Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #17: Pirates in Peril!

New Folio entry:

Rikken, Elza, and Raz
  • History: Pirates from Balfonheim Port, a den of sea-and skyfaring pirates renowned through Ivalice. They met Vaan during his dealings with their former master, the late Pirate King Reddas. Outwardly as rough as they come, they are nonetheless good-natured and, on the whole, well-intentioned.
  • Lore: It were good seein' you, Vaan! A right proper sky pirate you've grown into. Lord Reddas, rest his soul, would be proud. We're doin' right by him, not to worry. Balfonheim is bein' well looked after. Now hadn't you be about your sky piratin'?
    -Raz

New logbook entry:

A Hard Bargain
  • I'm full of hidden talents. Maybe i'll teach you someday, Penelo.
    - Filo
  • Lucky for Filo, Rikken's not as cutthroat as he looks.
    - Kytes

New Cu Sith Quiz - Primary Principles:

Flametongue

What makes an adventure an adventure?
  • Life-or-death battles.
  • Scraping by on a few gil.
  • Risk and reward.
How do you like your battles?
  • As strategic as possible.
  • As gruesome as possible.
  • As rare as possible.
What do you extend to a foe who surrenders?
  • An open hand of friendship.
  • An open heart of forgiveness.
  • An open sack for his treasure.

The quiz for the Vesper Pole is the same as the previous quizzes for Penelo, the Cherry Staff and Mythril Staff.

The quiz for the Storm Wand is the same as a previous quiz for Kytes, the Rod of Lightning.

Trident

Why is the sky blue?
  • Never really thought about it.
  • It's a reflection of the ocean?
  • It's something to do with sunlight.
If it was just you and I on a deserted island...
  • We'd get to know each other.
  • I'd have to do the hunting.
  • You could teach me weapon-forging.
Who do you secretly admire?
  • Balthier, I guess.
  • Um... Penelo.
  • Ashe is pretty special.

A new area has opened up! However, Port Maralith has closed now.

Soundtrack: Airship 1 (Near the Water)

"Well, good riddance. I'll take Cu Sith over him any day."

"What, this isn't adventure enough for you? I'm not sure you could take much more than this."

"It's all right, I know how to handle myself."

"And holding an auracite scavenger hunt of all things."

"Still, it was nice to see them again. Up until now, it seems like we've just gone from one battle to the next. We wouldn't want Kytes and Filo to think that's all there is to being a sky pirate."

"I've got me a nose for treasure, and it's high time we went lookin' for some!"

"Who're you supposed to be? Raz?"

"How'd you guess? I think I picked up more than the accent from talkin' to him, though. I think he's got the right idea about being a sky pirate. It's about adventure!"

"Great. Now all you need is a parrot."

With Kytes in such good spirits, let's check out Isshu, Jewel of the Skysea, and what mission it's got in store for us.

- Pirates in Peril! The party tracks the Judge of Wings to the shores of the Muruc Cahuac Skysea, where they happen upon Rikken and his band of pirates. They know something... or at least look like they do. -

Soundtrack: Lighter (Naivety)

"This treasure's ours!"

"This treasure's ours!"

"This is no time to show off! I know those aren't your Espers."

Soundtrack: Battle 1 (Giza Plains)

"Sahagin are vulnerable to lightning attacks. If you attack their weakness, you can make quick work of them."

"Right. Thanks for the advice."

- Objective: Open all of the treasure chests! At least one ally must survive. Rikken, Elza, or Raz must survive. -

The 'special rules' are basically we can only take two of our party members into this fight. I'd ignore Llyud's advice, because although he's correct, Sahagin won't be a huge threat in this battle. Because you can only use two members, and there's no summoning gates, you should have Level II Espers with types matching your leaders. I'll actually be going through this battle twice, to show off two polarized strategies here.

First up, completely pacifist. For the pacifist strategy, i'll be using Penelo and Llyud. This strategy will involve grouping with Rikken and his crew early on, and letting them to all the hard work, and following them around with cure spells. Llyud will protect Penelo until the two groups meet, and also has Revive. Along the way, I will try to mine as many Material Nodes as possible.

Soundtrack: Field 1 - Battle 1 (Giza Plains) This battle plays the battle theme whenever you or Rikken and crew are engaging a foe, so it's not often you hear the field variation.

The yellow arrows on our map are Rikken and crew, so let's head over there.

And there's a material node down there too! Walking close enough to the crew will prompt them to speak.

Well, they're not very trusting.

They'll first head across the beach shore, north, to the soldier, and engage him. I'm going to follow them, and heal them. (Note: This is the plan for the rest of the battle.)

Some treasure chests are mimics! It can be a bit of a shock. Anyway, Rikken's crew are as strong as your party, so it doesn't take a long time for them to down these foes.

Now, back near the starting point, they'll open the chest we starter near to, and pick off a couple of Shivan.

Another glimpse at the map, to see how things are going. We're going to the southernmost treasure chest, while Llyud goes to mine the Material node to the southwest.

The Shivar here are the most dangerous Espers on this field, and will make quick work of Flying type units. Llyud can still help, he probably can't die with these many White Rabbits to heal him!

This chest is a mimic as well!

Anyway, Rikken approaches the last chest, and...

Good for them. But they were kinda rude to us, so let's try another strategy.

For the aggressive strategy, i'll be using Vaan, Kytes, as well as Sagittarius and Tonberry. I might have chosen Balasa over Tonberry given the opportunity, but the fact is i'm not close enough to it on the Ring of Pacts to unlock it, so I had to improvise. It happens. I would not use Filo or Llyud, because due to the Shivar, they are all too frail for this strategy. Also, make sure Vaan has the Sprint Shoes equipped. Right, let's begin!

This strategy will aim to open every treasure chest, except those containing mimics.

Send Kytes down to open the treasure chest closest Rikken's crew. Vaan should open the treasure chest right next to the start, and go fight the Soldier.

Once you get the message that Kytes has opened the chest, send him up to help Vaan. Rikken's crew will still fall for the Mimic, so that should give you enough time to race down to the southern chest.

Have Rikken engage the foes near the southern chest, and run past the combat to swipe the treasure. Then, start making your way to the northmost chest.

The Shivar, and a mimic chest, will distract Rikken's crew. You will pass close enough to the Shivar for them to try and engage you, just ignore them. This gives you plenty of time to swipe the chest.

Because Vaan had low HP, he died, but his Espers were still alive and Kytes could open the chest.

These two strategies are completely polarized, a casual player may prefer a compromise between the two. All the treasure chests here contain materials though, which perhaps makes material nodes just as valuable. So, If you're trying this mission yourself, here's a few handy charts for you.

And as another bonus, every party member says something different when beginning battle. The Cache also changes colour when different characters hold it, probably some sprite palette limitations thing. Because Llyud always plays second fiddle, I don't think he's got his own line, but here's what Filo and Kytes have to say.

No matter how we go through the battle, the aftermath is the same.

Soundtrack: Suspicion (Auditory Hallucination)

Soundtrack: Pleasant Conversation (Clan Headquarters)

"You've got to keep your eye on the prize. The cutter. The shiny stuff. The treasure!"

"This is going nowhere."

"Leap before you look, yes? And now we best be leapin' off to the next spot of treasure!"

Rikken's crew follow him.

"Looks like we'll have to find the treasure on our own."

"More treasure hunting?"

"You promise?"

Filo and Kytes follow Vaan off.

Next time: We chase Rikken down and get some useful advice!

Mimics in Final Fantasy usually take the form of a sharp-toothed treasure chest. So, why spiders here?

In FFXII, treasure chests looked like urns. A traditional looking treasure-chest mimic would make no sense, and mimics were changed to look like the treasure chests of FFXII in their resting state, unfurling into their spider-like forms when the player tried to open the urn. So in Revenant Wings, they took the design from FFXII, but put them inside regular treasure chests. It's a bit of an unappealing compromise in my opinion.
In Vagrant Story, another game set in Ivalice, mimics were insects living under regular chests, and that would have been cool for this game. But, y'know. That's not the way things are.

Mimics aren't deadly, they only have a basic attack, the threat with this mission is the time they take to kill when you could be plundering treasure!

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread