Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #2: Eve of Adventure

Soundtrack: Rabanastre

- Vaan shrugged it off. He said he'd buy a new airship, and he never even talking about the treasure we'd found. It was as though our adventures were only dreams, dreams that faded day by day under the brilliant Rabanastre skies. We went back to the quiet lives we'd always led, like nothing had ever happened. But it wasn't to last... -

"He's sure been in good spirits, considering what happened to his airship."

"Life's not all adventures and treasures, you know. There's a lot to be said for peace and quiet."

"Vaan!"

"There's an airship headed toward the city. But not just any airship. It's older than any airship I've ever seen. You remember the legend about the lost sky continent?"

- When Vaan gets that look in his eye, it never is. -

Soundtrack: Dungeon 1 Field

"What's so important we have to come out here in the middle of the night?"

"And how come we didn't bring Penelo?"

"Shh! Just try and keep up, okay?"

Soundtrack: Field 1 - Battle 1 (Giza Plains)

"Something's up. You wanted an adventure, right? Time to get your hands dirty."

- Units deal one of three types of damage. Knowing when to use which can mean the difference between victory and defeat. -

- Think of it as a rock-paper-scissors relationship. We'll examine the relationship of the units over the course of the following battle. -

- Objective: Defeat all enemies! Vaan must survive. -

- Ranged units are designed to stand back and deal damage, leaving them vulnerable to attacks from nearby units. Send in melee units to quickly dispatch any ranged units you encounter. -

"This one's all mine!"

- Flying units are easy map targets for a skilled marksman. Any type of ranged attack, whether from archers or mages, will send flying units crashing to the ground. -

"I sure hope this works..."

"You can do it, Kytes! Just throw some magick its way."

If you remember back to the first battle, Balthier and Fran were ranged units as well. Kytes has a focus on black magic spells, as opposed to Balthier and Fran's guns and bows.

- Melee units attack at close range, so they have a hard time reaching flying units. This makes flying units the perfect counter to melee attacks. -

"That leaves this one for me!"

At this lull in the battle let me show you the info you get about Filo and Kytes on the top screen. It will tell you if they're melee, ranged, or flying. You get similar information about your foes, so you're always able to plan ahead and use the best character for the job.

"...Or not."

"Vaan--!"

"Here they come!"

This part of the battle is just to reinforce the mechanics the game just taught you.

Characters attack automatically when enemies are close enough. Since the enemies are approaching your characters now, you can literally do nothing and you'll win. I chose to make sure Kytes was attacking, just to speed things up a bit, but it wasn't necessary. After battle, Vaan chimes in.

"This time I think we got 'em all."

Characters gain EXP after every battle. Everyone gets the same amount of EXP for winning, and the amount is fixed for each battle.

Vaan learns the Duel Attack ability at the end of the battle, Kytes learns Firaga, and Filo learns Sonic Wave. Next time: A tutorial on what these abilities are and what they do. We also find out why we're out here at midnight. You'll never guess.

As a little bonus, and to explain the rock-paper-scissors match-up better, I made a chart. Ranged - Flying units interact a bit differently than Melee - Ranged and Melee - Flying, and I think this is to balance out the fact flying units can fly. The difference being able to fly makes will become obvious after a few missions, so don't worry about it this second. I'll explain... in a few missions!

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread