Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
The recurring man and woman remind me strongly of the two gophers from Looney Tunes with their back-and-forth and the way they bounce off each other's sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

But then again, let's assume she can't get out through those portals- why would she be afraid of the vehicle then?

Probably for the same reason you duck when something comes flying at the screen in a 3D movie, a reflex. If something the size of a bus comes barreling at you, you're going to react, regardless of wether it can hurt you or not.

CommissarMega posted:

That being said, how far did they fall? Does Columbia have its own flying ocean? Because falling into water from the height I saw Columbia flying at in the first video is still going to be akin to hitting concrete, what with Newton's Third Law being what it is. Or did Elizabeth open some kind of rip and I missed it?

As much as it feels like a cop-out to say this, it's probably just the Soft Water trope in effect. In video games, you can survive a fall from any height so long as you hit water.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay, I can finally say that terrible spoiler that I had to edit out before! That music at Battleship Bay! Listen to it again! Listen hard!

Seriously, go back and listen to it for a few bars before you mouse over the spoiler.

Did you go back and listen?

It's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun arranged for pipe organ. This game. :allears:

I thought it was especially appropriate that poor deprived Elizabeth runs off and starts dancing to this particular song as soon as she gets out of prison.

I don't want to steal your thunder or anything but, um....Sundowner kind of already pointed out exactly that in the video.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Indeed. This argument has been going around in circles for several pages and it would be best for all to agree to disagree before it becomes a complete derail.

Let's go back to people's speculation on the craziness that is Binfinite's plot. Those are fun to read!

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

And of course the town where this lady lives is named Lynchburg, because why wouldn't it be?

Indeed. That should've been the first hint to move the gently caress somewhere else.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

The quest arrow is fantastic. I'm poo poo at finding hidden loot in games because I usually end up stumbling down the way you're supposed to go to progress plot, so being able to know for sure which areas are side areas is a godsend.

Also:

CuwiKhons posted:

You may favor the shotgun but it's the carbines you ignored (twice! :argh:) that never left my side.

So much this. Carbines wreck in this game.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

The hand is one of the standard "hero areas", like the shoulder or the side, where you can take what should be a grievous injury and look like that much more of a badass when you shake it off and keep going like nothing happened.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

For a game with such stunning visuals, this hand-wrapping sequence was hilariously low-effort.

Yeah, with all the advancements in video game technologies, real-time changes to character models still seem to be just out of reach.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

God drat it, Bioshock, this is the thing I hate most of all in videogames. "Hey, this guy is fighting against the antagonist too! We have a common enemy! I'll just slaughter my way through all of his troops instead of trying to convey the simple loving idea that we are on the same side here."

It's a bit more complicated than that in this case but, as with most things in this game, saying too much about it is spoilers.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

GenHavoc posted:

1. So Fink's brother is the reason for all the musical anachronisms we've been hearing. Oh god, does his brother run Columbia's RIAA? :stonk:

EDIT 2: Another thought occurs to me. We didn't see the original Mrs. Lin very close up, but the models look eerily similar. Maybe just a facet of the graphics engine and maybe my imagination. Or maybe this is Mrs. Lin in a more profound sense. Maybe in this world the same person is white instead of Asian?

The voxophone doesn't explicitly say that Fink's brother is the reason for the anachronisms, just that he's been hearing them for a while and clued his brother in.

The first time we meet Mrs. Lin, she's pretty clearly Asian, with her broken English and shrine to Buddha. Then they enter the alternate universe and she's a white lady.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Gruckles posted:

I think the idea is that he hears the music from the tears, and then turns them into the olde timey versions on the beach, sung by the quartet, etc.

Aaahh, if that's what he meant then yes, that makes much more sense.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Why the gently caress does the protagonist sit down and play a seemingly well rehearsed musical number for a frightened child in a bar stockroom?

What the gently caress were these designers thinking? Hey doofus where should we put the touching scene? oh idk, dingus, just toss it right after the player is forced to kill two irish guys in the middle of the street for no reason, just make sure he plays a song that the shut in girl from the isolated sky city knows by heart!

You seem unreasonably angry at a brief scene that is essentially an easter egg.

GenHavoc posted:

Have we encountered someone called the Founders before? Because the woman addressing her troops (Nope! No gender-related discussions to have here! No sirree!) was identified as a "Founder Commander" Is that just the name of Comstock's troops, and I'm an idiot who forgot? Or is this something else? Some sort of Fink-employed Pinkerton analogue? I couldn't get a very good look, but they seem to have either white or khaki uniforms, something not shared by any of the other military or paramilitary forces we've encountered thus far (I think)

The Founders are the main political party/religion of Columbia, headed by Comstock. They worship the Founding Fathers (specifically Washington, Franklin, and Jefferson, remember the statues of the three from way back in the garden Booker woke up in after being baptized). Fink MFG., the military/police, and the Fraternal Order of the Raven all fall under the Founder umbrella.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Konstantin posted:

I have to wonder what the political system is like in Columbia anyway. A theocracy wouldn't gel with the writings of the Founding Fathers, so I figure they would need to at least have the appearance of a democracy. I figure it's either a single-party state with sham elections or two parties with Comstock being a de facto dictator that's officially neutral.

A theocracy may not gel with their writings, but I would have to imagine that Comstock has probably twisted their doctrine to his own ends and keeps evidence to the contrary locked away/destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Aww, you poor disheveled child! Let me grab this orange that probably already belongs to you, and hand it to you. Now, back under the stairs you go, we're done with this character growth segment.

Yeah, Elizabeth is kind of starting to grate on me as well.

In all likelihood the kid was trying to steal the fruit, which is why he booked it under the stairs in the first place. And even if that's not the case, Elizabeth might've thought it was. And he stays under there of his own accord, not because Elizabeth banished him there. She can't really be blamed for any of that.

• Locked thread