Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Gearhead posted:

The ending was literally a protest of Kodansha trying to take his copyright on his work away.
Was this ever proven or sourced? I seem to remember it was just a lot of speculation from the fanbase when they coupled the ending with the new legislation. I think it likely was the case behind the scenes either way but I don't think Akamatsu actually came out and said it was a protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paracelsus posted:

Seeing Eva all grown up and responsible was rather :3:
Well, let's not forget she was already 700 years old. Maybe "grown up" isn't the best way to put it.

This was pretty cool either way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Soooo... Akamatsu wants in on that hot K-ON! action? Can't say I saw that coming.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Like many kissmanga releases as of late, this is missing pages. Go here instead: http://www.mangapanda.com/uq-holder/3

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You could say that Touta has a pretty good head on his shoulders.

E: MangaStream

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't help but think it would have been a lot cooler if the story really had been about Touta building up such an organization rather than having it all dumped into his lap already.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Negima had a pretty good peak, but let's not kid ourselves with how bad the first ~70 chapters are (gonna throw the ending in that group too). To say nothing of the various missteps thanks to the Love Hina fanservice coming back to remind people that Akamatsu hadn't gotten all of it out of his system yet (E: or ever will).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 22, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Before I saw the last page I thought he had made Touta explode, which would have been a pretty gruesome regeneration.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All I really remember about Negima?! was that it was the previous title holder of ending sequence that is both super catchy and super annoying before Witch Craft Works came along to give it a run for its money.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paracelsus posted:

I can't remember for sure, but if it's anything like the OP there are a billion different versions of it.
If the "1000% Sparking" box I found is anything to go on, there are 10 different versions with various combinations of the girls (one of which is everyone all together). Might be the same for the OP.

I also remember there was a joke opening where all of the characters were replaced with their weird magical chibi versions. It was a goofy series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

chumbler posted:

She got exactly what she wanted all along, though. Also I like to imagine that the Chisame ending is the true ending. I like to think Akamatsu favored it too, because A) she was a Naru and B) she had probably the best developed relationship with Negi.
I'm sure you can really call becoming a shut-in recluse a reasonable end to her character arc. IIRC she wasn't like that in the "bad" ending either, so somehow Asuna being around screwed things up for her. It was pretty dumb especially how seemingly important she had become in the final few arcs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

pinegala posted:

I'll admit that the tournament arc was great but everyone that wasn't in the main cast got dropped hard.
The Negima cast is big. Like, holy poo poo it's a big cast. It's inevitable that Akamatsu would have had to reduce it down to what he felt were the most interesting ones for character development. More time allocated to I don't know the cheerleading squad means less time for Chachamaru, Eva, Nodoka, etc.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 26: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHibe7XxZAQ

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

This is the first time I can remember seeing a shonen hero lose to a group of interchangeable soldiers with face-concealing outfits.

Good chapter up until Evangeline showed up. I would have preferred it if they'd actually got away with capturing Touta and made the next arc a rescue arc.

No thanks, if there's one thing shounen manga does not need more of it's rescue arcs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

Rescue arcs own and so do tournament arcs. What we need less of is war arcs like the current one in Naruto.
Usually it isn't the main character, so I suppose if this goes through that would be interesting at least. Now if Eva's the one who winds up getting captured that would be kind of :doh: though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So if she can only go back to a save point while it's burning, does that mean that she'll still be able to return even if someone were to come over and kick it over say 10 minutes after she leaves? Since it was burning at one point in time, she would simply return to when she first set it. Or does it need to be still burning somewhere in the world when she dies for it to work?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Negima is also positively chaste compared to the fanservice in Kenichi.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Was it just me or did a whole bunch of crunchyroll series not show up over the past couple of days while the forums were down? :tinfoil:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm sure the circumstances are different, and in fact this has a good chance of being a bit of a red herring, but at first glance it's sort of dull that Fate's goal seems to be the exactly the same sort of thing as when he was a villain (the Cosmo Entelecheia thing). Basically save the population at some sort of expense that puts them at odds with the heroes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Negima also made a point of having Negi's main power be his negative/dark aspects, contrasting with his father as the more typical style of hero. I remember really liking the chapter(s) where he's forced by Rakan to choose between the two styles and coming to the conclusion that Evangeline suited him much more.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess they're going to go for the rear end in a top hat Victim approach, where the people he wound up actually killing were actual criminals or immortal hunters after him or something. Given that that bunch of dorks were apparently not worth it. Or he's still a red herring. I guess we have another ambiguous gender character as well, going by that title page.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bremen posted:

I was wondering how Santa's friend was so young but still apparently knew him before his death, and then what do you know. Not a plot hole after all. So, Karin said she'd apprehend him after class, if she disappears will everyone except Touta blame Santa?
Yeah this is almost certainly going for a "Touta defends Santa and thus teaches him The True Power Of Friendship."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 50 is up on crunchyroll. E: I think Akamatsu has a bit of a knack for crazy/unhinged serial killers because :stare:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 17, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I always referred to it as the Cosmic Enchilada.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Whatever, Spider Chick."

My thoughts exactly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Based on the "pose as a team, because poo poo just got real" page, I guess this is going to be our main gang going forward.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bremen posted:

I'd groan about a tournament arc, but the tournaments in Negima were all pretty incredible.
A lot of people point to Kyoto as being the turning point in Negima for when it got good but for me I think it was that tournament (and I suppose the Mahora Festival arc in general).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

Its not the harem that is the problem
Then don't read it, it's not going to matter that much.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 29, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Mars/Magical World arc of Negima is probably the best thing Akamatsu has ever done.
I couldn't remember if you were still posting in this thread, but now that I see you around I was wondering whether it would be possible to get the OP reworked a little since the title image is broken and all. Maybe collate some of the silly Negima questions like who Negi/Eva/Fate are, what chapters you could ostensibly start with in Negima if you're going to be all :rant: about reading it but still want to see some of the background to UQ Holder. Examples being Ch. 26 (Kyoto Field Trip) or Ch. 72 (Mahora Festival).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GodFish posted:

Some familiar faces in this chapter.
The obvious ones are the two girls who were Fate's minions. Was there anyone else?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I'm getting from this conversation is the current battle is the Negima equivalent of Liquid vs. Solid Snake.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if Touta will be the only one who inherited Magia Erebea or there will be multiple users; if not that could be why he is so "sought after".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if Akamatsu is a Type-Moon fan, because that description on the types of vampires sounds fairly similar to the True Ancestor/Dead Apostle situation in that franchise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember the various "training" arcs in Negima being a decent amount of fun, too. Guess Akamatsu is good at them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
But they're not immortal? I mean they're just sort of hanging out rather than getting killed like the others for the training.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are so many random details from throughout Negima that have been lost to the ether in my mind. It was a pretty ambitiously developed world after all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Arc is probably wrapping up since "surpassing the teacher", not that Touta will actually succeed, is usually the last step.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got a good chuckle out of "...and Sound Effect!"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I know he's kind of simple as far as MC's go but I like the cut of Touta's jib. It's fun to see him stumble about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It was bad today but I've usually not had any problems with the CR reader.

• Locked thread