Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

psydude posted:

So if your job is your life, but it also provides everything you need, both on a basic and a social level, then is that necessarily a bad thing? It's a Brave New World.

Orgy porgy sounds like a lot less fun when it's with a bunch of CS grads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
If there is a single Windows XP computer left in my district come April I'm going to consider it a personal failure. Doesn't stop me from getting software in the mail with floppy disk authentication keys and Windows 98 setup guides :allears:

Today my day sucked because my coworker gave out my personal cell phone number, one that I have never given out to anyone but him, to an on-site vendor for no discernible reason. I have a company cell phone. Today I had 5 missed calls and 3 voice mails from three different people. One guy couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting a wireless connection on the copier he was installing. "We copied all of the settings exactly from the old one," he says, "you can go check it out over there."

He sure did copy the settings exactly, including the static IP, from the first machine, one that was still connected to the network.

But I did find out that I'm getting an early review at the end of the month and it's pretty much guaranteed to be a glowing one :) YOTP!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
My dad's firm just got hit with Cryptolocker, glad I don't work there

"List of drive shares with possible corrupted files (not all files were impacted): H: Drive, F: Drive, L: Drive, M: Drive, N: Drive, O: Drive, P: Drive, R: Drive, S: Drive, T: Drive, Q: Drive, Y: Drive"

The CIO says he will update them when backup tapes become available :o: Cloud storage is the bees knees yall~

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
The only nonverbal test I ever had to take was at an HR firm that scouted executive talent for huge corporations, and they issued me the talent test with no warning. I had 60 seconds timed per question to answer an hour's worth of extremely difficult math/logic/language problems, then had to spend two hours doing thematic aptitude testing, where I wrote five or six 300-word stories based on pictures of people doing things.

I was interviewing for a temp job supporting a database :wtc:

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 16, 2013

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

GreatGreen posted:

So it looks like I have to have Windows Preinstallation Environment installed to create a bootable image?

I don't have that, and google isn't helping. Is this software only available behind a paywall or something?

You were given convuluted advice by people who know how to do cool things. If you're imaging 20 pieces of identical hardware, set up one exactly like you need it, then take a disc image with a program like Macrium Reflect (free and works on newer, UEFI only computers) and deploy that image onto the rest of the hardware either with a network location or a with plain old external HDD. Basic computer imaging to identical hardware is nothing more than backup and recovery, but you are recovering the backup to multiple computers. If you're rolling out your image to different hardware, you will need to strip out the system specific hardware IDs and registry values by running sysprep, which is a utility built into Windows.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

penga86 posted:

Not sure how easy it would be to implement, but there is always Prey:

http://preyproject.com/

$399 - Up to 500 devices
$99 - Up to 100 devices
$39 - Up to 30 devices
$15 - Up to 10 devices
$5 - Up to 3 devices

Holy poo poo that looks incredibly intrusive. If your employees ever found out about what that software can do they would riot

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Today I had a network outage that was apparently in just the right place to enable a little Mac shop/OSX server to take network authority for 700 users. It filled my DHCP lease table with 65,000 bad addresses almost instantaneously. I never really considered how hard this could brick the internal DNS while it was getting resolved - It was faster to set people up on 8.8.8.8 for the day than to use the DCs

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Hawzy posted:

Does anyone have experience re-negotiating salaries as a contractor? I'm trying to figure out what a fair cut the contracting company should take. Currently I'm making $39/hr and my position is contracted out at $60. So the contracting company is making $21 for every hour I work - which seems ridiculous to me. Also for this position there are absolutely no benefits to add in except for like 7 paid holidays a year when the office is closed (x-mas etc)

I had a staffing company who did absolutely nothing for me and they were getting ~35% of my check too. They had taken a couple weeks to return my email, so I wondered out loud where all of the extra money was going. He said that the chunk was "no­t as large as you may cons­ider. Our costs also include heavy state costs of pay­roll tax, unemp­loyment fees, insur­ance fees, benefits fees, workman’s comp, and our general business costs. While you do not take ma­ny of these, they are still mar­ked up costs we have to pay to the state"

Then he gave me a raise of less than a dollar. Thanks dude.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I got that once and think it's a pretty good question. It would let me see if someone would jump right into the equipment/technical issue or would lead off with who they were going to help and how that might affect the next steps. Do I know this person? Do they like phone support or prefer in person? Do they like explanations or do they just want me to get it done? And maybe most importantly to person doing the interview: Is it an executive/partner?

Sperging for 15 minutes about ticket workflow would also be hysterical

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 22, 2013

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
All Day I Dream About ESx

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Here comes the pain, within a year it's time for BYOD in my building. Over the past year, and in preparation for this policy, I have migrated every single mission critical piece of data offsite and brought in SaaS wherever I possibly can. The only thing that I host on site is AD/DNS/DHCP mirrored on two DCs plus some little bullshit here and there like a Rosetta Stone server.

My bases...should be covered. I'm running behind a Watchguard XTM 850. But deep down I know that the only possible way this story will end is with massive security breach and me getting fired.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
My rough guess for 2 solid hosts, a SAN, and a couple gigabit switches would be around $50-70k? VDI as a platform can be free if you need it to be but obviously something like a VMWare license will cost you

edit: im talking out of my rear end re: speccing out a VDI infrastructure. DAF would probably have an estimate based on reality

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 28, 2013

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Thanks for the advice guys. I tense up when I see bad DNS packets. I got locked in my building once playing detective work when someone tried to hit me with a DHCP exhaust. I'm going to have to negotiate for spa/massage coupons at my review this year :smith:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Jeoh posted:

Well, that's what NAP is for.

The strangers who come into my building tend to be some of the most important people. Is NAP as much of a liability as I have been lead to believe? I don't have staff to deal with the limited access zone loving up on weekends

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Go in there and tell them to go cloud services for everything. Gut all of your awful servers, tools, and time wasting things. Buying servers in a small office is not worth it.

6 years is not that bad anyway, it's not like the capacitors are going to start blowing up (like they might on the motherboard of your 15 year old PBX server, for instance). Even then, overnighting a mobo from a computer shop in Eastern Europe was way cheaper than buying a new server. Everything else you can replace yourself

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

The Third Man posted:

I have my first phone interview tomorrow, and I've never really done one of these before and am pretty nervous, anyone here more experienced than me able to offer some advice? The position would be in wireless networking at the university where I work, and I'm trying to break out of tier 1 support. I'm assuming they are primarily just going to be screening out unqualified candidates, and the questions will mostly be technical in nature. Is there anything in particular I should be prepared for?

I would make sure you know what the IP 169.254.x.x represents, as well as common service ports like HTTPS, FTP, mail protocols.

Switches have MAC address switching tables, hubs are horrible clusterfucks on every level and should be ripped out of the wall.

Also know the 4 step DHCP process, which messages come from the server and which ones from the client

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 9, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
MacBook Pro default booting into Windows 7 :c00l: gently caress a OSX but I love that touchpad/backlit KB

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

hackedaccount posted:

500k a year? No thanks, I'm making 3 million.

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-go...ery-year-2014-1

(no that's not me)

I can picture what it's like working at Google. It's 8PM and you're starting to pack your things up and leave for the day. A minute before you leave, your manager knocks on the door with caviar, champagne, and a custom bathrobe with your initials embroidered on it, and asks if you had a second to go over some project items.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Anyone have experience with a volume purchase of Dell Optiplex 3011 All-In-Ones? I'm looking at the i3-3220, Windows 7 pro model for $630 a unit. They would be replacing C2D fatty desktops with 1024x768 monitors :gonk:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I'm a Systems Analyst :smug: Because the term administrator confuses people in academia.

And over half of the systems that I'm responsible for are network services, so there is definitely a lot of overlap between sys/network admin work and it's hard to learn one without learning the other

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

GreenNight posted:

I support around 250 users and we don't have a ticketing system and never will. The president says it removes the personal touch. Shrug. Fine by me.

I'm weird like that too, so I gutted our client facing ticket system and switched to an internally logged JIRA system. My guys log and resolve all of their own tickets, so I have all of the SLA data ready for my boss, and I still get to yap on the phone with my wonderful coworkers

An unfortunate side effect of how awesome JIRA is is how easy things like this are to look up :gonk:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
A giant box full of 10G switches came in! But umm...wait. These are purple. Like REALLY purple. I changed my mind I'll pay the Cisco premium :gonk:

Coupled with the bright red firewall this may be the tackiest MDF ever engineered

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Haha yes we bought Extreme gear. Livewire and Code Red are convincing enough VLAN names for data and management, right?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Gigabit Metro Ethernet here :smug: We are a bandwidth sensitive building though, our service goal was to allow 75% of users to stream HD video at any given time

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
IIRC it's the Resume2Interviews template from SA-Mart. Mine owns too :)

Can I get some feedback on repairing projectors? We have 5-6 Dell 4210X DLP projectors in the building and the color wheels are starting to pop and make some awful grinding noises. The part is $80 and this thing looks loving impossible to take apart much less fix, so doing this internally is probably out of the question. Is there a good company that will take these things in for repair? I would really rather just buy short throw projectors for everyone so the worse news the better.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Tab8715 posted:

Anyone care to comment or affected by Lenovo's purchase of IBMs x86 hardware? I work for a IBM partner and were all waiting to see what happens...

...And I just learned that Lenovo isn't a subsidiary :raise: Were they just licensing the ThinkPad?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Just inherited a sexy* virtual machine host and a 10K SAN :clint:

What I am going to do with it, I have no idea. But if my boss was like...hey I need 80 webservers like yesterday. I would be on top of that so hard.

Should be fun to play around with at least, maybe I'll go VDI for our weekend testing environments or something'

*Just kidding it's a Poweredge T410

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Are people from going to show up and recruit from big data and security firms? Is it a grad school pitch? I don't get the stipend unless it's from somewhere you're already enrolled

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

YOTJ update:Eh, so I talked with that guy who was tentatively give me a new job. He low balled me, and between increased operating costs on my end and a lack of benefits, I rejected the new job offer

He probably knows what an amazing opportunity it is. Skipping the helpdesk phase of your career has immeasurable value.

But you were probably right to reject anyway, the implicit on-call hours and headaches that come from bringing hour job home with you would never be worth less than ~40k to me regardless of location/opportunity

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Verdugo posted:

I'd be going from 7:30-4 M-F to 11:45p-7a M-F with every other weekend on, with overtime. It's a Fed Civilian job instead of government contract work, and about a 5k raise.

This will destroy your sleep schedule, sanity, and social life. The only thing worse for your physical and mental health than 3rd shift would be one of those 36 hour rotating dealios

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Posting from the access layer :getin:

The firewall is doing deep packet inspection too.

Before we upgraded all of the equipment and brought in the new ISP I had to pre-download all of the ISOs I might need that day at home ;_;

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 20, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Looks like you missed out on most of the Windows 2000 -> Windows XP migration too. Too bad, could have been a great opportunity.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Helpdesk may not be the ideal way to break in to the industry, but it's the only way. You may learn a lot, you may not, but it's good experience regardless, and unless you're in megacorp, you will get some exposure to networking and system administration along the way. IT is a great industry for shadowing more experienced professionals, and many of those guys have done their time as a ditch-digger, too

E: In America at least, the CompTIA A+ cert is your golden ticket to entry level contract work and I assume it's a valid cert in the UK as well. Takes 30-50 hours of self-study to pass

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 25, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
e: nvm

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
The 10GigE is in. Just unracked and decomissioned all of our 2950's, a 3750, and two of these :stare:

The future is so bright :angel:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Just don't use the term "attached please find my resume" - it's kind of a given :downs:

I prefer cover letters to be succinct, personal, and passionate but there are always people who will say "spell out your personal accomplishments and SELL YOUR EMPLOYER" but I'm pretty sure most HR departments don't even read them

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Financial "aid" is also a 6.8% interest loan, regardless of your credit history, whereas in the past the money was 1.5-2% interest (making it effectively free)

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Veskit posted:

Is there a good program that will allow me to force a popup window on others computers if they also have the program? I guess email isn't good enough.

RIP net send :(

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 11, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Bob Morales posted:

BMW lease payment is a lot cheaper than a dinner + drinks a couple nights a month, or even a single pair of shoes/handbag.

No matter which way I spin the numbers I'm coming up with at least $550 a month and $4K down to lease a 2013 Z4, closer to $800 :ssh: I'm really good at jokes tho so maybe there was some whoosh i missed

And that's to rent the loving car hahaha why do people do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Profile Manager!! Brand new to iOS7 and OSX 10.9 server and the true MDM extension of the Configurator. There is absolutely no feedback or logging when something doesn't work as intended but so far I haven't had any persistent problems

e: It also does floating licenses which makes it a no brainer compared to old school volume purchasing

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 13, 2014

• Locked thread