Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPRzH7Nrg4

:pirate:Official summary:

“The eight-episode first season of the pirate adventure centers on the tales of Captain Flint and his men, and takes place twenty years prior to Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic Treasure Island. Toby Stephens (Die Another Day) stars as Flint, the most brilliant and most feared pirate captain of his day, takes on a fast-talking young addition to his crew who goes by the name John Silver. Threatened with extinction on all sides, they fight for the survival of New Providence Island, the most notorious criminal haven of its day – a debauched paradise teeming with pirates, prostitutes, thieves and fortune seekers, a place defined by both its enlightened ideals and its stunning brutality.”

Strangely enough, this is Michael Bay's (yes, that Michael Bay) first real shot at television; he's producing it alongside Jon Steinberg, who produced the short but pretty good Jericho.

:pirate:Will it be as good as Starz's (only other good show) Spartacus?

Who knows. I wasn't a fan of Da Vinci's Demons or Camelot (which even Eva Green's boobs couldn't save) but for some reason I have high hopes for this show. Because, you know, pirates. Also, Bear McCreary (of Battlestar Galactica fame) is doing the soundtrack.

Edit: Apparently, Starz has already greenlit a second season before the first one has even aired, so that bodes pretty well.

:pirate:When does it come out?

January 2014, according to the website.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Looking forward to this. Still would have preferred Starz do the Caesar spin off.

At least Starz know what apparently works. Magic City got a second season and was cancelled. Hopefully this is more in their wheelhouse.

Teek fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 27, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Reopen the Spartacus thread please, it was really silly to close it for like 10 posts about Batman. Don't want to have to bug Aatrek to reopen it, thanks.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I'm cautiously optimistic. I would just rather they had given this show to DeKnight since they keep refusing to greenlight his next show.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic. I would just rather they had given this show to DeKnight since they keep refusing to greenlight his next show.

Wait, what? I thought his space marines show got greenlighted

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Wait, what? I thought his space marines show got greenlighted

No, they're still in talks. There's no production at all going on yet.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This will be amazing because reasons.
:black101:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

M. Bison posted:

Yes.... yes!

I'm excited.

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

No, they're still in talks. There's no production at all going on yet.
No just DeKnight writing. He recently finished the last script so the entire first season is written.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Bumping for a new preview:

http://www.starz.com/originals/blacksails/videos/video/16

Asbury fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 31, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I have to say I think my expectations are tempered by Michael Bay being involved at all. I'd like this to be another extremely progressive show in terms of relationships (hetero and homo) and well-written as well, but I sometimes think Spartacus was just a perfect storm in that respect.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Azure_Horizon posted:

I have to say I think my expectations are tempered by Michael Bay being involved at all. I'd like this to be another extremely progressive show in terms of relationships (hetero and homo) and well-written as well, but I sometimes think Spartacus was just a perfect storm in that respect.

OTOH, I think Bay is a perfect fit for this. He's not directing but you can still see elements of his hyper-sensual lighting and scenery, which I think is perfect for the topic (The New World! Every thing is new and shiny and waiting to be discovered!). Plus the guy isn't afraid to spend his own money on a project if he thinks it needs it.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

limeincoke posted:

OTOH, I think Bay is a perfect fit for this. He's not directing but you can still see elements of his hyper-sensual lighting and scenery, which I think is perfect for the topic (The New World! Every thing is new and shiny and waiting to be discovered!). Plus the guy isn't afraid to spend his own money on a project if he thinks it needs it.

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat here I think.

I'll watch it unless it's absolutely terrible, I get pretty excited at the concept of conquest in the New World :black101:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The Spartacus thread appears to be open brothers!

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

The Spartacus thread appears to be open brothers!

I'm pretty sure it has been for awhile brobeans!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Conquistador posted:

I'm pretty sure it has been for awhile brobeans!

I swear you are one of the worst posters I've ever seen.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Michael Bay's name to it isn't good, he's not going to be a silent producer, he's going to have his way. There's a reason every movie he's involved in has the exact same stupid poo poo in it even if he's only the producer instead of director. He throws around the money and bullies the directors of film, he's sure as poo poo not going to have some TV showrunner pulling rank on him.

I'm still going to give it a good try though.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Pain & Gain was pretty great and I didn't see much resemblance to Transformers in it.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

Pain & Gain was pretty great and I didn't see much resemblance to Transformers in it.

I don't want to be a dick but Pain & Gain was one of the only movies I've ever stopped watching half way through. It's not Transformers because that was Michael Bay's unchecked ego (also giant robots), but Pain & Gain was typical of every other Bay movie he's ever directed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyv3EA6Rc0Q

Red band trailer, you can see virtually every Michael Bay-ism in it down to the exact same abundance of floor mounted upward angle wide pan shots. To see the stuff he's only responsible for being a producer of you have to look for his production company Platinum Dunes, responsible for such well loved remakes as Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Friday the 13th (2009) and the newest The Purge which was dreadful.

I don't want to derail the thread into Michael Bay debate so anybody can make of it what they will, I'm still going to watch the show for a few episodes at the least, after Spartacus you can't go wrong giving Starz a chance (unless it's Camelot then go gently caress yourself Starz)

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 22, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hate Micheal Bay as much as the next guy, but i'm all in with this - R-rated pirate show with MB's bottomless wallet, no brainer.

Starz has some big balls, occasionally it's bound to step on them e.g, Camelot which had some pretty great scenery chewing by Eva Green, and introduced Phillip Winchester from Strike Back.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Looks like we have a fixed date: January 25th.

The last few years I've had a great lineup to television shows to watch, and two of them ended (Spartacus and Breaking Bad). I'm really hoping this joins Justified and Game of Thrones as poo poo I aim to catch every week.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
This should be great. Though I don't know if this guy they have playing Captain Flint is fearsome enough to be an entertaining pirate. That Blackbeard miniseries from a while ago did a good job casting Purefoy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That trailer makes this look like it's really cheaply filmed and reminds me of Xena.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Mu Zeta posted:

reminds me of Xena.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I don't know if it is going to be good or not, but I'm definitely tuning in for the first couple of episodes.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

It can't be cheap because they have a loving boat and that thing is expensive even if it is a rental , but the lighting is really different and the look is really digital?? so it could be that.

Also Jody is in there so it is cool in my book.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

That trailer makes this look like it's really cheaply filmed and reminds me of Xena.

They built a huge ship set in Cape Town that looks great and we'll just have to see how they can portray the battles at sea. Shooting in South Africa does mean they can get lots of extras and huge pyrotechnics on a small budget like in Strike Back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9q6IcpGjlM

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lamadrid posted:

It can't be cheap because they have a loving boat and that thing is expensive even if it is a rental , but the lighting is really different and the look is really digital?? so it could be that.

Also Jody is in there so it is cool in my book.

Reminder that Camelot cost $70 million. Things can look cheap even with everything going for it. That said it's just a trailer and way too early to judge.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

That trailer reminds me of Xena.

In other words, it looks awesome.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Reminder that Camelot cost $70 million. Things can look cheap even with everything going for it. That said it's just a trailer and way too early to judge.

Rome cost 50 million a season and looked like it was on a high budget film set.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I thought the trailer looked great. :smith:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Hughmoris posted:

I thought the trailer looked great. :smith:

I did, too. I'm not looking for Shakespeare or The Wire here. I want something full of back-stabbing, politicking characters, hot women (and hot men for the straight women and gay friends I'll watch this with), sword fights, shootings, and all seven sins.

I just want more Spartacus. But I hope this'll do in a pinch.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Opening credits via EW:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/12/30/black-sails-opening-credits/

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
McCreary's changing things up. I expected a lot of BSG-like drums (being on a ship and all, seemed like a perfect fit), but got some bagpipe-like rock instead. Liked it a lot better the second time through.

edit: According to the article, it's this thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurdy_gurdy which is pretty lol actually, not even close to a bagpipe.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 31, 2013

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Mu Zeta posted:

Party Plane Jones posted:

Black Sails only cost 25 mil apparently. Granted it's just 8 episodes and they don't seem to be splurging on any big name actors.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

That looks awesome, hopefully a sign of things to come.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Party Plane Jones posted:

The first season actually had a budget of over $100 million and the second had something like half of that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This is :black101: as gently caress and I am ashamed that I didn't see it before today.
I want that theme song asap.

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.
I just watched the pilot (it's available online). I enjoyed it. The acting left a little to be desired at points, but overall it was a quality pilot.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Well it was a hell of a lot better than the Spartacus pilot. I liked pretty much everything except Silver seemingly trying to channel Johnny Depp at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Other then the gratuitous sex scenes this looks like it'll be a pretty great pirate show.

• Locked thread