Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Oh my god just post whatever magic loving poo poo you found right here, jesus, I'll check this thread in the morning and I'm sure you'll have scared me into switching to a stage 1 tarball of loving Gentoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I'm just posting things about IT. What the gently caress am I doing wrong; and why are you all making a big deal out of nothing? I mean poo poo I was just posting stuff I think is something that may/may not be helpful. I'm not even stating opinions just things I've found out, and hoping it may help someone else.

Sometimes I think people want to make a big deal out of nothing. This started out as me just saying "hey there is a vunerability here, don't feel like talking about it". How the gently caress did we get here?

Can we just get back to taking about helping people in careers and helping them know what we know?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 27, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

~Saturday night IT thread~

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I do not know what to say however my IBM buddy tells me that Openstack is going to make every MCSA/RHCE/VCP un-employed. Thoughts?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Didn't the ease of scripting and the prevalence of automation already put me out of a job 10 years ago?

I believe evol262 wrote some posts on why Openstack is a fantastic product but nowhere near ready for mass adoption a few months back.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Didn't the ease of scripting and the prevalence of automation already put me out of a job 10 years ago?

I believe evol262 wrote some posts on why Openstack is a fantastic product but nowhere near ready for mass adoption a few months back.

Ask Rackspace about using Openstack in prod.

Spoiler alert: They spend a lot of time modifying core components to make them usable in real life.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
oh hey 30 new posts sweet

oh

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We should just start locking the thread on Saturday nights.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Was everyone drunkposting last night or something? Go outside and scream at passers by, like a normal person, god.

(Don't actually do this)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Sever post over the weekend! drat, its just DAF annoying people again. :(

DAF :getout:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CLAM DOWN posted:

~Saturday night IT thread~

Last weekend was better

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I do not know what to say however my IBM buddy tells me that Openstack is going to make every MCSA/RHCE/VCP un-employed. Thoughts?

Considering you still need to run both a host and guest OS for Openstack to function, I am not sure :wtc: your friend is talking about. Unless he's saying that cloud providers will become so prevalent and cheap that literally no one will have in house IT anymore, which I also disagree with.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My posts were mostly about how Openstack isn't a competitor to vSphere because people have this idiotic belief that it is somehow, and detailing what openstack is and is not.

It's a lot more production ready than it was during Folsom, and most of the new clouds (HP's, for example) are actually openstack. Neutron sucks to set up and troubleshooting anything is cryptic because it's 7-12 different products working together through a message broker and APIs. The only services you actually need are keystone and nova. The other bits can be skipped or provided by something else with a compatible api. Yes, this happens. This is still pretty close:

There are a number of problems with being a large group. Mostly vendors who want upstream to leave wiggle room in implementation (read: don't go full-bore on development and only implement the base spec, not the edge/cool stuff) so those vendors can push their own products. Cisco is particularly bad about this.

But the biggest reason it's not ready for mass market is that companies can't function with cattle, don't have apps which scale horizontally, don't have fault tolerance, and don't have modern (or any) config management. Sure, you could theoretically build an image with oz or whatever which had all your business' crap for x app, then for y app, and use those for deployments. Or lump a huge shell script in cloud-init. But you shouldn't. Openstack is ready. Shops aren't ready.

That said, Red Hat is by far the largest contributor to openstack. We also have releases, both open and productized (rdo and rhos). Rackspace, Red Hat, and Canonical are the largest openstack supporters. Mirantis, Red Hat, and Rackspace ship it as a product (Mirantis' is probably the best). Canonical also does this with Juju, I think.

We have an RHCA track for openstack. Openstack is still Linux. The RHCE is not going to die.

IBM has transitioned into a services company. They host their own IaaS with openstack, and all their PaaS stuff is built on it. They do actually contribute to openstack, though a lot of their contributions are for power support or various targets IBM wants. Nothing wrong with that. But IBM doesn't want to rule the world again, and they probably couldn't even if they did want to.

IBM wants to be your one stop support and consulting firm. Oracle? Openstack? Windows? VMware? RHEL? Websphere? Of course we support that. No need to wrangle 10 vendors for support. Just IBM. And pay their consultants to help you with deployments. That's IBM.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wish IBM would have consultants to help with our AS400 projects. My boss swears he called them up and couldn't get anyone to contract out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreenNight posted:

I wish IBM would have consultants to help with our AS400 projects. My boss swears he called them up and couldn't get anyone to contract out.

What's the project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:Somebody post a new thread:siren:

If needed we can have a discussion about what to put in the OP in the new thread.

• Locked thread