Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here work in healthcare related IT? I'm currently an RN in the ICU but I did some tech support for an ISP before this. I've thought about going into Nursing Informatics but I can't say I know anyone in the field. Anyone able to share their experiences in healthcare IT? I'll have my BSN in a year, not sure where to go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on working in healthcare IT. I had an interview for a Clinical Informatics Analyst position today, think I nailed it. Felt good to get out of scrubs and wear a suit again. I'm excited to get away from the sick and dying, and start walking around in business casual, drinking coffee and telling nurses to reboot their computer.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 14, 2014

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I accepted the Clinical Informatics position. Goodbye bedside nursing, hello healthcare IT! No more crushing the chests of old people during CPR (which is seriously a bummer).

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those working in healthcare IT... I'm an RN about to start a Clinical Informatics Analyst position. From your viewpoint, is it beneficial to learn any basic scripting? Do any of the nurses you work with write scripts or perform basic IT duties? This will be at a regional trauma center, about 450 beds. No clue about the size of the IT staff. I'm thinking our nursing informatics team will be about 6 people. I know the basics of computer repair and worked tech support for an ISP a few years ago.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 10, 2014

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

joe944 posted:

Re-build the environment single-handedly and then threaten to leave. Worked for me. Although this was my first sysadmin gig so I did have to learn a lot and step up my first year. This thread was definitely a confidence booster and provided lots of ideas for advancing my career.

Next week I start a new job as a Clinical Informatics Analyst. From what I gathered during my interview, I'm going to be the most technically proficient member of the team. I've toyed with the idea of teaching myself how to program a little with Python or Perl for basic analytics and what not. In my mind, if I can create something that no one else on the team understands, that enhances my value. :unsmigghh:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I should clarify. I'm a nurse and I'll be working on a team full of nurses. Writing scripts and being the IT guy is nowhere near my job description. I was thinking of teaching myself programming because I don't believe anyone else on the team knows how. In doing so, I'll have a valuable skill. Its not my intention to be an rear end in a top hat and create the da vinci code.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Roargasm posted:

Recent 20% raise got set in motion when I started studying for my CCNA after work in the company library. They couldn't refuse...because of the implication

I don't make close to 125k though.

Don't you look at me like that, you certainly wouldn't be in any danger.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

evil_bunnY posted:

Yo are you sure you'll be working in an IT department

The job title is clinical informatics. Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect. I'm led to believe that I'll be part of a team that acts as a middle man between the medical staff and the IT/software guys.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Comradephate posted:

And then after you get fired your company has to pay me a lot of money to come in and unfuck/document whatever you did.

Basically what I'm saying is... keep doing you.

Unless you're a nurse, I ain't too worried about it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

AlternateAccount posted:

Knowing when to use AutoIt and it's incredibly powerful capabilities is most definitely a skill.

I thought we had an AutoIT thread around these parts a while ago. Do you have a good reference for it outside their website?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How many of you guys have had close calls or big mistakes when trying to automate a process?

I'm three weeks into my first technical job and have been trying to teach myself AutoIt to script some of my tasks. Today I needed to perform some basic repetitive keystrokes on a local text file. I came close to royally screwing up when the script I wrote went in an infinite loop of keystrokes on whatever the active window was. I had multiple Explorer windows open, and the global escape in the script didn't work and poo poo started happening really quick I tried the traditional methods of closing a program. Ended up having to force shutdown the computer. In the end nothing was lost or harmed but I know I screwed up and it was definitely a learning process.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus christ dude, why would you have a script running keypresses like that in what I presume was a production environment? There has to be a better way of doing that.

Because I'm an idiot and thought that running a simple script on a text file that I had saved to my desktop wasn't a big deal. I thought I was being safe because I created a copy of the text file for me to run the script on, just in case of issues. Definitely a lesson learned.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Really, the script was about as simple as you could get. Ideally, it would wait for the Window["Notepad"] to be in focus then it would start at the end of the top line, send {backspace} x 4, send {downkey} then {ENDkey}. Then loop over that 100 times.

I ran into several issues. I accidentally created an infinite WHILE loop, and with each loop, I did not make the script check to see if Window["Notepad"] was focused.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
After my scare last week with AutoIt, I've been trying to work with it a little more. Yesterday my group was tasked with inserting medications into a program for testing purposes, and the steps were extremely consistent for each task. So I decided to try and use another script. I still used recorded keystrokes and mouseclicks but I built in some safety features such as global script-breaks, ensuring the script only works on the proper window, and small pauses between each command.

It was a great success! There were about 25 entries, and each entry took anywhere from 10 - 15 minutes when completed by hand. My script could finish each entry in less than 1 minute.

I won't lie, as someone new to this field, it felt kind of good to learn something, create it and have it work in a real-world environment. :3:

• Locked thread