Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My girlfriend is a Java contractor at an insurance company. She started in May and her contract was for 1 year. She was just notified that her contract has been extended until the end of 2014. Should she discuss a raise at the end of the 1 year (next May)? I've never worked contract so I'm not sure what to tell her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

skipdogg posted:

What kind of contractor is she? I know for us having contractors work more than 6 months a year for us puts us in some legal minefield where people in California start suing for employee benefits.

If she's a W-2 contractor through some kind of staffing firm like Volt or Robert Half, her compensation is between her and the contracting company. (Volt is the employer, who assigns her to work at Company X. The contract exists between Volt and Company X).

If she's 1099 where she directly bills the company she is doing work for then the contract language will deal with what happens if the contract is extended etc. (example: I contract myself out through my LLC skipdogg enterprise consulting, and Company X agrees to pay me XXX,XXX dollars a year for my services or a defined project according to a statement of work (SOW)).

That makes sense. She's a W-2 contractor, she faxes her contracting agency a time sheet every week and they cut her a check. This is her first IT job after college so she is hesitant to make any sort of waves.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, the place she works has hundreds of Java contractors, a dozen or so of which have been contractors for over 10 years. No health insurance, no PTO, no paid holidays. She's on the dev team which is half contractors.

And yes, second class citizens. She isn't allowed at the company events, she isn't allowed to partake in official team building exercises and they charge contractors more at the cafeteria.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The biggest peeve of mine is that she is working for an insurance company but heaven forbid they offer insurance to their loving contractors.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Docjowles posted:

If insurance companies actually paid out claims that would seriously cramp their profits :v:

I know right. Luckily she is getting insurance through this guy for at least general stuff:

http://host.madison.com/news/local/...be00cc68b9.html

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Our call center (for customer service calls, not IT calls) have to ask their manager to even go to the bathroom.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We don't get paid for lunch and it's 45 minutes. I've been here for 10 years and I've finally trained people that if they call me over lunch, I won't be answering my phone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

QPZIL posted:

Do you work at a Kindergarten?

Also, are you 5?

I know, right? Amazingly enough there is hardly ever any turn over in that department. The customer service manager is a major "everything is an emergency and I need my poo poo done ASAP" type person, which I'm sure she gets from her boss because he's even worse.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Speaking about DNS and how I totally hosed something up - I use the wrong KMS key in my images and ended up with 50 KMS hosts before I knew what the hell was going on.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Someone mentioned AS400. We actually have 10 grand budgeted into a new AS400 server this coming year straight from an IBM reseller. Woo woo!

We've had a consultant around for the past six months upgrading our system/32 software to get it to integrate with Sharepoint.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

How are you integrating it exactly?

Well first off, I have absolutely nothing to do with the AS400. I can install the end user client but that's about it. Saying that, I'm still in all the meetings.

What we've done so far is have the AS400 dump our invoices and purchase orders to pdf on a network share, then Sharepoint imports them on a schedule to be shown on an internal website for end users.

The consultant had to do quite a bit of behind the scenes work before we could even start that project.

Going forward we'll be putting sales data, queries, etc, so users can run these reports themselves instead of asking IT to run them.

We don't have blades. This is just a simple 4U server with an internal tape drive.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

No, but I have the floppies at home to show people for a laugh. Some of the programs are system/32 but the majority is old RPG. Not even current RPG. Our ERP system is home grown, all custom built. It's hilarious getting people up to speed and watching their faces when they realize they have to use green screen for most of their work.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

skipdogg posted:

I personally love the size of company I'm working for right now. Big enough to have a nice budget and get the things we need, not so big the entire place is drowning in red tape.

That's pretty much the company I work for too. It's hard to beat a place like that if you enjoy the people you work with and don't have a boss who micromanages.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I'd accuse my boss of having a script that IM's me every ~2 hours with 'What are you working on?" but he's not that competent.

Yeah, I might have mentioned this before, but we have a manager here who makes their users schedule bathroom breaks. My boss sits 20 feet from me in an office, and there could be days I don't ever see him. As long as shits not broke, he doesn't care what I do.

Which is pretty awesome and why even though I don't get paid a ton, my job rules.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Hahahaha. He'd have my resignation letter on his desk in minutes.

I know right? She's the customer service manager for our call center. She's the type that every single email is "high priority" and if she calls you and you don't answer, she calls everyone else in the dept looking for you, and then walks around tracking you down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The amazing part is that her department has extremely small turnover. I don't get it, I'd shoot myself if she was my boss. She does buy them a lot of pizza and treats, so she isn't completely evil.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I didn't mention the best part. Her husband is one of her employees. I always see the guy walking around chatting with people.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Those are some big monitor boxes. I hope they are storing other stuff and not CRT's. Also those HP desktops on the floor can definitely run Win7 if you wished to upgrade...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I wish my server room was that big.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Pretty much. Spend the first month just documenting everything.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

skipdogg posted:

This should be in a big bold glittery font in the OP. I support a small office of software engineers in addition to the global infrastructure of my company. It's my job to make sure they have the IT support and resources so they can do their job. I view IT as a facilitator not a dictator. How can IT help

If Engineering comes to IT with a demand, it's our job to figure out options, get pricing, and let management decide which way to go, not to dictate to engineering how they need to do something.

Also remember inter office politics is a real thing. A co-worker recently was told by his boss that folks generally had a negative perception of him. He's a great IT guy, gets his work done, but he stays holed up in his area with the door closed all day. People thought he was short, and unapproachable when they had a problem. His boss asked him to just take a lap around the building a couple times a week and shoot the poo poo with folks, ask them if they need anything. After a couple months the perception of him changed. His work didn't change, just his perception from other folks. Now they see he's a friendly approachable guy and end users are happier with IT's support even though nothing really changed.

Part of an issue is where does the money come from? An example for instance is we got a request that everyone in our field sales for gets an iPad. They wanted iPads because they think it makes them look smarter because in all the customer meetings they've gone to, the other people have iPads. Everyone was fine with this because it was coming out of the IT budget. Once the president of the company said that if they want this, then it comes out of marketing departments budget, it was taken off the table, even though the money all comes from the same place at the end.

That happens quite often around here.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

CDW posted:

We had our IT Director walk out because our owner is a dick about July 7th, since then I've been the only dedicated IT, with our repair service manager helping since he's been here 10 years and knows the most because of it, with him worry about backups and me doing all of the other work.

Owner wants to sign me under a 3 year contract since they want to train me, but don't want me to bolt in a year like the previous IT director.

...still no contract or pay raise, was just told that I shouldn't call this a "promotion", and they're looking for an IT Director on Monster.

:smithicide:

Ask your old IT Director if he found a better job and if you can come with.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

This is why I bitch bitch bitch when people don't use the help desk email. I bitch the user out when they email me directly, and I bitch out my boss when he lets someone get away with it.

What's help desk email? My direct email is the help desk email for 250 users.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm very happy we block all IOS downloads on our wifi. No calls today concerning the upgrade so that's a good thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I got really drunk at a tech conference last night and have been throwing up calamari all morning. Still better shape than my boss. What a night.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I posted this in the wrong thread earlier but I'm about to become a IBM System I (as400) System Administrator.

The pay is very good but tell me what I am getting myself into? Yes, I'll have training through IBM.

I'm still confused what new enterprises use for "processing" things - isn't everyone that has an AS400 just stuck with it since the cost of moving onto something else is just so outrageous? What are the alternatives?

What is your training on? The company I work for, the entire backbone is an AS400. We're purchasing a new AS400 next year. We have a consultant in who basically cannot find good AS400 employees. All our poo poo is programmed in old RPG and we just purchased additional AS400 software packages. All our order entry and accounting is via green screen.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Get a Google Voice number. Easy to block numbers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

All the VP's here are on Windows 8 and they have zero issues. I have Windows 8 on my home PC, laptop, HTPC, and work PC. It's perfectly fine.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

When I got hired on at my current job, the position was between me and a couple other contractors. I was the only one to show up on time every day. When I was offered a permanent position, I was told the main reason was because I was reliable and dependable. Everything else they could teach me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We've been using Labelview in our production facilities for like a dozen years, and 5 years ago I moved the licensing server to a VM. I go to download the latest version (we have SA), and what the gently caress, the latest version doesn't install in a VM. They want you to "convert your licensing" for like $2500 to make it "VM compatible". Assholes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Hah, that's basically a ransom.

They're a bunch of thieves. They did the same thing when we wanted to go from parallel port dongle to internet activation. $2500 "upgrade" fee. Jackasses. They know people will pay it, because what are you going to do? Convert 3000+ labels to a different product?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's in the IT budget, so that would be myself or my boss (IT director). He certainly won't call them, so that would be me having to pitch a fit.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yes? It's currently a VM that gives out floating licenses to end users who have the product installed. Apparently they never officially supported the license server to be on a VM so now they want companies to pay to "upgrade" their licensing to gain this additional functionality, even though we've been using it for years in that way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Caged posted:

It's not something I've ever come across before really, the license server component is just a thing that manages licenses rather than something that's considered to be anything that needs paying for.

I'd tell them to gently caress off but they know you don't really have a choice. It's pretty funny that in 2013 some software companies can think of a situation where something basic like a license server wouldn't be running on a VM though.

Welp, my boss got really pissed off when I told him the deal. This is what he emailed to them:

quote:

We are a current customer (xxxxx) and have a maintenance contract - xxxxx - and looking to upgrade our software to your version 2012. While attempting to upgrade we discovered we could not use our current environment and install on our virtual licensing server without an 'upgrade'. Is this true? We have been using VMWare for many years and have used a virtual machine to maintain our LabelView licensing for many years now as well. What have we been paying maintenance on your software for these years? Only for technical support? I was under the understanding we also received upgrades to our current software. I am not looking to change any functionality that I have not been using with your previous versions. This is ridiculous - in order to continue using your software you are forcing me to go backwards and use a physical server vs using my existing VM. And why do you care if I use a physical vs a virtual server. Your software should be hardware agnostic. You have been getting monies from us for years supporting your software. To ask us for more is disappointing.

Fortunately for us there are many other good products in the marketplace to choose from.

Now we're looking at alternate products and vendors who can assist in the conversion process. gently caress em.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Caged posted:

BarTender has a recommendation from me.

Ha, good to know. My boss printed off 10 pages of BarTender 10.1 pdf and dropped it off on my desk an hour ago.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Requirement for SCCM.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Because they figure that once they land the sweet rear end gig they can fake their way through it. CCIE probably not. Most MS certs? Yeah, most likely.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Odd question, I am the only IBM iSeries/AS400 goon?

Nope. We have 1 full time RPG programmer on staff for our AS400 and is currently contracting out more work specifically for it. Our entire ERP system is custom built AS400 programs. We're upgrading the server next year too. Best part? I have absolutely nothing to do with it being the VMWare/Network/Windows guy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Hardest question for me in an interview remains "So what do you do in your free time?"

That's the hardest question on a date. Job interview it's not so bad. Work doesn't care if all you do is play video games and watch anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Count Sacula posted:

troubleshooting TCP/IP connectivity is the one topic I ask all helpdesk and desktop candidates to figure out who is any good. You wouldn't believe how many don't know how to get to the command prompt.

Troubleshooting TCP/IP connectivity? You mean telling the user to reboot?

• Locked thread