Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wanted to touch a little on the hiring/interview aspects of IT as well. I'm not a hiring manager but we do team based interviews and I've been involved with those for about the last 5 years, and I'd like to think my voice carries quite a bit of weight with my boss. The following is my opinion based on my experience with my current company. The last guy we hired didn't even interview with our VP he said "If you believe he's the right guy for the job, I trust you, this one is on you if it doesn't work out". The guy's worked out great so far.

Technical Proficiency is not the most important thing when trying to get an IT job. It's probably my 3rd most important qualification. When we interview I look for 2 things first.

Personality: Can we get along with this guy? You spend more time at work with your co-workers than most people do with their families all week. Interpersonal relationships are very important. Bringing someone into the team that doesn't 'fit' personality wise can be a killer and affect the entire team. Is this the kind of guy to talk down to non technical people? That's a personal pet peeve of mine. The HR lady isn't there to be technical, don't be condescending because she's having issues accessing a 'shared drive', or printing duplex. Everyone serves a purpose in the organization

Can we trust this person? We're not looking for the most technically proficient candidate, but we need to get the impression that we can trust you. Will you accomplish what you say you will? Will you own up to your mistakes? Everyone makes mistakes, but trying to cover them up instead of getting in front of them is usually not good. Are you a cowboy? We had a network engineer a few years ago that just had this cowboy attitude. Making changes during business hours without running it by anyone, not following change control procedures or getting business unit owners approvals. He didn't last long. Yes the red tape in corporate can be frustrating, but it's there for a reason. We're a global company and just because you make a change at 8AM west coast doesn't mean it isn't affecting the folks on the east coast and in Europe. That gentleman didn't last too long. He was very technically proficient, probably the most knowledgeable network engineer we ever hired when it comes to straight technical knowledge but he didn't play well with others or followed the rules and was shown the door.

Now we get to the technical knowledge. We decide to talk to folks based on their resume, but remember, job postings are 'Wish Lists' for candidates. It's very unlikely anyone is going to hit every single skill bullet point we're looking for. We're really looking for someone that hits a fair bit of them and shows us during the interview that they could get up to speed in a reasonable manner in our environment. This means don't be shy about apply for jobs because you don't have X qualification that's listed. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by applying for a job. If they want 5 years of VMware and you only have 3, who cares? Apply anyway. Or you use NetApp but they are an EMC shop. I'm sure you can get up to speed on the differences pretty quickly, go ahead an apply.

I'm going to question you on what you put on your resume, it is unacceptable for you to list a skill but then not be able to back it up, but if you don't list it and I ask you about it and you say you don't know well that's totally fine. Here's an example from the last position we hired. I used to handle servers and desktops for a 450 seat call center so scripting and automation was big for me.

Me: I see you've listed powershell scripting as a skill on your resume, tell me about a script you put together and what it did and how it saved you some time. (I'm not looking for specifics, just a general answer like oh I needed to change X setting on X computers so I threw together a powershell script that took a text file list of computers and changed the setting remotely, or I used powershell to run a weekly report of free disk space on servers)

Candidate 1: Oh well you know I don't really have too much powershell experience. He bullshitted his experience on the resume and that immediately makes us question everything else on his resume.

Candidate 1 is pretty much not getting the job at this point because we can't trust him.

Candidate 2 didn't list powershell or scripting experience on his resume

Me: So Candidate 2 do you have any experience with using powershell or any other kind of scripting?

Candidate2: No, not really. I haven't really used scripting before.

Ok, no problem, I was just fishing for something not on his resume to ask questions. This isn't a positive or negative in my eyes since it wasn't listed on his resume. Obviously someone with powershell scripting would be more desirable than someone without, but this answer didn't disqualify him in my eyes.

Candidate 3 - Has some bash/perl scripting experience listed on his resume since he managed Linux systems at a previous job, no Windows scripting listed on resume

Me: So do you have any experience with Windows scripting? Powershell, VBS? Anything like that?

Candidate 3: A little bit. I've googled how to do things and put some basic scripts together to accomplish a few things, but I wouldn't consider myself proficient with Windows scripting

That right there is a good answer. He didn't bullshit us on his resume, was candid about his skills and showed he has the initiative to figure something out on his own by piecing something together off google. Candidate 3 ended up proceeding in the interview process.

In a nutshell, be personable, be honest, and don't bullshit us and you have a good shot at getting the job.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GreenNight posted:

My girlfriend is a Java contractor at an insurance company. She started in May and her contract was for 1 year. She was just notified that her contract has been extended until the end of 2014. Should she discuss a raise at the end of the 1 year (next May)? I've never worked contract so I'm not sure what to tell her.

What kind of contractor is she? I know for us having contractors work more than 6 months a year for us puts us in some legal minefield where people in California start suing for employee benefits.

If she's a W-2 contractor through some kind of staffing firm like Volt or Robert Half, her compensation is between her and the contracting company. (Volt is the employer, who assigns her to work at Company X. The contract exists between Volt and Company X).

If she's 1099 where she directly bills the company she is doing work for then the contract language will deal with what happens if the contract is extended etc. (example: I contract myself out through my LLC skipdogg enterprise consulting, and Company X agrees to pay me XXX,XXX dollars a year for my services or a defined project according to a statement of work (SOW)).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

In that scenario the odds of her getting a raise are probably pretty slim. She'll probably need to job hop if she wants a raise. It could happen, but probably won't.

The way contracts like that work is the big company, say IBM tells Volt that they need 20 Java Programmers for a 1 year project. Volt says, OK, we'll place them but it'll cost you $100 dollars an hour. Now IBM agrees to that rate because they don't have to deal with any of the normal hiring BS. No paperwork, no benefits, no taxes, it's a flat rate operating expense for the project, easier to handle on the corporate books as well and they're not adding FTE's to the payroll.

So Volt needs to cover their overhead (recruiters, payroll, taxes, profits) so their cap on filling this position is 55/hr for the actual person going to be doing the work. They go hire the person, then assign them to work at IBM and pay them 55/hr while billing IBM 100/hr for it.

Long story short, she might be able to get some more money out of them, but it will cut into their profits which make the commissioned folks grumpy. If this is an entry level gig they probably won't have a problem replacing her with the next new graduate that is really happy to be making real job money. Like everything its supply/demand.

edit: On a personal level I hate long term W-2 contracts, the person performing the work is the one getting hosed in most cases. They're working in the same facility as actual company employees, doing work that is just as important but not getting the benefits of being an actual company employee. Many places contractors are treated like second class citizens. I think it's fine for short term work, but anything over 6 months I see as just terrible.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 26, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Texas is a loving hotbed of tech jobs right now. DFW is always needing IT folks, Austin is loving hipster central and lots of companies are shifting operations from California to Austin. Apple, Cisco, thechive.com, General Motors opened a big IT center in Austin. Houston has a massive need for IT with all their energy company HQ's down there, and San Antonio is home to Rackspace, Joint Base San Antonio and has a fair bit of tech and energy companies around as well.

Not to mention cost of living here rocks. I live like a loving king out here compared to guys making double my salary in the bay area.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GOOCHY posted:

I've been around awhile and even I had to think for a little bit to come up with 5 record types. The last one I thought of was SPF...

A, CNAME, PTR, MX... uhhhhhhh... :eng99:

Chalk it up to not dealing with it that much. That's one I might have done deer-in-headlights under pressure.

Windows guys should be able to answer SRV to that question.

Caged posted:

I got to A, AAAA, CNAME, MX, TXT and SRV but don't ask me to explain the last two. Never considered PTR.

SRV is easy, and you rarely have to mess with them. Just resource records for services.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961719.aspx

holy crap there are a lot of dns record types

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DNS_record_types

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 28, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Alereon posted:

What do "real companies" (~1000+ employees) typically set their exchange mailbox quotas to? We use <500MB which seems pretty small for this day and age, especially since employees are directed to archive to their local harddrive.

Before we outsourced to what was BPOS and is now Office365 it depended on how important the person was. Management got 1GB. Normal workers got 500Megs. Task workers got 250. Attachments capped at 10mb.

Now everyone gets 25GB cause we give no fucks

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Just putting thoughts together right now but I want some additional input for the OP updates.

What do you guys look for in an ideal candidate in <name position>?

My post earlier in this thread goes into some of this

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=418754495&forumid=22

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Anyone have any tips for dealing with chronic interrupters during teleconferences?

e: other than :fuckoff:

You have to be a bit of a dick, but a "Hey lets stay on track and save all questions until the end, or lets let Jane finish the presentation before we ask questions" usually gets the point across. Other than that, if you're the moderator mute their line from the bridge lol

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Gah I didn't even get to work on the OP at all this studying for this beta certification exam has me tied up...

It's Labor Day dude. Go do something not computer related. Have a drink, grill a steak, go to a state park and take a walk. Jesus dude. I'm driving back from the beach and haven't checked my email since Wednesday.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

"Other duties as assigned" now the copier is jammed can you look at it?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'd be more than happy to check it out.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What the hell is a brogrammer?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, hire a datacenter consultant. I've been involved with building 3 server rooms and have done it wrong 3 different times. Don't be me.

Both Eaton or APC/Schneider will help you build your data center if you're buying their stuff.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

I've seen them around in literally every big enterprise but are they impossible to virtualize? Too expensive to recode everything into a modern language? How can you even get hardware for this stuff still?

IBM makes a loving fortune selling and maintaining AS400 compatible hardware. They still make it and people still buy it.

Say you have a 24/7/365 system in a mega enterprise that does everything you need it to do, still works great, and you have a workforce of 30,000 people trained on using it. You're not going to rip it out and replace it with something that will run on x64 for no reason. It's much cheaper to just keep the current system going than the costs to port, migrate, and retrain everyone.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I thought my commute was bad. 77 miles door to door each way, but it's straight up I-35 and takes just over an hour.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wouldn't do it under normal circumstances, I don't want to get into it, but my net commute time is basically zero.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Apply anyway. Remember these things are wish lists. The worst thing that can happen is you not working there which is already the current situation. You update your resume?

Also reach out to any industry contacts you have and let them know you're looking for work. Personal networking is responsible for most peoples jobs.

Oh and make sure your LinkedIn account is fully fleshed out. It's a major recruiting tool

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sepist posted:

Early draft, I guess I harped right on the negatives. Good point that I shouldn't keep it written in such an unfavorable way. I don't particularly like small shops so I am surprised that my own writing comes off that way. I should probably make the budget part more :allears: as I am definitely basing it on my own budget talk experiences.

I personally love the size of company I'm working for right now. Big enough to have a nice budget and get the things we need, not so big the entire place is drowning in red tape.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Until about 2 years ago our Avaya CMS for a 800+ seat call center environment that did major revenue was running on a Sunblade 150 workstation. We finally upgraded to 16.x a while back.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Spudalicious posted:

So I just gave up a (low paying) cushy government job to go work for an observatory that has every system on its own, no centralized authentication, no policies regarding pretty much anything. Also they run a mix of :siren:dos:siren:,osx, linux, unix, and windows (every version).

So I'm coming in to a mess, which was made abundantly clear during interviews, but they pay is like 40% more than I was making. I'm fairly used to this in my it consultation side gig but it's never been on this scale.

What do you guys think should be the list of priorities for this place. I'd like to start with centralized user accounts and authentication, along with storage. There's a lot of old timers here that are going to be resistant to change. My plan of attack is to find out what beer everyone likes and then get them that beer, then introduce some sort of plan whilst they are all under the influence.

Your first priority is to spend a month figuring out what all the systems do, and why things are the way they are. THEN you can worry about slowly implementing changes. Don't go in all Captain IT my way is better. You may find something that immediately seems dumb actually works out for their unique situation.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FISHMANPET posted:

we need to remember that we exist to enable people to do the work of the business.

This should be in a big bold glittery font in the OP. I support a small office of software engineers in addition to the global infrastructure of my company. It's my job to make sure they have the IT support and resources so they can do their job. I view IT as a facilitator not a dictator. How can IT help

If Engineering comes to IT with a demand, it's our job to figure out options, get pricing, and let management decide which way to go, not to dictate to engineering how they need to do something.

Also remember inter office politics is a real thing. A co-worker recently was told by his boss that folks generally had a negative perception of him. He's a great IT guy, gets his work done, but he stays holed up in his area with the door closed all day. People thought he was short, and unapproachable when they had a problem. His boss asked him to just take a lap around the building a couple times a week and shoot the poo poo with folks, ask them if they need anything. After a couple months the perception of him changed. His work didn't change, just his perception from other folks. Now they see he's a friendly approachable guy and end users are happier with IT's support even though nothing really changed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Budget issues are a nightmare. I get into this stuff all the time and it can suck. I work on the Infrastructure Team at my company, we cover the core infra that the entire company uses. Active Directory, Storage, Servers, Email, etc. End User hardware is always charged to the cost center of the employee. If they want a 3500 dollar MBP Retina, no problem but it's coming out of your budget, oh and it's not an IT approved machine so support is best effort and I'm not standing in line at the Fruit Stand when it needs to be fixed. I did that twice and wasted half a day each time. You want full IT support, you get a Dell where they come to us to fix machines.

Infra hardware we pay for. We paid for the new VMware setup and VNXe SAN I recently brought up..but I have a feeling engineering will be asking for way more disk space than they originally asked for and I'm pretty sure we'll make them buy the extra shelf for it. We're pretty good at compromising on issues like that though. Business software team needed a new VMware cluster for a special application, they bought the server hardware and VMware licenses, we covered the SAN space and handle the VM/OS level support.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You're in healthcare IT? That's a special level of hell. I'm sorry

Erkenntnis posted:

The only real caveat is that it's a 1099 position, which I might have a couple questions about for those that have done them before.

1099? Why? 1099's can be good, but they're also commonly used to take advantage of people.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Inspector_71 posted:

I was a contractor-to-hire at the place I'm working right now, in NY, which is at-will.

W-2 contracting or contract to hire positions are different than 1099 jobs.

1099 jobs *should* only be used for short term contract work, usually based of a Statement Of Work with clearly defined deliverables.

An example of an appropriate 1099 contract job:

Company X needs a custom Sharepoint site created which shouldn't take longer than 2 months and they will pay 30,000 for the work. The person doing the work doesn't have a set schedule, does not use company resources or computers to accomplish his work, and goes on his merry way once the contract is over.

The IRS says

quote:

The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done.

If you're being told how to do your work, have an expected schedule, and all the other trappings of a normal job, that is cut and dry 1099 contract abuse.

As far as a 1099 premium I've seen anywhere from 1.5 X to 3 X where X is the expected hourly/weekly rate for an equivalent W-2 job with a decent benefit package.

If you would make 30 dollars an hour doing the work for a normal company I would expect you to be charging at least 70+ dollars an hour on a 1099 contract. You're losing out on self employment taxes, health insurance, 401K match, unemployment insurance, etc.

I really hate companies that abuse IT folks with 1099 contracts because they're too cheap to hire employees. W-2 contractors have their uses, but I feel bad for them as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KetTarma posted:

There's a chance that my friend might be getting me a really good full time job at his company. I'm currently a full time student in a program not directly related to IT. If they give me an offer of close to what my friend says they will, I plan on taking it and dropping my classes for the semester since they require immediate start.

should I:
-Re-enroll in spring in part time night classes and graduate around 2019 because my college only offers some classes once a year
-Do something like WGU

This place apparently has a good tuition/cert reimbursement plan, if that matters. Plus I still have 27 months of GI bill coverage left.

I just wanted to mention that WGU is getting some competition. I saw on a different forum that Nothern Arizona University and the University of Wisconsin are starting WGU like programs (competancy based, 6 month all you can handle terms, cheap tuition) but with the added benefit of not having to explain what WGU is. I'm almost done with WGU, I just have my capstone left to finish, and while it's not a bad program a good part of me wishes some of these programs from more traditional schools were around when I started a couple of years ago.

http://ecampus.wisconsin.edu/online-degree-programs/flex-option.aspx
http://pl.nau.edu/HowItWorks.aspx

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KetTarma posted:

Have either of you had problems or heard of problems with employers not accepting the WGU degree?
What if I wanted to go for a MS degree afterwards?

I haven't heard of any issues to be honest. I know some organizations are starting to put accreditation requirements in their job postings (State of Louisiana), but since the degree is fully accredited it's a non issue.

I've heard with good GRE scores getting a brick and mortar Masters or MBA isn't an issue either. I'm in Texas and technically part of WGU Texas, so I think that may make it easier if I wanted to get a masters from a state school. A&M just opened a campus in San Antonio not too long ago.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The hardest part of IT is getting your foot in the door. Once you get your first IT job moving to others is easy. Getting someone to take that first chance though... that's hard. I don't have resume advice for you, but make sure you are out there networking like crazy and your linkedin is filled out to 100%.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

WGU is great for it's target demographic. I was 29 years old when I started, gainfully employed in the IT industry, but only finished my AAS many years ago. I have a wife, kids, a full time job, there was not a degree program in my area that would allow me to finish a bachelors degree in a reasonable amount of time. My IT career has been fine, and I could go on without a degree, but I was chasing some positions at companies that required a 4 year, I couldn't get past the recruiter/HR to get to the hiring manger.

WGU will leverage my 7 years of IT experience, give me the ability to work at my own pace, when I can, and get me that degree in a reasonable amount of time.

Night courses at the local colleges would have taken me at least 5 to 7 years to finish a degree, cost a lot more, and wouldn't have been as flexible. WGU seems to have a good reputation, and I will say I've put just as much work into courses at WGU than I ever did at community college or Arizona State.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Certifications are designed to be a compliment to work experience, not a substitute. I would never let a CCNA or any freshly certified person loose on my network without real world experience. If I had a entry level/Jr. position open I might take a chance on you, but you'd be working under someone experienced watching you like a hawk.

That isn't me taking a shot at you, it's just the way things are. Taking a test and passing is different than having experience in how things work in a production environment. Imagine you're hiring for a Jr network position. You have 3 candidates

1: 2 years networking experience with Cisco technologies
2: 1 year networking experience but has CCNA
3: 0 years networking experience, but has CCNA

Who do you want to talk to most?

The Third Man posted:

Is it really that hard to break into networking? :(

It's that hard to break into anything IT related really. Everyone wants one of those high paying computers jobs they hear about on TV. Specialized IT jobs are hard to fill right now, which is probably the issue Misogynist ran into. I know we took over 7 months to fill a Sr. Level sysadmin job in the bay area. If you have RHCE and are familiar with soruce control systems and chef/puppet you can't possibly be unemployed right now.

Entry level jobs though, not as much supply on those. There are people with Comptia and other entry level certs working in our call center making 10 bucks an hour doing ISP tech support over the phone because they can't get hired to an entry level IT gig.

I know I'm being a debbie downer, but once you get that break, that foot in the door, that first 6 months of paid experience it's so much easier. Getting someone to give you that break is the hard part. That's why I personally stress networking(the people kind), internships, hell even volunteer work to get that initial experience on the record. Yes it sounds like a catch-22, and sometimes it can be. You have to work through it though.

Certifications can be useful, but they're not the end all be all of IT. I actively HIDE my certifications from my co-workers. We don't really care about them at my current job and I don't let anyone know that I have them. I work with some great people and many of them don't have a cert to their name.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We fired a guy about 6 years ago, and about 6 months later we ran into his resume online. On his resume he listed networking experience with Cisco 6500 series switches and Juniper firewalls.

He and I racked that equipment. That was it. Put it in the rack and plugged some cables in so the networking team could connect up to it from a remote location.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FISHMANPET,

It's just not worth pursuing. Nothing you say/do/yell is going to change anything. This is an organizational issue* and nothing you do is going to change that.

Also, quit hating. You're pissed because someone else got something you wanted. You can't be pissed about that. Life isn't fair. Instead of focusing on the training money those people got, you should be focused on how to get YOU some training money. For all you know 3 levels above you someone decided those folks needed Chef training and got them the funding.

Why not go to whomever you want to talk to about this and say "Hey, I noticed Lisa and Frank went to Chef training and I think some training could really help me be more effective in my job. Here's some information on this course I would really like to take, and here's how it would benefit the company. Do you think we could find some training funds for this course or put it into next years budget?"

If you go in there like a whiny child you're going to be dismissed and not taken seriously.

*organizational issues are lovely command structures, undocumented policies, etc.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What is it they say about arguing on the internet again?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Last drink i had was a couple of beers on the Fourth of July.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

evol262 posted:

MENSA has yearly dues, but it's so full of spergs that only the gooniest people renew. Presumably his intention is to say "I'm smart enough to be a MENSA member and I could rejoin any time I wanted to prove it", but it's so :downs: anyway...

My personal feeling on MENSA is anyone who is smart enough to be a part of MENSA, but actually wants to be a part of that group...well I'm probably not going to get along with them.

underlig posted:

Today it became official that my colleague will YOTJ in a few weeks.

Not quite sure what i feel about that, will mean it's just me and the IT Manager in the IT department, i'm going to be carrying all the lvl1 crap as well as probably having to order stuff which is the part of my job that i hate each and every time i have to do it.

It's also kind of obvious that my career in the company pretty much stops here, my boss isn't going to quit and even if he did i would't be able to do what he does even if i had 10 years to learn it.
Personal development will just be courses / certifications, something i've not really wanted to do before either. I learn (badly) by working with it, i'm not investing in knowledge to be able to get a better job later because of my crappy confidence and not really looking forward to anything.

I'm confused by this post?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

underlig posted:

As am i, sorry dude i'm not sure what i wanted to say.

We're more than willing to help out and support you in any way, just need to know what direction you want to go to.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

How many of you have strict hours?

I just moved to a job where I I have to be at work before 8am and I cannot leave until 5pm. No short lunches - no wiggle room. Reason, because management is nitpicky.

My last job - as long as your work is done and you don't miss any meetings. Nobody gave a gently caress I would in around 830 and leave at 430. My manager would push back on other managers when I wasn't available.

I left for more money but it's clear that money isn't all it's made out to be

I don't have strict hours at all. I'm in a remote office from one of the main corp sites so no one really notices if I come and go and my boss is happy as long as I get my work done. He understands some weeks are 30ish hours, and some are 50ish and things balance out over the year. The next 6 weeks will probably be pretty busy for me, but we go into change freeze after Thanksgiving and it's strictly break/fix until after New Years. There's a lot of work from home and short days during change freeze as our projects are all wound up, but we come back and hit it hard after the 1st of the year.

We're also very flexible, I have no problems scheduling appointments during the day, I can duck out for a couple hours with no issue. I appreciate my current flexibility and couldn't really see myself working someplace where I had to be in a cube at 8:01AM and couldn't duck out for a while.

I will say though, PERCEPTION plays a big role in the office. Especially if you're IT for a non IT based company. If you're the IT guy that comes lounging into work at 10AM every day wearing cargo pants and barely meeting the dress code people will notice. Other people don't understand what we do for a living. They leave at 5PM and don't see us still at work at 9PM, or the fact we VPN in from home at all hours to take care of things. You could be a motherfuckin' rock star IT badass, but once people form a negative perception of you, it's over.

A few years ago when I was on call I got paged for an issue and spent 6AM to 11AM working from home busting my rear end to fix it. I walked in the door at work after lunch around 1PM and got a bunch of poo poo from people like 'nice of you to show up'. Their PERCEPTION of me was I was a slackass for coming into work at 1PM. It doesn't matter that I was up at 6AM working on a production affecting outage. People thought of me as a slackass and that is a hard perception to shake.

GreenNight posted:

When I got hired on at my current job, the position was between me and a couple other contractors. I was the only one to show up on time every day. When I was offered a permanent position, I was told the main reason was because I was reliable and dependable. Everything else they could teach me.

A great example of how people's PERCEPTION affects things in the workplace. The guys who didn't get the job could have been much much better technical fits for the job, but you got the job instead.

Swink posted:

I would leave. Strict hours are for school students. I have set hours but nobody bats an eye if you come in late, because there is a level of trust here.

In an environment with zero wiggle room, that trust cannot be built and every person who comes through there will leave for somewhere less stuck up.

Edit - Hours are last centuries concept anyway. Work and personal life is so intertwined now. I can be answering a work email while pushing my kid on the swing at the park. Sure I dont get paid for that, but the tradeoff is I get flexibility on workdays. If that was taken away from me, I would no longer be contactable out of my set hours and that is a lose-lose for everybody.

I agree with you in principle, but it can't always work out that way. We as mid/upper level IT folk generally don't have to have a set schedule and are expected to be flexible. Our work doesn't tend to be customer facing and is usually more project/task based than reactive. Say you work for a company with 30,000 employees, and the service desk is expected to be staffed during normal business hours in all US time zones. Well Suzy HR calls service/help desk at 9AM and no one answers the phone, she's going to be frustrated. I don't think it's unreasonable to ensure there is coverage for customer facing roles during normal business hours. Would you allow your receptionist to just come in whenever she wants? No. You expect her to work her assigned shift and answer the phones between the hours of 9AM to 5PM right?

I guess what I'm getting at is like most things in life, it depends on the situation.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A good, experienced, senior level server/storage guy can be paid very well. The field is in demand and people good at it can write their own ticket. Pay depends on cost of living. Here in Texas a guy with a BS, 6+ years experience and a handful of certs should be at or above 75K, probably closer to 85 or 90K. High cost of living areas will see 6 figures for Senior roles at decent sized companies.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Everything is complimentary when it comes to experience/certification/education They all help build up your background. An ideal candidate for a job has education, good work history, and maybe a complimentary IT cert or two. I personally feel some folks place too much emphasis on IT certifications (and I have quite a few of them). Your long term goal should be a BS of some sort, a short/medium term goal would be an AAS in some IT field.

Education is always worth your time and money. I did just fine the first 6 years of my IT career with an AAS from a community college. I should finish my BS by the end of the year.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have a few of these in the server room. The cable is labeled Allen Tel

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Tel-AT1607-OR-Category-7-Foot/dp/B005HX3ARU/ref=sr_1_22?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1382464684&sr=1-22

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Misogynist posted:

Anyone interested in an SH/SC mentorship exchange for people within our community here who are starting out trying to build careers for themselves?

I'm down to help. I've learned a lot over the past decade and have some great mentors at my job, and currently mentor a guy under me. Not so much technical mentoring(though that happens as well), but more about dealing with, navigating, and surviving the corporate part of things.

• Locked thread