

I haven't quite given up hope yet, but... :(

• Locked thread