Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate dealing with hosted spam solutions. There's often no feedback if your emails are rejected and not quarantined.

So I'm between a tier-one support goon and an IS manager from another company who doesn't even know what an email log is. I should just step the gently caress out of this and let them sort it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Misogynist posted:

Is this different from most contracting opportunities?

Kelly Technical offers it - but other staffing companies that get you in the same BIG CORP or even the same department don't. So you tend to get a lot of bickering and jealousy between contractors.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

QPZIL posted:

There's 4 of us, for an organization with 1500+ people across 80 locations. Today, one person is out sick, one person "will be in late" because he has to "check on a friend's cat", another person has been outside on a personal call for the last 30 minutes, annnnnddd... then there's me, logged into the phone queue taking back-to-back calls.
STORY TWIST: Cat-checking guy fixes the CEO's home computer, gets promoted.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have like 20 people out of 200 with 100+ GB PST's. Another hundred people with 20-40GB PST's. Can you say clusterfuck. There are systems that should be changed that resulted in all this email being generated and everyone has to save every one, just in case. This information shouldn't be in emails but in a database somwhere since most of those emails have each gone to 15 different people.

These are saved to the users workstation on their loving hard drive. This means we have to do individual workstation backups. That's another level of suck.

Guess what, your computer crashed with outlook open? Have fun for 16 hours while Outlook checks the PST file for errors.

We don't have exchange and wouldn't matter if we did because we'd need to buy servers to run it on and a SAN to store it on. We have a 6 year old SAN (like 1TB?) and 7 year old hardware running our VM environment and the boss doesn't see why we should upgrade anything, ever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

adorai posted:

Exchange is single instance storage per datastore. If you only have one mailbox datastore, an email is only stored once, regardless of the number of recipients.

I know this and tried to explain deduplication to my boss but he's a tard. We're using Ipswitch iMail with Outlook clients.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Erkenntnis posted:

So how's working in a call center? Just interviewed a position that would have me taking incoming calls about and supporting Cisco devices.

Depends on how strict they are on ticket times and being at your station and if they make you sell other services while you're on calls.

I have a couple friends who work data/voice circuit support for LARGE_INTERNET_PROVIDER and they've all been there like 15 years. Survived rounds of layoffs and bankruptcies though so I'm sure it hasn't been a smooth ride.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crunchtime posted:

Just changed my emphasis to IT-Security. Someone tell me whats in store for me?

Annoying It staff everywhere with checklists full of stupid questions and performing silly audits.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Erkenntnis posted:

One thing that was brought up during feedback from my interviewers is that they felt like my resume was too long. I've heard conflicting information (my college adviser recommended that it needed "heft"). Would anyone be willing to give it 2 minute look-over? I can send you a link in a PM.
How long could it possibly be?

"My name"
"Where I went to school"
"GPA if it was amazing"
"Certifications/etc"
"Last 3 jobs. Be brief"

Don't list every computer program you've ever used or the fact that you're in a My Little Pony club. The time to bring interests and poo poo up is when you're asked or you see a pony on an interviewers desk.

People interviewing for helpdesk or other entry level jobs shouldn't have a 3 page resume. I've seen 4 pagers from people that wanted to be a line cook.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Interview tip: Never bring up My Little Pony in an interview, even if asked. Even if the interviewer has a pony on his desk. Keep that secret shame secret, man.

You'd probably recognize the guy from PonyCon the minute you see him.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Are you someplace with super low cost of living? $29k seems absurdly bad for any sort of IT work, even entry level.

Yea, that's the realm of entry-level helpdesk, mid-level geeksquad, or working at a networking consulting place with 0 certs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Would it be worse if they bumped you up to syaadmin and then gave you the network engineer roles (without any extra pay) down the road?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Tell me about working on AS400s and Mainframes - I'd like to know what I'd be potentially getting myself into.

Antique programming languages and environments and the people in charge of them are usually stalwarts from the 80's. Also be prepared to work with a very small amount of high-priced consultants.

What mainframe?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I've seen them around in literally every big enterprise but are they impossible to virtualize? Too expensive to recode everything into a modern language? How can you even get hardware for this stuff still?

It's not a really a mainframe but we are using an HP Itanium server (new in 2004) running HP/UX. We run Universe database, which supposedly could instead run on Windows or Linux. But the actual application code and hourly/nightly jobs all still run on the machine, and it's a internal piece of software that we've been working on for 25 years. It would be a massive project to move over to .NET or PHP or Rails or whatever, and would probably bankrupt the company if we tried.

It would be nice if we did - that's assuming we built modern web front ends to our applications. Right now we run a mix of green-screen terminals (most interaction with the system is done through Dynamic Connect which is a terminal emulator straight out of 1992) and a few web applications and an old VB6 Windows app that do a lovely screen-scraping job. The database connector we use for the VB6 app is no longer supported either so good luck troubleshooting that poo poo when it randomly crashes.

Another thing that would be nice is if the database ran on MySQL or MS SQL. Backups, replication, clones for reporting, all this stuff is a giant hurdle when you're using LARGE COMPANY ANCIENT DATABASE SOFTWARE.

HP still supports the OS and Strategy7 still supports our hardware. We had one of the redundant power supplies go out in our tape backup a few weeks ago and a guy showed up from HP the next morning with the part and replaced it under our maintenance agreement. We bought another Itanium on eBay that I have to scavenger the 4GB of RAM out of and install it in the production system one night.

We're getting a pair of 300GB Ultra320 drives to replace the 146GB drives in another Itanium server we have that I'm configuring as a clone that we will have ready to go in our disaster recovery colo. This project has been 'in the works' for the last 4 years, I'm the only person they've ever hired with any UNIX knowledge so we're finally getting the ball rolling on it.

You could virtualize it but not in the traditional sense because it's not x86 hardware. But mainframes have been doing their own virtualization since the days of DOS.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nebulis01 posted:

I can't help on the first two, but the .gov i worked at really loved the Attachmate's Reflection Suite (http://www.attachmate.com/Products/Terminal+Emulation/emulation.htm) as a terminal emulator.

I don't use any of actual programs, I just do admin stuff on the system. So use Putty and iTerm, changed my shell and such.

Boss: YOU CAN'T DO THAT! YOU NEED TO USE DIRECT CONNECT!

:arghfist:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

System Z (and AS400 in general) happily runs Linux instances with languages and tools as modern as anything RHEL6 can throw at it. Yes, you'll have traditional COBOL/JCL stuff running on it somewhere, but they're not necessarily as antiquated as this makes them out to be.

This is terrible. There is almost no reason whatever code you're running needs to be on Itanium. While UniVerse is a complete piece of poo poo, it runs on Linux also. And Windows, probably. It supports ODBC. Why are you using a VB6 connector? Why are you using VB6 in 2013? You don't need to scavenge parts and duct-tape together hardware.

Because of bad management and lack of technical resources.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

I know it's not your fault, but keeping HP-UX servers going and eBaying hardware when a 3 month development push onto commodity hardware would probably cost less than your support contracts every year is :suicide:

We have 250+ people in this office and 2 bonded T1's for internet. Management is stagnant, to say the least.

"It works."

But it's slow (we have agents using our internally hosted servers for daily transactions. Some things take 3 minutes to do and they get furious.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I swear nobody in this loving company knows what a patch panel is. Walljacks are wired straight into switch ports.

To top it off, every 4-10 cubicles are split into "DEPT-ZONEx", and those go to a small switch hidden in a cubicle wall. Then each switch goes to another switch in a closet in that building.

What's the justification for doing this? Everywhere else I've ever been every walljack goes to a patch panel in the same rack, or the rack next to the rack with switches in it. And there are never rinky-dink switches dividing up groups of 8 users.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone want to share their janky backup stories?

We backup every client and server on the network (except for a handful of laptops that use a service to backup over the internet) using Retrospect 7. These backups are sent to a set of 4 Synology 5-disk setup (WD Greens, joy) over the network each week and then from there, sent to another WD Green in an eSATA dock, I collect them all and give them to someone who takes them home for the weekend. Then they go back to a big fire safe where we keep 1 set of backups for each month for the past year.

This 'works' but it's consumer hardware so we're constantly RMA'ing greens and outgrowing the backup drives (didn't groom so it's 2.1TB and won't fit on the disk...) or the docks flake out etc.

It's also not automated in any real way.

I would like to buy a Barracuda backup device but the one we need would be like $40,000 and the boss says no. The other problem is then we couldn't do an offsite backup. Internet connection is to slow to backup 6-8TB to 'the cloud', we're already using most of our bandwidth at nighttime to clone our VMware environment to a co-lo.

We have fiber going across the street to our other office so we could run another backup server there, but then of course we're not protected from a nuclear bomb or Mothra wiping out both offices. Also we have to buy two piece of backup hardware, and my boss is all "OMG WHAT WILL WE DO WITH ALL THE WD GREENS I BOUGHT"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

You have nearly several terabytes of what exactly?

Who the gently caress knows. But users are special snowflakes and they can't be told what to do.

A good 3 TB of that is PST files. Let me introduce you to my friend the 100GB PST file...

The majority of it obviously doesn't change on a daily basis. Our systems generate a ton of email but everything is basic stuff - Microsoft Office files, photos...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Docjowles posted:

God drat, Morales. Have you considered YOTJing? Your recent posts make your company sound pretty miserable.

I just did. I am just trying to fix up everything I can and wait for the IT Director to be fired (rumors are floating). We need someone who's been where we are and took things to the next level (or up to something current).

Current guy is a loving tool who only buys AMD and only buys refurbished HP poo poo. Had I known it was this bad I would have never took the job, but at least it's a challenge in certain ways.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

What metro are you in?

None, really. 2 hours north of Detroit in a dwindling old auto town of 40,000 people.

My personal situation has changed a bunch this summer so I'm going to consider re-locating over the winter but I need to sharpen some skills first. I'm back to Windows admin after almost 3 years of Ruby development.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mierdaan posted:

Flint? Don't get murdered.

Keep going north for another 30 minutes. Still gonna get murdered.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight posted:

and don't have a boss who micromanages.

I'd accuse my boss of having a script that IM's me every ~2 hours with 'What are you working on?" but he's not that competent.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let's talk about cabling again. MOM WHAT'S A PATCH PANEL?

1. You can see one of our awesome Synology + drive dock backup systems
2. What? Store a bunch of PC's in the server room? Okay!
3. Why does HP use such a huge loving box to put a 19" monitor in?
3. I know we have a KVM but it's easier to just have a buncha keyboards on the desk. Really.
4. What, this pile of old PC's still running XP and even 2K? WE NEED EM

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Those are some big monitor boxes. I hope they are storing other stuff and not CRT's. Also those HP desktops on the floor can definitely run Win7 if you wished to upgrade...

They mostly run some lovely tarrif, tax, or rating software developed by Joe Bumfuck from 1996-2010. So they get RDP'd into once a month by someone. One is some box that runs WordPerfect 5.1 with some goofy database connector and then is plugged into some ancient fax box.

There is a Sony tower from Best Buy in there as well.

Our VMware cluster is running on hardware from 2006. 1TB SAN, yay.

I need to take a picture of the upstairs where we have a loving museum of Pentium machines stored. Yellow Gateway boxes as far as the eye can see. Might need 'em one day!

There are 4 fire safes on the ground. NONE OF THEM HAVE ANY TAPES OR DRIVES IN THEM

There's a coat rack and a giant 1980's projector screen in the corner of the room. Good place to store it, by the cables that the whole company runs on!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I can't knock storing spare equipment in the server room, though; it's usually the only lockable location that only IT has access to. Unless the point is that they're ancient poo poo that should just go in the dumpster, in which case yeah that's flashback #3 for me.

We have two fairly large, lockable storerooms. One is full of stuff like old Xeon servers, P3 desktops, piles of broken laptops, rubbermaid bins of serial cables....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Geoj posted:

It's not just monitors either. I just dropped off a 3.5" SAS drive at our local logistics center that comes in a box long enough to fit a full-size 104 key keyboard and tall/wide enough to pack optical drives in two across by three high. The box was pretty much filled with 90% foam and 10% drive.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/21/more_hp_packaging/

Wasn't there some picture going around where HP shipped a guy like 50 screws, each individually wrapped and put in it's own 10" box?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Did those chairs get raged on or what, they are missing arms and poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

One of my previous employers would buy servers 'just in case', because the budget wouldn't be there later.

We'd do either 1 of 2 things with those 'extra' servers. Install some version of Linux and dick around with it, or put it in the rack and never power it on and see how long it takes for someone to notice it's not doing anything.

I've had a Debian box running there for 4 years now (use it for an IRC shell and remote ping box).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boss: Open a ticket for the firewall issue with firewall_corp?

Me: Okay

Boss: Put such and such in the ticket and tell them you were working with such and such.

Me: Okay

Boss: Did you reboot the firewall yesterday after 5:00? You need to add that to the ticket!

Me: The guy from firewall_corp couldn't connect to the primary, he asked me to reboot it.

Boss: You need to add this to the ticket!

OPEN THE TICKET YOUR GODDAMN SELF IF YOU ARE THE ONE WHO WANTS TO PUT poo poo IN IT. gently caress.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I sometimes have a ton of free time at work.

Anyone have any suggestions on educational things I can be doing online?

I'm playing around with tryruby right now, but I'm new enough to IT that almost anything is new cool and exciting.

Learn Linux

Start playing with VirtualBox or VMware

Learn PowerShell scripting in Windows

Web programming in whatever language you want (PHP, Ruby, .NET, Python, who cares just loving pick one)

That will get you into SQL databases as well as HTML/CSS

Javascript is fun and you can start typing it right into Firefox/Chrome

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Helpdesk guys and our IT director are getting their morning yucks berating users this fine Monday morning. A user is asking why our email solution is so convulted (pop3 only, Outlook forwarding to external accounts if you want mail on your tablet, remove via VPN only, etc)

YOU WANT ME TO MANAGE YOUR EMAIL FOR YOU?
SHE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT SHIFT-ALT-DELETE IS?
HAHAHAHAAH

loving tools.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Third Man posted:

People like that are why I have to work so hard to get people to come to me with actual issues instead of ignoring them or finding poor workarounds. I hate how prevalent that attitude is in IT.

And then they wonder why people at some companies hate IT departments.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone ever killed their boss and gotten away with it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ganon posted:

So do you regret leaving web development?

No, the extra $ makes it worth it, and I'm more marketable (in my area). I'm slowly getting big changes made (new internet provider, Exchange 2013 implantation, new VMware cluster in the spring) so I'm just going to suck it up and build some experience.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I got really drunk at a tech conference last night and have been throwing up calamari all morning. Still better shape than my boss. What a night.

Seafood, especially salmon, is at the top of my list of poo poo to not ever throw up. Vile.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Don't fall into the trap of overlisting skills or specific software. I'd put no more than a handful of generic skills with no specific software suites that you're ready to speak to.

You can't always count on a interviewer to do that. And you should tailor your resume to the job, especially if the description lists specific programs/hardware that you've got experience with.

Put specifics, but only stuff you've actually used quite a bit. Not 'well once I added a route to a Cisco router so I'll list Cisco'. I've basically gotten jobs before because the interviewer said "Oh so you've used Foo Bar?"

My current job, however, is more like, "Backup Exec? Exchange? We don't use any of that stuff. Ever hear of RetroSpect or iMail?"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Methanar posted:

Does anyone have any guidance or advice for a 16 year old graduating high school at the end of June to get into a networking job.

What sort of basic education would I need to even be looked at? What would be an entry position? What sort of investments would I need to make?
Get some business cards out and start trying to get gigs fixing computers anywhere you can. Laundromat, bowling alley, dentist office, doctors office...

Here's your chance to learn a ton of different crap and get your name out there as the 'smart computer kid' and start charging $60/hr.

Other than that, take every computer class you can get at school or at your local community college. Cisco, Microsoft, anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Methanar posted:

Its going to be a huge investment for me to actually do anything because its going to involve a 300km+ move.

You have to do it at some point unless you want to live in bumfuck, Canada for the rest of your life.

Go to college, learn, drink beer, meet girls, enjoy the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Is that IpSwitch iMail? How do you like that? Does it do single instancing?
Yes, ipswitch. I used it over 10 years ago when I worked at a small ISP. It's cheap and fast runs on a low-end machine compared to Exchange but you obviously don't get any of the features you need for a 250-person company.

But having everyone on pop3 email is a loving joke for various reasons. My boss is paranoid so he won't put the server on a public IP so we could then use IMAP and not have to have people's mail client forward their company emails to their personal accounts on their phone so we look like chucklefucks from 2001 when it comes to mobile email.

If we don't move to Exchange I'm going to tell him to eat a bag of dicks.

As far as single instancing, I don't know but probably not.

• Locked thread