Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the "best" way to ask for a raise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

DragonReach posted:

Have another job offer in hand for more money, and then explain that your current responsibilities exceed your compensation. Be ready to walk.

Yup. I've a potential job - it slightly less pay but I'd be willing to leave as much as I don't want to.

Misogynist posted:

This is completely circumstantial and depends on things like your importance within the organization, your relationship with your boss, and the reason(s) you're asking for a raise. Give us some better background, and maybe we can help you more. :)

I work as a Production Support Enginner

We're people that do all the day-to-day Application Tasks for systems that provision everything from T1/T3 Lines to OC-192 circuits. A lot of the work involves telling developers (they know how to code but not the program) what to do and making sure it's done right. Going to DBA's and Network Engineers for problems those that we can't fix ourselves. Tailing log files, updates parts of the database that don't get updating because the application doesn't work right, reading java logs, getting pages 2am because a process for provisioning is down, etc

Right now, our project is expanding and I'm responsible for more applications. I would think that I would be getting a raise but according to management we are :airquote:underutitilized:airquote: but I see this nothing to be but bullshit.

When we first started we didn't really know we'd even be working on Enterprise Circuit Provisioning - management didn't either and this ended up with me being underpaid by at least $5k.

My main boss is without a doubt satisfied with my performance, my technical lead likes me as well. I know there are some managers I don't see eye-to-eye with but we still get along so I think I have the best chance as of any. It's going to really put them in a huge-bind to find me a replacement while they're expanding the project but the window for me to jump ship is quickly closing and I need to do it soon.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Misogynist posted:

I don't get it. Why are you looking to leave for less pay if you don't get a raise? Am I misreading?

No, it's slightly less pay but there's no 24x7 on-call and there is a enormous reduction in job-stress and work in general.

It's a fair trade.

Misogynist posted:

It's not your job to make sure you aren't underutilized, and any rationalization along these lines is them trying to get labor for free. You're an employee on a salary, and you make money for the time you're on the clock, not the time they think they need you working on something. This is how employment works. If they don't grasp this very simple concept, get the gently caress out, because nothing else is likely to be any better with the way they approach labor.

Feel out the market, and honestly appraise your own skills. If you think you can make a better go of it somewhere else, get in there and ask for what you're owed. The worst that can happen is that you work someplace that pays you better.

Yea, I would think more responsibility would incur a increase in salary but I guess not with my current employeer. It's just that I am going to miss a lot of my co-workers - it was such a fun gig :smith:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 26, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I don't know what project or who your girlfriend is working for but this companies reputation - amoungst employees isn't exactly stellar. The pay is OK until you see that there is no Paid Time Off, no or awful health insurance and no investment opportunities of any kind.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Misogynist posted:

Is this different from most contracting opportunities?

From my experience which is [i]limited[/b] - most contractors throw up cash-money and nothing else. Generally, your workload quite high, the benefits spare of none at all but the pay made it worth while.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Just putting thoughts together right now but I want some additional input for the OP updates.

What do you guys look for in an ideal candidate in <name position>?

Show the Rouge Ale CL ad.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Well I am trying to keep it as constructive as possible, so... If you had to replace your current position with someone what would you look for, or what advice would you give?

Have a jobs-to-avoid/humor section :haw:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I work for a major telecom and my mailbox is 150mb - we are suppose to use personal folders.

Also, no zips for attachments and a limit of 8mb.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the actual technical limitation of having large mailboxes?

Is it just space?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

psydude posted:

Jump ship and make 200-300% more than previous job

On the same subject - what's the biggest raise or salary jump anyone has received?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Tell me about working on AS400s and Mainframes - I'd like to know what I'd be potentially getting myself into.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Antique programming languages and environments and the people in charge of them are usually stalwarts from the 80's. Also be prepared to work with a very small amount of high-priced consultants.

What mainframe?

I've seen them around in literally every big enterprise but are they impossible to virtualize? Too expensive to recode everything into a modern language? How can you even get hardware for this stuff still?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

System Z (and AS400 in general) happily runs Linux instances with languages and tools as modern as anything RHEL6 can throw at it. Yes, you'll have traditional COBOL/JCL stuff running on it somewhere, but they're not necessarily as antiquated as this makes them out to be.

Holy poo poo. They came out with new hardware back in 2012. Looks like the mainframe isn't dead at all.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Someone mentioned AS400. We actually have 10 grand budgeted into a new AS400 server this coming year straight from an IBM reseller. Woo woo!

We've had a consultant around for the past six months upgrading our system/32 software to get it to integrate with Sharepoint.

How are you integrating it exactly?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Chivas Aribas! posted:

Las Vegas still lives and dies by the AS400. Almost every big resort uses MMS for ordering and LMS for hotel management.

There is a company called Agilysys that makes trucks full of money selling support.

What's MMS and LMS?

Aside from Wikipedia may anyone reference some good reading on MainFrames?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What actually goes wrong when you don't keep all your cabling nice and neat?

I am data center illiterate - tell me your most horrifying messy-cable tales!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

You have nearly several terabytes of what exactly?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, I might have mentioned this before, but we have a manager here who makes their users schedule bathroom breaks.

I wonder how until someone shits themselves.

:words: Oh, thanks for calling Bob! Sure let me go ahead reset your passwor -OHHHURRRShit PFFT!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Let's say :airquote:hypothetically:airquote: that you know your employer is billing you at $175 and you're roughly billable about 60% of time at that rate. The rest of your work on is other projects that may bring in income or are internal.

That calculates out to 2080*175*.80 = $218,400

What kind of salary would you ask for?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Misogynist posted:

And trust me, Tab8715, you aren't the first person to figure out that your billable rate is higher than what you get paid.

Oh, I knew it was higher but I was curious too see if anyone really expected a certain percentage of that amount.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sarcasmatron posted:

Find an hourly to salary converter - there are a few online. The three times I've converted an hourly consulting range to a salary, I've started at a straight conversion, and ended up at 90-96% of that number each time.

Not what the company is billing you out at but at what you're billing the company out at.

Wouldn't that just my salary divided by 2080 - working hours in a year; excluding holidays and PTO.

BurgerQuest posted:

Is it normal to not know what your time is being billed out at?

I was under the impression I wasn't really suppose to know although I think down the line it was inevitable that I'd find out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Without being too specific,

I'll be working on,

- System I; in SysAdmin Role (Upgrading Software,Upgrading Hardware - no COBOL Programming)
- Managed Services; supporting hundreds of various small businesses in whatever they need in a Windows Environment

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 23, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sarcasmatron posted:

This is turning into a cul-de-sac. Who are you trying to negotiate a salary with?

I posted a link every 5 pages or so in the last thread - it ended up in the OP:

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/ - if I end up accepting the job I'm currently in discussion on - and I get what I'm asking for, that article will have resulted in me going from 50K/year to 175K/year in under 24 months. Thanks to it, I busted 100K last year.

While I realize my story is purely anecdotal, I strongly recommend reading it.

EDIT: Calendar math is hard!

Hah - I remember reading that a long time ago, I'll go through it again.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The ballsy version is to write it in the form of a resume.

I guess I know what I'm doing next year :smug:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I posted this in the wrong thread earlier but I'm about to become a IBM System I (as400) System Administrator.

The pay is very good but tell me what I am getting myself into? Yes, I'll have training through IBM.

I'm still confused what new enterprises use for "processing" things - isn't everyone that has an AS400 just stuck with it since the cost of moving onto something else is just so outrageous? What are the alternatives?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Motronic posted:

Holy poo poo, what did your training teach you? It's obviously only the technical side, so you best end up with a positon where you are an underling for now. If not, you need to get some relevant business sense in your head right quick. Those systems are used by businesses that value reliability and consistency over the latest and greatest fad but can't afford or utilise a proper 'frame.

I'm sorry to be like this, but you need to figure that market out right now or you won't be going far. How did you even end up in this position without knowing at least some of that?

I'm on your side. We're all here to help each other. But poo poo man........

I haven't had any training - yet. The last guy my company tried to hired worked for a month but then bailed for the same gig but they company paid much more - I'm making less but it's still good money. The iSeries System Administration gig is only a half-time deal with other random MSP-Stuff that include random Windows Servers and iSynergy.

Back to the AS400,

I know the systems are reliable but isn't everything else just as reliable these day? We could certainly create any X86 System that has built-in redundancy and automatically failover, no?

Second, what makes it so special? Why can't the same things processed on this platform be done anywhere else? And - if everyone is claiming the as400/iSeries is dead - why did IBM release a new Power7+ CPU last year? Why did IBMi have a release last February?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Motronic posted:

You need to understand that there are a lot of 20-something people in this business. Most of them have never touched a system like this and have no idea what they are capable of and just think it's "old poo poo." And they are right....it is old poo poo, but some things are worth keeping around for the right reasons. We still haven't reasonably replaced these things in "PC hardware." That's a simple fact.

Ah hah, so the the death of the AS400 is greatly exaggerated.

pram posted:

The majority of P7 hardware is probably used for AIX and people who are chained to DB2.

You don't sound like a fan of DB2 :downs:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It does seem like investing my time into Linux as opposed to Unix would be more valuable but this door opened for and I'm taking it.

On the flip-side, how come you left the banking/AIX world?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The current gig I'm leaving wants my personal email address, personal cell phone and current address just incase...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

Actually I'm kind of surprised they don't already have that info, how did they contact you during hiring?

Ha, I asked why they wanted it and they said "Well, ummm uhh because... we had to make sure it's updated!"

If they call me it's going to voice-mail, if you wanted me that badly should have gave me a raise.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Leave them your contacts say 125/hr per call 30 minute minimum.

I'm serious considering giving them my new business card :smug:

I'm serious. If I am so important why would you let me leave? You didn't even try to negotiate! Why didn't I ever have a backup that had any idea what I was doing?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

In IT, you must be like a submarine.

This should be added to the OP.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Misogynist posted:

Don't even get me loving started on startup culture.

What's wrong with start up culture? :worms:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Christ,

I today was my last day is my company is freaking out. Ugh, this cannot end well.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Wake up! Nothing goes as planned, poo poo happens.

And what's wrong with having a plan?

I wouldn't really set it on a age thing but more-so maybe once I accomplish certain goal - once I'm done paying off my students loans then I'm move to a bigger city.

As mentioned before, age doesn't really impact your ability to re-locate it's having kids/significant other. One thing I think a lot of miss is the impact of being somewhere long term vs. short term. Sure, you'll make friends before you move but it's not the same when you've known people for 5-10+ years.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Portland, Texas and Atlanta.

Why? It's way cheaper than the Bay Area or New York.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That and I hate living in a City, Charlotte appeals to me because I can be in a city, one minute and buttfuck no where the next with a low as gently caress cost of living.

Portland has that not to far away herbal supplements, as well a geography, decedentish people, but lacks the cost of living benefit of Charlotte/gastonia.

Portland and Charlotte are about the same population wise however maybe Portland is a little more expensive? That's what I got from looking at Craigslist for less than a minute.

I don't know how much you're making but it's obviously more than $55k/y - and in which case living in a city is going to be more-than-affordable. I'd wager that less than a third of your income would be spent on rent/mortgage + utilities and if so you I don't see why you should have any concern. Any half-decent financial adviser would tell you you're using your money correctly.

Besides, isn't the new rich thing to do to live in the city?

I think all Working in IT Goons should move to Portland - it sounds like fun and I want to move there! :haw:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I mean I don't mind making the small talk, listen to tales, and all; I'll be polite and stuff. However the conversation ends up to a "so dilbert what do you like?" which aside from network/hypervisors/storage, ends up in well... awkward

:ughh:

You can't be serious?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Sales people + conferences = strip clubs

The success of your sales team is directly proportional to their alcohol consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Docjowles posted:

In timely related news, Why Is the Fox News Room Full of Absurdly Giant iPads? Hope that was worth however many millions it cost.

As gawker pointed out - are they really using them? It seems that it's only a scaled version of Internet Explorer.

• Locked thread