Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Walter_Sobchak posted:

I'd be afraid of what would happen to the printers if the IT guys got guns.

I'd love would happen to the printers if the IT guys got guns. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

skipdogg posted:

"Other duties as assigned" now the copier toilet is jammed can you look at it?

Close.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I don't have a car so I walk 45 minutes to work each day. I quite like it :shobon:

The biggest thing I think I miss from University is the ~30 minute walk. Nothing quite like a nice walk at the start and end of the day listening to music and enjoying the weather frozen wasteland of Canada.

I wish I could do the same for work, but I need to go to too many sites with gear.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 10, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cardboard Fox posted:

All I've been doing is lab work for the past couple of weeks and I've hit a stall when it comes to imaging. I just don't know what software is currently the best to learn. I have a server set up with WDS that I use to deploy images through PXE to other virtual machines. Yet, every time I do research on google, all I hear about is IT dudes using Ghost, Acronis, Clonezilla, and even some new thing called Project Fog. Should I just stick with WDS or am I better off trying to learn a third party software if there is a greater chance that I'll be using it?

My division dropped Ghost for WDS. If I had to say, WDS to MDT or SCCM would probably be a good bet to learn. Most other school divisions in the region use some combination of the above as well, with very few still using third party.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

psydude posted:

Got contacted by a recruiter at Aruba. Anyone worked for them/with their stuff? I'm trying to get out of the DC area, but it sounds like an interesting position for when I'm in the job market again.

We use Aruba stuff for our division's wireless network, as do quite a few of the school districts around here. I'm not the most knowledgeable, but for the most part it's easy to set up, very configurable, and performance has been rock solid.

The few times I've had to talk with their engineers have been good experiences too.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
And having a touch screen device that, if the need arises, you can actually do work on is extremely convenient. My surface pro has been such a time saver.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Not exactly what you're looking for, but I'm running the Xerox XDA here, and it's monitoring our HPs, Samsungs, and Toshibas, et. al. as well as our Xerox devices. It's even found a few non-printer devices. It is a pretty ugly application, but it works well enough for the most part.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bob Morales posted:

Apparently there's an email from a few years back from 'my boss' that said "All UNIX permissions should be 777"

He just wanted to win the jackpot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
.local used to be used quite a bit, and will probably work fine. It's not regarded as best practice, as other things (apple likes it especially) will use .local, and it may cause issues. It's probably fine though.

Someone else's tld seems like a really weird or lovely thing to do, but if it's just some home lab or something, and you can keep your internal dns properly set up it will probably work fine. Weird though.

I think best practice is generally to use a subdomain. If you own goats.com, ad.goats.com is the way to go.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I want to print some copies of that out just to throw it in the trash.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Acc-Risk posted:

And why is that? It's honest, with nothing embellished.

It just seems to be the resume of some hotshot reditor who thinks he's the king of comedy, but also extremely skilled at everything. I got a chuckle out of it, so if it's a joke I dig it.

If it's a serious resume, well, I've seen resumes nearly as bad.

Edit: I was talking about the one Paladine posted. Not yours, if that was a misunderstanding.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Fenrisulfr posted:

Now I'm no electrical engineer, but something about this video seems suspect: Adjust your capacitors!

Yeah, he should be using a triwing screwdriver on those caps, not a Phillips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sepist posted:

Someone submitted a 12 page resume to our open position. 12 pages, 1/5th is relevant experience.

How? That's insane I don't think I could write a 12 page life story.

• Locked thread