Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Oh thank god, there's finally an LP of this. I played it, and even beat it, but after awhile I got so frustrated with the combat that I stopped enjoying the game entirely. I liked the story, by and large, but maybe I'll like it even more if I'm not really pissed at how bad I am at shooting people.

And to share a moment of stupidity - despite how incredibly alike they look, I thought the twins were a married couple at first. Boy did I feel like a moron. They're the best characters in the game, bar none though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

GenHavoc posted:

[*]Very strong. This Comstock guy even looks kind of like Joseph Smith. But for analysis: Comstock was the name of the silver lode in Colorado that was discovered in 1859, the one that George Hearst and the Bonanza Kings used to make their fortunes. It's also the name of a lot of other stuff, but that's the first thing that comes to mind. The Comstock lode was the biggest mining strike since the California Gold Rush, and helped sustain the western drive of American Expansion. I know from the rest of the thread that such themes are involved in this game, so perhaps this is a reference of import.

I really, really like your posts but I can answer this one without spoiling anything: Comstock is almost certainly named after Anthony Comstock, a late 19th/early 20th century political figure who was extremely religious and extremely pro-censorship.

Edit - Though I should note that Anthony Comstock was way more about anti-sex stuff that any sort of race stuff. The Comstock laws are named after him and boy are they a hoot and a half.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 26, 2013

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

There is a sinner among us brothers, and he must be cleansed.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Since the Crow Bros are obviously heavily inspired by the KKK, let's talk about said shameful piece of American history for a moment :eng101:

The KKK was originally formed in 1865 by six Confederate Army vets in Pulaski, Tennessee. The thing is, the group was originally little more than the equivalent of modern fraternities. The vets were barely more than teenagers, and they were bored and being kind of childish. This is why the ranks of the KKK are stupid poo poo like "Grand Dragon" or "Grand Wizard". You can basically imagine them giggling to themselves the entire time they wrote up their charter, and going "omg omg, let's call this rank a Hydra, wouldn't you want to be a Hydra? rofl this is so cool." They were kids. loving stupid rear end in a top hat kids, but kids nevertheless. Even the costumes were deliberately picked to resemble something a kid might wear on Halloween. For the most part, the original small group of the KKK just went around town at night playing pranks on the locals, particularly freedmen. According to the KKK, blacks were scared of them because they were superstitious and stupid, and thought they were ghosts. It's more likely they were afraid of a pack of teenage white boys on horses running up to them with guns on their hips, even if there wasn't yet any incidence of violence from the group.

The group expanded pretty swiftly but they had a policy of never, EVER asking somebody to join. They might go up to somebody in a bar, mention the group and then go "I think I'm going to join up!" and hope the person they were talking to went "Yeah, me too!" but they never directly said "Hey, come join the KKK." The reason for this was to keep an air of mystique about the group and also to ensure that if somebody decided they didn't like the group anymore or they didn't approve of what was going on, the group could say "Well look buddy, you volunteered to join up." Joining the group involved intense hazing and to be honest, hazing new members was 90% of the point of the group. Again, fraternity mindset.

The problem started when people from outside Pulaski came to town just to join up, then got permission to go back to their own towns and start their own chapters. The original members didn't really care - sure of course you can start your own chapter, whatever. But they had never put a system in place for the leader of the KKK to actually control what the other chapters did. Within a year, various chapters across the South had set themselves up as vigilante law enforcers since, because of the Reformation, all the actual law enforcement was being done by Northern soldiers and for obvious reasons, the South wasn't thrilled about this. It didn't take long for this to devolve into violence against blacks.

The leader of the Pulaski chapter tried to bring the other chapters to heel and drafted a much more extensive charter with better rules for a chain of command, but he wasn't actually against the vigilantism (nor was he very likely against the attacks on freedmen), he was just trying to control the KKK's public image because they were swiftly becoming unpopular with Northerners and the US government. In 1868, a mere three years after it was formed, laws were enacted against the KKK starting in Tennessee, their home state. In January of 1869, the Grand Wizard, Nathan Bedford Forrest (not one of the original founders, interestingly), issued an order for the KKK to disband entirely, declaring that the Klan had violated it's original purpose of helping the innocent but that the Klan had done good and members should continue to "do good", but no longer as members.

What does all of this have to do with Bioshock Infinite, other than the Crow Bros being clearly based on them? Based on the dates we have and a timeline we can infer, the KKK has already cropped up, wreaked havoc, and disbanded by the time of Columbia's secession. Members of the Crow Bros (I know this isn't their name, but I like it better) would almost certainly have included former KKK members and probably some of their leaders that disagreed with the disbanding of the Klan. And while I'm not sure it's relevant (I have to assume that Columbia has little contact with "the Sodom below" these days), the game is also taking place at just the right time for the KKK's revival around 1915 when they reformed and spread across the South once again, like a plague of assholes.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I googled the VA list to see if there were any spoilers you'd hit and the imdb list is clean other than, obviously, spoiling the names of some future characters we'll meet. The main page for Bioshock Infinite DOES have spoilers on it though so don't click around. Comstock is voiced by this dude (also contains no spoilers that I can see) who is in fact in his 40s. I have issues with Comstock's voice acting too but not the same issue you do. We'll get to it later when it's more aggravatingly noticeable.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, "The Lord forgives everything. But I'm just a prophet, so I don't have to." It's a great line, but it's really the first time you get to see Comstock as a blatant hypocrite. The phrasing is just so specific: "I don't have to." If he said "I can't," then it implies that he at least tried to forgive, and like any other human, could not find it in his heart to forgive a grievous wrong. But "I don't have to," implies that not only did he not try, he doesn't even want to.

For a guy who talks about striving towards a Godly ideal and being a better person, he seems to be having trouble walking the walk.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Podima posted:

There is a lot to be said for the simple psychological method of rationalizing or ignoring things away as a response to complete and total weird stuff overload. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for Booker, as a dude who has seen a lot of poo poo in a single day, to simply decide to put the portal thing aside as "just another thing on the crazy stuff pile, let's just get on with it."

Yeah, honestly with the day that Booker's been having, I can pretty easily understand him just thinking "...No, you know what? gently caress it, I don't even care right now. This job sucks."

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

To clarify something about the Irish - the primary reason they were considered subhuman was because they were largely Catholic. Recall that the colonies were founded by Protestants and that Protestant ideology guided political and social views since the founding of the colonies and up til... well, now. Catholics were persona non grata back then and pretty much still are. JFK has been the only non-Protestant president we've ever had and a LOT of people were not happy about the idea of a Catholic in charge of the US, and we're talking about the 19-loving-60s here.

The very first Irish immigrants to America were actually Protestants and they were treated just fine. They referred to themselves as the Scotch-Irish to differentiate themselves from later filthy Irish Catholic immigrants who were, of course, horrible mongrels.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

This is really not the place for an in depth discussion of lynchings but if you really want to know more about the subject, I would recommend this book. As the name implies, it contains some pretty loving graphic pictures so fair warning. But it does a very good job at explaining why lynchings happened and their effects. It also contains a discussion of a very particular lynching - James Cameron's. Cameron was the only person known to have ever survived a lynching and his testimony is horrifying.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

You may favor the shotgun but it's the carbines you ignored (twice! :argh:) that never left my side. Also, Booker sure does enjoy punching elevator buttons, even with his injured hand.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Not to mention Booker also did the one thing you should never do when treating a stab wound: remove the bladed object yourself. What people forget about wounds like Booker's stab wound is that the knife acts as a plug for the blood flow, preventing you from bleeding out. However, Booker has removed the knife for what has to be roughly 10-15 minutes before Elizabeth manages to patch him up, all while doing stuff like holding and firing a gun, running at top speed and generally staying in motion. And then there's WHERE Booker gets stabbed to take into account, the middle of the hand. That's not only where important hand muscles are located, but veins for blood to the fingers. In short, Booker should have some amount of blood loss AND significant nerve/muscle damage from that wound and not just that small patch of blood on his palm we see, because there is no possible way for a stab like the one Booker got to miss EVERYTHING important in the hand.

To be fair, Booker pretty much had to remove the knife - it was pinning his hand to the desk and he needed to be able to move.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Frankly, Booker shooting first also makes Elizabeth's reaction make more sense as well. It's weird that Elizabeth runs away from you if you let them attack you first. I mean, yeah, she could be horrified that you're killing dudes, but they're clearly trying to kill you first. I shamelessly shot first on my playthrough and Elizabeth running away made perfect sense to me. When I realized you weren't going to do that, I was actually expecting her not to run away.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Comstock trying to take credit for battles he wasn't involved in annoys the poo poo out of me. Not for any moral reasons but because it's such a loving stupid thing to do. If Slate and what appears to be every surviving soldier that was actually at those battles is in Columbia, why would you ever think it was a good idea to lie about being there while surrounded by people who could call you out on it? Oh sure, the average Columbian is going to take their Prophet's word over anybody else's but why would you even set yourself up for that kind of risk?

And speaking of risks and set ups - a one week gestation period? Sounds like Comstock got frisky with some other lady and his wife helped him cover it up. Such godly behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I'm surprised Booker has any of his army stuff up at all considering how (rightly) ashamed he seems to be of his participation in Wounded Knee.

• Locked thread