Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ok Amazing
Apr 7, 2012

Final Fantasy Job Faire
Update #37: Chapter 8 intro

New folio entries:

The Underworld
  • History: A common aegyl expression for Ivalice. Though the aegyl are children of Ivalice, they challenged her gods and were banished to the skies for this heresy. The sorrow of their loss soon turned to anger, and they embraced their exile, swearing off all contact with the world they'd left below.
  • Lore: You are now a people of the clouds. Leave all thoughts of the underworld behind - they need not burden you. Your place is here, in Lemurés, and no other. Stray not from the Canon, and the cup of peace shall ever be full for you.
    - The Canon, Book of Ardor, Canto XX

The Chronicles
  • History: A scroll found in the Glabados Ruins detailing the origins of Lemurés and the history of the aegyl. Of particular note are the passages describing the rise of the aegyl against the Occuria and their defeat and exile that were to follow.
  • Lore: Once they walked Ivalice beside her gods. But kneel before them they would not. So they rose against them, and so sealed their doom among the skies.
    - Prologue

Under The Chronicles folio entry, there is also an option to view the scroll from last update, if you ever wanted to see it again.

We've got an airship to visit, heading into Chapter 8.

You'll see our airship starts right where we left it. The Leviathan is dead center of our world map, so lets... yeah, you guessed it.

Soundtrack: Airship 1 (Near the Water)

There are some new side missions to tackle right now, and we'll get around to those later in the chapter.

"Or maybe to help us get back to the ship. Or both."

"Do you think Mydia can really go back to what she was?"

"We made it back. Anything's possible."

"The aegyl won't really be all right until we destroy all the auraliths, will they..."

"What is it?"

"The Stone you carry, Vaan. You found it in a ruin in the underworld. What was a piece of auracite doing beyond the borders of Lemurés?"

"That's a good question. There's a lot of things about that Stone that bother me, too. I think we need to find some answers in Ivalice."

"Will we find all the answers we seek waiting for us in the underworld?"

"We haven't been doing this for thanks, Tomaj. It's the right thing to do."

"I won't argue with that. But it's still nice to be appreciated. This is hard work! Before we go running off on the queen's business, you might want to take a look at the notice board. Just because you take time off to rest doesn't mean I do!"

"I thought getting their anima back would make them all better."

"Maybe the feelings they're having now are different."

"Well, I hope they learn that there are good feelings, too."

"That makes two of us."

"I wonder what Llyud's thinking. It can't be easy to have your friends think of you as a traitor."

"My business is my own."

"Fine, don't tell me."

"I held a lovely lady in my hand, and I wanted to see her properly tended to."

"I don't even wanna know."

"The depth of the Stones is more than we can imagine. Like a woman and her wiles. Don't let yourself be taken in, Vaan. Hear me?"

All this comparison of women and stones is weird, Balthier, when you consider that you shot your stone to pieces.

Now, we head out to the sky saloon. All of the generic characters say the same things as they did last update, but our main cast has new conversation options. Fran's also out there, while Balthier is in here. I guess those two don't have the ability to be in two parts of the airship at once, like everyone else, so let's get out there.

Soundtrack: Airship 2 (Secret Practice)

"Hello! Anybody home?"

"Sorry. I was just thinking. Ever since we got back from the Yarhi's world, Llyud's been different."

"He doesn't seem all that different to me."

"You never notice these kinda things. Trust me, he's different. But it's 'good' different! You sure you haven't noticed anything different about Llyud?"

"She's always been like that. You know how those viera are. I'm glad you decided to listen to her."

"Far be it from me to ignore the wishes of a lovely viera. Even if Fran hadn't told me to wait for you, what else do you think I would do? I've never been one to leave my friends high and dry, no sir!"

No, Tomaj, there's no saving face.

"What did happen between you and the Judge of Wings?"

"We encountered her before you. She sought the impossible. To use the power of the Eternal to restore life to the unliving. The rest, you know."

"You fought her and lost?"

"Yes."

"What happened then?"

"You nursed Balthier back to health, right?"

"I wouldn't be much of a partner had I not. Something stirs in Ivalice."

"It has been awhile. She's too busy running the kingdom for something like this, though. Isn't she?"

"Too busy to see you, that's for sure!"

"Ashe wouldn't do that. At least I don't think she would..."

"Well, try to show her some respect for once, okay?"

"When haven't I?"

"Remember, Ashe is queen now, Vaan. Queen! You have to watch how you talk around her."

"Balthier was telling me some stuff, and I was wondering if you could help me get it all straight."

Sorry, Kytes, but i'm going to have to say not right now.

"Okay. I'll think about it some more on my own."

Alright, alright, why not hear him out?

"Where should I start?"

Kytes will give us a recap of these two big plots points in the story so far, which is cool if you've forgotten some important things. First, we'll hear about Lemurés.

"Let's see... A long, long time ago, the aegyl lived in Ivalice, too. But the Occuria turned against them."

"Right. And that's when they ran away to Lemurés."

"But the Occuria made a barrier around Lemurés, and the aegyl were trapped there."

"No wonder they hold a grudge against Ivalice."

"Yeah, I guess it's not all the sky pirates' fault. Wanna hear about anything else?"

Next, is a reminder about Feolthanos. We heard about him at the start of the game, and then not for a while, so a recap on him right now is a very timely idea.

"Feolthanos is the god of the aegyl."

"He's been using the auraliths to steal their anima, and that's where the Yarhi come from."

"That's why we've gotta destroy all the auraliths!"

"Exactly."

"And even the Judge of Wings is doing what Feolthanos says. So if we could figure out who he is, we might learn more about her, too."

And we're just about done here.

"I'm still a bit confused, but I'll figure it out as we go."

"They do?"

"Take you and Balthier, for example. You didn't really hate him, yet you struck him."

"You saw that, did you? It's kinda hard to explain. It was a conversation I didn't want to have with him. So I kept it short."

"Queen Ashe, she is your friend?"

No, we're not going to hit her to prove she's our friend either.

"The Strahl, kupo! Sky pirates, kupo! There it was, kupo! Help, kupo! The aegyl, kupo!"

"Don't get your pompom in a knot. Just slow down and start from the beginning."

"No time to explain, kupo! We must act at once! Kupo kupo!"

"All right, all right! I'll do what I can, just calm down. If the Strahl's in trouble, we'll help."

"You must, kupo! It's a matter of life and death! Of course, kupo! I'll post it on the notice board so you don't forget!"

These two. :allears:
This is a conversation we only get after crafting enough weapons, and I'm glad to have reached this threshold as soon as possible this time. It opens up a sidequest.

"I'll have to have a long talk with him before he goes near another airship engine. Kupo..."

"I thought you'd never ask! I got caught on one of this ship's wings, and Master Tomaj came to my rescue! He saved my life, he did!"

"And what about before that?"

"I came from a place beyond the clouds!"

"I thought we were already in a place beyond the clouds..."

"I've never felt more safe than I do now. And I owe it all to Master Tomaj!"

Its kind of sad to remember that Cu Sith is a Yarhi, isn't it? Now we know all we do about Yarhi and all...

That's all that's new for our sky saloon, for now. It's time to pay the Leviathan a visit.

Soundtrack: Ashe's Theme

"They fight using beasts unlike any we've seen. The sky pirates use some sort of magicked stone to summon them."

"We've heard of these Yarhi and Lemurés from such sky pirates as we've managed to capture. We cannot allow stones of such power to fall into just any hands. It could mean another war... or worse."

"The Empire is studying them, but we want your help until the situation is brought under control."

"Then it's settled. Than you, Vaan."

"Seems like a good opportunity for both of us, though. I was hoping we could go back to Ivalice to find out more about Mydia and the Cache."

"We'll take on another member of our party there."

"Another member? Who?"

- Ashe joins the party! -

- Basch joins the party! -

Politics are boring, but it's reassuring to know that some of the major political players in Ivalice aren't completely apathetic about somebody trying to conquer the place.

A new location for us to visit opens up...

A location down in Ivalice.

Well, you can tell where we're going next time.

Of the six playable characters in the original FFXII, Basch and Ashe were the only two we'd have yet to see in Revenant Wings... up until now. And they were some of the most important party members, plot wise. People who've played the original FFXII have probably been wondering when these two would show up, and those who haven't probably don't know what's going on. But that's their deal basically. They've also been name dropped in this game a couple of times before, mostly in Cu Sith's quizzes. Maybe foreshadowing, maybe not, the point is they're here and playable again now.

Their upcoming logbook and folio entries will summarise their history better than I ever could, so I'm going to ask those who are confused to just sit tight until the next update.

ok Amazing fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread