Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

^^^ holy poo poo ^^^

Glad to see this being LPed, I really enjoyed playing through it but it's always great seeing it through another person's eyes. I don't think I ever used any vigors except one, which still isn't going to come up for a few updates.

I always preferred to think of the whole game as the hallucination of a man dying of cerebral edema stemming from being rocketed up 15-20k feet in just a couple seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Barf Wight posted:

Sundowner eating some cereal in the middle of a firefight put a smile on my face. I know it's just 'healing item #17' but the image of just munching on a whole pack of corn flakes is too good.

It's like the scene from Scarface with the pile of cocaine, except this time it's Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Green Intern posted:

He definitely had various intake ports. He's cramming cake into his feed-tube.

Subject Delta: the proto-goon

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Speedball posted:

I have a certain contextual problem with this game's layout. It's not entirely a corridor shooter but it is indeed quite linear compared to the other Bioshocks and even though the protagonist is a for-hire private detective there's no real opportunity for him to, well, detect. That's sad.

Booker being a detective is flavor, I think, or at least an answer to the question "why send him after a girl instead of, say, breaking his legs to recover a gambling debt?"

The game has established the various hats he's worn, but doesn't feel compelled to spell anything out. Coming from it from the point of view of having beaten the game already, it's really well done and I've had a couple "d'oh!" moments already. Speculation really can't be too wild at this point.

Edit - and as mentioned above, he's a Pinkerton, which means "not a good guy" to anybody who knows about that sort of thing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sundowner posted:

Absolutely not and you've said more than I would have cared to at this early stage in the LP, as well. The music is something special in this game. The OP already mentions a thing about not posting about the music in the game. "No spoilers" certainly means as much!

I need to make the no spoilers section bigger somehow :v:.

Let's Play: I Need To Make the No Spoilers Section Bigger Somehow

For what it's worth, I have no idea how to reply to anything in this thread without feeling like I'm giving away something important later on. drat this game :(

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Why not just put a big honking image file in the OP? Something like this (except more elaborate, of course):

Mind you, anyone who does spoil stuff doesn't read the OP anyway. Maybe PM a mod, ask them to add 'NO SPOILERS!' into the title?

It needs to be bigger, and Blingee'd. If playing games with goons has taught me anything it's that they'll pay attention to something if there's enough spinning pot leaves and snoop dogs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I thought it was understood that this whole game after this point was just embellished fiction Booker scrawled on bedsheets while dying of septicemia in a filthy, forgotten Comstock holding cell.

Of course the fatal detail of ignoring the wound while the rot set in was brushed over, such an ignoble death.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GenHavoc posted:

I've been talking up the Mormon vibe from Comstock since the first video. Stupid or not, you're in good company.

I always thought it was supposed to be pretty much the closest thing to "yeah we based this fanatical cult of personality and racism pretty much directly on Mormonism" that they could pull off without literally saying that in an accompanying booklet.

I mean, didn't Comstock literally quote Joseph Smith in one of his Voxophone speeches?

edit - oh poo poo, I just had a "why did they name them Voxophones when they hate the Vox Populi" moment until my brief stint in Latin study sprung up and made me feel really, really stupid :smith:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't feel bad, voxophone is a hideous amalgamation of Greek and Latin anyway. It's a voice-sound! :shepface:

It's like the "polyamory is wrong" joke that I love more than I should

"IT SHOULD BE MULTIAMORY OR POLYPHILIA DAMNIT" delivered in a frothy rage

Also I'm not sure Comstock could eat even a meager 2 dozen eggs. He's no prophet of mine :colbert:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Going back to a previous post, I think the Battle of Wounded Knee plays a bigger role in everything going on in this game than people realize. It's been interwoven either subtly (the military honors on the wall at the very beginning) or very obviously (Quest for Shock Jockey) throughout and has never been far from the forefront. Booker's not a talkative sort but you can tell he's not happy that it keeps coming up, and he seems to feel about the same about his distinguished service as he does about his cracking the skulls of the poor as a Pinkerton.

Abilifier posted:

I just read about Wounded Knee on Wikipedia. Was this covered in the thread yet? Because that little bit of history really adds a lot to the characters of Slate, Booker, and Comstock. I'll add a quick summary if it seems appropriate.

Please do, it's not really a "battle" and if most people don't know about it, it'll be pretty jarring compared to how it's portrayed in this.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Most games would use this as something to bolster the player's spirit, to give them a lively fight with (doomed) allies who are clearly on the right side (ie, your side) of things before moving on to the next area.

BS:I instead uses it as another way to highlight how messed up everything is. Slate and his men are basically just the unruly military arm of Comstock's paradise, only now they're not needed. They're not good people - they're awful, horrible monsters who have gone a bit crazy under the weight of some stupid decisions and circumstances and now see no other way out.

I'm no historian, but considering the circumstances of Wounded Knee and the Boxer Rebellion, I had zero qualms about killing every last bastard in that hall. It's way harder to justify killing the countless police that the player has killed up to this point (you see, I suffer from NPC Empathy Syndrome and feel bad about killing supposed "bad guys" who are just grunts doing the best they can until a confused, possibly psychotic mass murderer crosses their path) than it is the soldiers.

Slate is a bit weird, but Slate is a bloodlust fueled crazy mass murderer who has been totally enabled in this his whole life. Now his balls have been cut off and this seems like the only real option to go out with "honor"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

resurgam40 posted:

Booker probably has one.

If he does, it's not on display.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor#Historical_versions

Though to be fair, from what we've learned of him so far, it wouldn't be on display if he'd got one

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Flesnolk posted:

Yeah, no doubt all the white people in this game except Elizabeth and the Lutece twins (unless we've not yet seen them show their true colours) are pieces of poo poo that deserve to be put down, and Slate's one of the worst we've run into, but the whole "hey someone who's not Comstock is here, let's immediately try to commit suicide by them!" thing seemed dumb to me when a) all Booker wanted was the vigour, b) Booker'd already shown he was likely on Slate's side by gunning down what felt like half of Columbia's police force on the way in and c) he and Elizabeth probably would've helped them break out or something if they'd asked. But with the way you and louispul5 broke it down, it makes some sense, sorry if it was a stupid question on my part.

There are no stupid questions in a game like this, only ones that people will be hesitant to answer because everything is a spoiler in this game :v:

I don't think the non-white characters are squeaky clean either, it's just that all we've come across so far re: the Vox is their desire to kill a whole bunch of men, women, and children instead of the actual execution of said act. That and they're more sympathetic a group of people compared to the others we've seen so far. We haven't really met anybody who doesn't want the streets to run red so far, except Elizabeth.

My MAIN beef with this game was the lack of people being killed by being thrown to their deaths off the side. I mean there's precipitous drops everywhere you go, and in a place like this it's a symbolic death as well!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Flesnolk posted:

There's being obsessive about soldiering, then there's throwing away your life stupidly for no gain, which I'm pretty sure soldiers are taught not to do.

Unless your CO is alongside it.

Hamburger hill, machine gunners in WW1, etc

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I loved when I realized that Chen Lin is alive in this one because he married a different woman. Should be fun spotting all the other things that are slightly different now that I'm not playing and able to pay attention to the little details :D

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think at this point, Booker would rather chew his own arm off than stay in Columbia indefinitely - cushy job and debts settled or no.

Plus, I think he's a devious enough bastard to realize that Comstock would just have him killed if he stayed. Fink's empire is built on Comstock so if Comstock wanted to cut his head of security's throat while he slept I doubt Fink would be able to stop him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oraculum Animi posted:

This may be a little OCD but you haven't updated your OP with the newest update.

It got updated in the alternate timeline LP

There's links now but they scream and run from your cursor because they remember both being posted and never having been posted at the same time.

• Locked thread