Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #29: Finishing up the sidequests in Chapter 6! Stroke of Luck + Rumble in the Jungle + Serpent's Rage + Otherworldly Beauty.

Soundtrack: Airship 2 (Secret Practice)

"I'll have to ask Master Tomaj to make a post on the notice board."

"What are you mumbling about?"

"N-n-nothing! Nothing at all! Your unexpected visit is most appreciated!"

In order to get the mission for Cu Sith, and if you're happy with your current weaponry, you can make a bunch of weapons with low-grade materials. That's what I did! Weapons will get a little spanner icon by their name in the crafting books once they've been made once, so you can keep track of what's been made so far.

- Stroke of Luck: I'm told you're learning your way around the forge, so perhaps this lead on a rare material will interest you. Seek it out in the Underfane amid the ruins of the skysea.

Soundtrack: Field 5 (Challenging the Empire)

"The bill on the notice board sounded suspicious to me."

"I have heard much of it, but never have I seen it firsthand."

"Then this must be our lucky day!"

"Let's grab it before someone else does!"

- Objective: Acquire the everburn. At least one ally must survive. -

Everything in this battle is fire type, bring water espers. This is the exact same troupe I used in the last story mission, no need to change it up at all.

Soundtrack: Field 5 - Battle 5 (Challenging the Empire)

Also, we're bringing Fran, just to show off her stuff!

This battle is fairly bland otherwise. It's a walk around and kill things fight. I'll be travelling around the map in a Z pattern, going to the southmost node first. Then straight north via the other two material nodes, until finally east to the Everburn.

The southmost node is pretty easy to get to, so lets talk about Fran instead.

Fran starts with two abilities, Blind Arrow and Sleep Arrow. These two are described in game as "inflicting Blind/Sleep on one foe" but that's not really accurate. What they do rather, is give Fran a buff that attaches the status ailment to her regular attack, eg: Blind Arrow makes all her regular attacks inflict Blind. These buffs last for 15 seconds each, and the ailments they inflict only last for a few seconds.

We're too the next node. Anyway, I find Blind Arrow more useful, as Sleep wears off foes when they are attacked, so it kinda does nothing. So Kytes ranged attacks fling elemental blasts, and Fran flings status ailments around, it's a cool contrast they give each other.

Heading to the Everburn, I actually kill every single monster on the field. That isn't necessary, but nothing i've done in this battle up until now has been really. I just had to grab the Everburn and get out, but instead, everything died.

Finally, Llyud and Vaan do the mining while everyone else takes a breather.

Everburn is in very finite supply. You'll get one piece here, and won't be able to find an infinite supply until close to the endgame. But by equipping Kytes with the Goblin Pouch, you can get an extra piece of Everburn as reward for this mission. So equip that pouch!

Soundtrack: Shop Menu (Rabanastre Downtown)

"Wow, you found it!? I can't believe it was actually there!"

Master Tomaj! I would never lie to you!"

"You might say I heard about this ore from... unconventional sources. You might also say that source was Cu Sith. She said she knew where to find just the right materials to help you along with your crafting."

"What do you expect? It's Tomaj."

"Yeah!"

"May it bring new depths to your knowledge of crafting!"

These weapons have high base-stats for this time of game (and by the time you get the infinite supply of Everburn, they're pretty mundane) so that's why you'll want two pieces of Everburn for right now. And we're done here! Let's head back to the Sky Saloon and see how Cu Sith is celebrating.

Soundtrack: Airship 2 (Secret Practice)

"You should try it at once!"

"Don't mind if I do! I still haven't figured out how you knew where to find it, though."

"It's all in the Artificer's Codex, a tome handed down since - well, since I don't know when! It contains the accumulated wisdom of Cu Sith through the ages."

"Sounds like a handy thing to have."

"Oh, it is! I hope one day to add my own recipes to the Codex. This is what inspires me to work to diligently at my trade."

I'll post the quizzes in that book at the start of the next update, in the usual place. Unfortunately, the rest of the sidequests in this update have nothing to do with Cu Sith. Let's get on with them!

- Rumble in the Jungle: The deserted isle we were marooned on has been racked by tremors. I've pinpointed the source to the Zwaua Rainforest. We owe it to the island to check it out.

Soundtrack: Dungeon 2 Field (Infiltration)

"You seem distressed."

"Kytes hates earthquakes."

"You would, too, if you weren't flying all the time."

- Objective: Defeat Hashmal! At least one ally must survive. -

Most of the monsters here are weak to fire. There's a few water espers, probably to throw you off bringing an all-fire troupe. (Not enough apparently, as I do bring an all fire troupe.) By the way, Llyud is required for this battle, for reasons that will become clear in the aftermath...

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 4 (Esper)

I've been doing it for a while in this LP, but sometimes I bring in 4 espers rather than the full 5. Troupe decks need one level I esper, but for some battles, they're not really useful. So I bring in one level I esper, so the game only starts me with one sort of esper that's less useful than the rest.

Looking at the map, we start near to a material node. There's also a node to the east. Flying units can actually cross the water here, and fly straight to the eastern node, but it's protected by ranged espers. So i'm taking the long way around.

Also, Hashmal is in the northmost grid of nine dots.

There's a cliff with rows of Shivar about it, who will snipe attacks on your units from above. Keep Llyud and Filo a bit away, and use Kytes (and/or Fran) to clean them up.

Down by the other node, look at how much damage Filo is taking from the ranged dragons. Good thing we didn't send her and Llyud in alone.

Once everything else on the field is dead, Hashmal and the Golems flanking his side will head south for you! This gives you time to mine the node, and warning to set up your buffs before he reaches you.

He's not that hard though.

Scratch more "wander around and kill things" battle.

Soundtrack: Air Castle (Abandoning Power)

"Yeah, but who's gonna take care of Kytes?"

"Hey, I stood and fought!"

"He's right. Beating your fear took a lot of courage, Kytes."

"Perhaps hope is where courage begins."

- Fanfare rings from the heavens to fortify all ally Yarhi. -

Kytes overcomes his fear, Llyud gets the reward, ppfth figures. I'll show off Llyud's gambit at the first possible opportunity, but spoilers, not during this update unfortunately. Hashmal also appears on our Ring of Pacts, free for us to recruit sometime. Don't let the number of screenshots make you think the battle is quick, there's just not much of note happening. Fights like this one just drag on way too long. Speaking of fights that drag on too long, here's another one.

- Serpent's Rage: I've charted a new island left in the wake of the skysea's destruction. The island may be small, but there's big trouble brewing. The lord of the skysea rages, and there's no one to hold him at bay.

Soundtrack: Battle 5 (Challenging the Empire)

"His home was destroyed. I doubt that put him in a good mood."

- Objective: Defeat Leviathan! At least one ally must survive. -

There's summoning gates here, so I can bring a level III esper. I choose Ramuh, as his flying/electric combo is the perfect comeback to Leviathan's melee/water.

Soundtrack: Field 5 - Battle 5 (Challenging the Empire)

A long winding course with enemies positioned sparsely, and the first summoning gate aways away from the starting point.

Once I get there though, I summon Ramuh and dismiss some of level I espers.

The next summoning gate is just before the fight with Leviathan. The last gate is behind Leviathan, and I don't capture it in this fight. Take some time to bulk up your espers and cast buffs.

Because if you lose here, you have to do the whole walk back. Not that Leviathan is tough, he's pretty drat weak actually.

Just keep on your guard!

"We tried to keep the island from being destroyed, we really did."

"Penelo!"

"We're doing what we can to put an end to all this... so please..."

Leviathan is available on the Ring of Pacts even without doing this mission.

But this next mission is tough, probably the toughest of the sidequest set. There's a good reason I left it until lucky last!

- Otherworldly Beauty: Sometimes beauty and the beast are one and the same. A scion of unsurpassed beauty wait at the Dais of the Auracite in the Underfane on the broken skysea. The sight alone should be worth the journey!

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 4 (Esper)

"Is that... Ultima?"

- Objective: Defeat Ultima! At least one ally must survive. -

It is lucky that all the enemy espers are fire type (except Ultima herself, who is holy) and thus weak to water. Also note Penelo is compulsory for this fight, but you'd want to bring her anyway. At level 25, Penelo learns Raise, which is similar to Llyud's revive except it doesn't consume HP to cast. It's a useful ability to have along.

Soundtrack: Boss Battle 4 (Esper) continues.

This battle is a battle of preparation, and understanding how the fight works. My party is about level 28 on average, but that's fairly low for this fight, with Ultima being at level 33. Other players might prefer to leave it until later in the game. Having Fran on your side is certainly an advantage here, as Fran joins at a high level.

There are bombs in the center of the field here, and just kill them. There are two summoning gates, and an attempt to capture either one will make every foe on the field aggro to you (As in, Ultima and all the foes in front of the gates). I won't be capturing the gates in this fight to avoid this, but it is possible to capture the gates and win!

Get Leviathan out ASAP, and cast your buffs at the staircase leading to Ultima.

Ultima's attack here is called Eschaton, and it pierces forward in a straight line. It's pretty devastating to level I or II espers, but level III espers and leaders can tank it. Since the level is full of narrow paths, and this attack hits in a straight line, be careful not to get too bunched up!

If i'd chosen to capture a summoning gate, the things I summon wouldn't have to walk across the whole arena to get to me. However, the two clusters of monsters in front of the summoning gates will remain non-aggro for the rest of the fight.

More espers will spawn from behind Ultima. Bombs are easy to pick off, and the fight it almost won anyway!

Sometimes, a "get things done quickly" strategy works better than a "be thorough" strategy, and I feel it works that way in this fight. However, again, this is a tricky battle.

"Kinda like Penelo!"

"What was that?"

- Dance of Rapture fully restores the HP of all allies and removes all debuffs. -

Also, as a result of winning here, Ultima appears on the ring of pacts. And with that, we're completely done with Chapter 6 sidequests! Next time, it's back to the story missions. Back to looking for Balthier.

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread